First mot issues

At 18,558 miles our Superb had it's first mot, rather disappointing to find that it has four advisories, 1, unable to inspect various underside components due to undershields. 2nears side front tyre worn close to legal limit /worn on edge the inner edge is slightly worn.3, same for offside tyre. 4, front brake disc worn ,pitted or scored but not seriously weakened slightly corroded on the inner faces.

It does stand outside but we have never encountered such issues on previous new/ almost new vehicles.

Are the brake disc's made of aluminium nowadays.

Does anyone think the tyre wear is excessive at this mileage / age (Bridgestone Potenza S001) I wonder if the tracking / camber is out.

Martin.

• Groan 1

None of those would surprise me.
1. Halfords who last did the MOT said they inspectthe drive shafts through the opening in the inner arch, so no advisory on that one.
2 and 3. Do you tend to take corners in a “spirited” manner? I ask as my son tears through front tyres at an alarming rate (worn to the limit on the outer 1/3 of the tyre in 12k) yet in insists he doesn’t take corners that hard, til I pointed out he was generating about 5g at my neck as he whipped his CLK500 round corners. I took over driving, showed him what he does and he’s now slowed down. Or it could be low tyre pressures. 

4. I’ve had that mentioned on the 22/23 MOT but not on the 23/24 one. I think it’s down to “visible interpretation”. 

• Confused 1

@kentdale

How far back was the Service done, days / miles.  

Get onto them if the Inspection never picked up on the tyres.  The Dealer Principal, not the Service Manager or Service Desk staff. 

Was it the Main Dealership that did the MOT and these advisories are from the MOT,  or are we talking one visit, Service & MOT,d?

@numskullWhat was a MOT examiner @ Halfrauds on about with the driveshafts, checking gaiters. 

Edited by Rooted

55 minutes ago, kentdale said:

Full service at Skoda, yes I check stuff, planning to keep it for a long time but not sure now, old Volvo was a lot less trouble than this.

Less trouble than maybe a little bit of premature tyre wear is less but not a lot less and hardly worth changing a vehicle over, the hassle of doing that and the chances of ending up with something that really is trouble far outweigh having the tracking checked and some new rubber.

Keep a closer eye on the tyre tread depths and pressures, that advisory really should not have come as a surprise.

• Like 2

i would'nt  worry about advisories, alot of garages use advisories as a means of picking up work  😄 

next time get your mot done at a council run mot place,

you rarely get advisories when you take your car to a council run mot place as they dont do repairs,

says it all imo

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rooted said:

numskullWhat was a MOT examiner @ Halfrauds on about with the driveshafts, checking gaiters. 

Probably. TBH he didn’t volunteer the info; I asked if the under trays caused issues for the inspections and he said not really, as they can inspect the driveshafts though the wheelarch. 

11 hours ago, kentdale said:

Full service at Skoda, yes I check stuff, planning to keep it for a long time but not sure now, old Volvo was a lot less trouble than this.

My 272 and my previous 4x4 diesel has never had any issues with age. And mileage apart from the usual Maintenence stuff. Those mot advisories are nothing really don’t worry. As already said. Get the alignment checked properly from time to time and as for brakes you’ll probs find once discs and pads have been changed for aftermarket. Ate/brembo/zimmerman they be totally fine

itll keep you right for many more miles so don’t panic  

• Like 2

Strong lesson here (bit late for Op, but useful reminder to others), good idea to swap wheels front-back at 10k - 13k miles to even out wear.  And to make sure pressures are set correctly.

• Like 2

Just to add a strange twist to the tyre wear , I can confirm that the two front tyres are wearing on the outside edge not the inside edge, there is about 4 mm of  tread across the tyres but the outer edge is feathering .

The mot tester got the inside/ outside mixed up somehow.

I will get the car tracking checked asap.

Martin