Failed MOT

ayrshiredude

So my Kamiq SE L is coming up to the 3 years mark and had its MOT'd yesterday and it Failed.  Done 22000 miles and they say the rear break pads are worn and the disks are unstable and require to be changed.  Kinda shocked at this on a car that has been looked after and a fairly low mileage.  Interestingly my Dad's 4 year old Karoq failed for the same reason but the front the day before.

@ayrshiredudeThey must get used lots then, or not enough and worn cleaning off rust.

Did you not get the car serviced before the Manufacturers Warranty expired and the MOT was due, no brake fluid change at 3 years / 30,000 miles or tested?

Is it the Skoda Main Dealership that did the MOT?  

???

In what way has it been well looked after if you never knew about the brakes before a MOT examiner told you?

EDIT are the cars parked near the Sea / Clyde?

Edited by Rooted

My rear discs just the same at 3 years/ 11000 miles - had an advisory about them at 2 years service so expected it. I had car serviced (and discs/pads changed) immediately before mot to avoid failure. I am a very light footed driver using brakes very rarely and my independent brilliant mechanic said use them or lose them. He said that my discs would rust/wear less  if I applied some heavier braking more often.  Exactly the same scenario on my previous two Yetis.

Edited by Yetiflute

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

@ayrshiredudeThey must get used lots then, or not enough and worn cleaning off rust.

Did you not get the car serviced before the Manufacturers Warranty expired and the MOT was due, no brake fluid change at 3 years / 30,000 miles or tested?

So the service isn't due for another year according to the car.  It was serviced last year, again when the car told me to have it serviced.  It wasn't at a main dealer it was at my local garage I have been dealing with for years.

Yeah I do live by the sea and, particularly during winter, it can get wild.

1 hour ago, ayrshiredude said:

So my Kamiq SE L is coming up to the 3 years mark and had its MOT'd yesterday and it Failed.  Done 22000 miles and they say the rear break pads are worn and the disks are unstable and require to be changed.  Kinda shocked at this on a car that has been looked after and a fairly low mileage.  Interestingly my Dad's 4 year old Karoq failed for the same reason but the front the day before.

You'll see my very recent experiences of the very same problem elsewhere - the difference being my car only covered 13k miles.

If you don't want to pay main dealer prices for the same crappy replacements and find fast-fit centres equally as expensive or in my case local brake dealers even more expensive than Skoda! I can recommend using EuroCarParts. You won't find the brakes and pads much cheaper but it also has the benefit of being able to select a local'sih garage who can fit them in a matter of days. I bought Bosch discs and pads and had them fitted for approx £180. in plenty of time b4 the MOT restest.

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

???

In what way has it been well looked after if you never knew about the brakes before a MOT examiner told you?

🤪 

Ayrshiredude - I requested my car be given a pre-MOT check a the week b4 the MOT was due ( at the same garage). The car was serviced 48hr b4 the MOT was due. Nobody suggested it'd fail, quite the opposite. I was told the car may need new discs/pads b4 the MOT the following year.  It was only when the car was put on a rolling road during the MOT test itself they discovered the point of failure on the discs.

When I posted my findings elsewhere, once all the conspiracy theorists arguments were put to bed, one person then questioned why I bothered having a car with such low mileage !!!  FFS

• Cheeky 1

11 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

You'll see my very recent experiences of the very same problem elsewhere - the difference being my car only covered 13k miles.

If you don't want to pay main dealer prices for the same crappy replacements and find fast-fit centres equally as expensive or in my case local brake dealers even more expensive than Skoda! I can recommend using EuroCarParts. You won't find the brakes and pads much cheaper but it also has the benefit of being able to select a local'sih garage who can fit them in a matter of days. I bought Bosch discs and pads and had them fitted for approx £180. in plenty of time b4 the MOT restest.

🤪

Ayrshiredude - I requested my car be given a pre-MOT check a the week b4 the MOT was due ( at the same garage). The car was serviced 48hr b4 the MOT was due. Nobody suggested it'd fail, quite the opposite. I was told the car may need new discs/pads b4 the MOT the following year.  It was only when the car was put on a rolling road during the MOT test itself they discovered the point of failure on the discs.

When I posted my findings elsewhere, once all the conspiracy theorists arguments were put to bed, one person then questioned why I bothered having a car with such low mileage !!!  FFS

If my car had been serviced just 2 days b4 the MOT, I'd be asking questions about why were the brakes not been checked during the service as they should have been. Did you actually see the brakes on the car? 

My dealer sends me a video of anything like that so I can make a judgement call on it.

1 hour ago, Graham Butcher said:

I'd be asking questions about why were the brakes not been checked during the service as they should have been.

Should they?

4 hours ago, ayrshiredude said:

they say the rear break pads are worn and the disks are unstable

Thats a new one on me, sounds like they need therapy!

• Like 2

Our 5 year old Karoq is on it's original pads/discs and my one year old Kamiq is also fine, we live in Worthing so a salty atmosphere. Surprised when discs fail so early.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

Should they?

Thats a new one on me, sounds like they need therapy!

My old car was coming up to its 10th year and still had the original discs on it, and every time it was serviced, the dealer always did a full safety check on it at the same time, regardless of the type of service being carried out. One odd thing though, on its 5th MOT, there was an advisory to say that a spring was corroded and ought to be replaced before next test. The spring was never replaced, and it never appeared again on the tests as an advisory either, so I'm guessing it was a new tester at the time.

The other thing that always puzzled me is that they would always write on the notes that they had to remove items blocking forward vision, that would be my Tom Tom, mounted low in the middle of the dash, I wonder how the tester would cope with a Citroen DS23 for example as their rearview mirror is fixed in the location 🤔

Edited by Graham Butcher

On 09/11/2023 at 12:14, Breezy_Pete said:

Common story on lots of recent Skodas.

In the US GM had so many complaints about rusty discs that they now use discs (rotors there) that resist rusting.

So it can be avoided - I guess VW Group is happy to keep generating business for itself and its dealers by changing pads and discs.

• Like 1