2015 280 Low Coolant

Always happens ! Flying to Canaries tomorrow morning just popped out for a coffee and low coolant warning starting car ….. 

it’s about 8mil below minimum.

Im going to call into Halfrauds on way home for a bottle of coolant to top up anyone confirm what I need ?

All car parking booked so then have to decide if we should call and change reg then go in the Mrs’s i10 … Yuk !

Grrr !

Thanks guys says G13 on the tank and apparently the Halfords stuff is G13 spec.

Would usually only use Skoda stuff but Sunday and flying in early hours beggars can’t be choosers….

Also notice a very slight white deposit around the header filler…. Could be nothing seems to be sealing ok..

Damn its a coolant leak ….. Not enough to drip onto the drive but the dark patches are coolant all right …. Not going to risk the airport run in it …

IMG_6995.jpeg

Thanks guys says G13 on the tank and apparently the Halfords stuff is G13 spec.

Would usually only use Skoda stuff but Sunday and flying in early hours beggars can’t be choosers….

Also notice a very slight white deposit around the header filler…. Could be nothing seems to be sealing ok..

Likely thermostat/water pump housing leaking on front of engine - super common on these engines. Mine was a £700 job to fix inc. parts at my trusted local garage. Skoda quote was over 1K.

I've topped my coolant up with a small amount a couple of times in the 6½ years I've owned the car.  I keep a small bottle mixed in the correct ratio in the boot in case I ever need some when I'm away from home.

Enjoy your holiday in the Canaries.  I'm in Tenerife and you've arrived just when the weather has turned a bit cooler and there's not much sun - it's only 22 degrees!

The thermostat and water pump in this engine is guaranteed to failed🤣 Even you replace it now, it will still fail again.

Some aftermarket water pump has a better quality. 

Edited by elfensin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, elfensin said:

The thermostat and water pump in this engine is guaranteed to failed🤣 Even you replace it now, it will still fail again.

Some aftermarket water pump has a better quality. 

You guys think this will be covered ?

On 28/11/2023 at 17:19, Nick_H said:

You guys think this will be covered ?

Maybe if you can get them to admit it is the problem? I was told today after pressure testing and no fault found with a 1-2cm drop in water coolant bottle level after it was topped up 2500 miles ago,  that "these types of engines use water! " having owned petrol TSI since 2015, that is not my experience. I explained to the technician and he agreed it was a common fault. 'Customer to monitor' so I will monitor..... and then will probably have to go back again. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, numskull said:

The yanks got a winning class action against VAG on this issue. Very unlikely one would win here and it’d be 2041 before it was settled. Ours went earlier this year and that was a £700 fix. 

Ouch 😟

On 27/11/2023 at 19:19, scottishscout said:

The EA888 Engine on the Skoda Superb 280 / 272 is a timing chain not belt. It doesn't need replaced.

Indeed. Perhaps it was the belt drive to the water pump they were talking about?

image.png.6e913a01c46d7cd73e15367d42ea7501.png