Park Distance Control very intermittent

dazzaT4

Have a 2020/70 SE 1st Ed estate, 1.5TSi. Often the PDC unavailable comes up when engaging reverse. It will always work if I switch car off and back on again.

What's going on with it? Any ideas? I've recently gor the 1491 sw update but it's made no difference. 

Thanks 

51 minutes ago, dazzaT4 said:

Have a 2020/70 SE 1st Ed estate, 1.5TSi. Often the PDC unavailable comes up when engaging reverse. It will always work if I switch car off and back on again.

What's going on with it? Any ideas? I've recently gor the 1491 sw update but it's made no difference. 

Thanks 

I would get a update as the latest is 1941

From time to time I get various different systems popping up with 'unavailable'.  Invariably they function within a few seconds. I think it is just a 'feature' of the software. It must load specific software modules when needed, and occasionally doesn't load them quickly enough for its own satisfaction.

• 4 weeks later...

First post after using the forum as a very useful info source with the many software issues I've had with my Octavia since new in 2021.

I've currently got the same issue mentioned here with the parking sensor system failing approx every other engine start (accompanied by a chorus of warning chimes and PDC error messages). This appears to have developed since the car updated itself to 1941 software a few months ago and then applied a more minor update on top of this. The error normally goes away temporarily after restarting the engine but is still very frustrating after I finally thought the car was working properly after 2.5 years and the 1941 update. I have it booked in but first slot isn't until the end of Feb and I'm concerned that getting these software problems resolved is going to get expensive after warranty expires.

If anyone has any knowledge of DIY solution to this one I would much appreciate it. Car is on H56 hardware version.

why does everybody thinks that MIB SW (1941) will solve all the problems?   😁

you need to update the PDC unit or replace it.

I.ve seen a lot of O4 with this problem

Edited by andreiro221

I have the same problem after update to 1941, and calm 2-3 weeks after. What's wrong with Skoda? Instead of driving a normal car, we have to read forums daily and trying to find solution of our problems. Very disapointed of Skoda as a brand, Alfa Romeo that I was driving before was more reliable car than Skoda. 

• Like 1

No, the errors pop out when I start the car, but when I stop the car, and right after that start it again, there are no errors. The dealer told me, bring the car, so we can check it, maybe if will have to stay there some time. It's 70 km from my hometown, thay think that we are not working, only driving the car :) I am very disapointed, Skoda ruined my dream of driving a new car. I what my Alfa back :D

• Like 1

it is common for a new model to have problems in the first 1-2 years.

believe me, modern Alfas are a nightmare to own and repair.  

all major car brands have a lot of problems with software and electronics, even Mercedes, BMW, etc, and if you search on theirs forums you will see.

Edited by andreiro221
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, andreiro221 said:

it is common for a new model to have problems in the first 1-2 years.

believe me, modern Alfas are a nightmare to own and repair.  

all major car brands have a lot of problems with software and electronics, even Mercedes, BMW, etc, and if you search on theirs forums you will see.

Yep, for this reason I never buy a new car within first year after launch at the least.

Ok, but I buy it a year ago, and the model was 3 years old. I see that thay (manifacturers) care only for tha profit thay make. I am sure that thay will solve this problem, but I am sure, too, that another will show after that.

Octavia 4 and Golf 8 will always have SW problems because of the integration they did with all the commands from all the systems on the touchscreen.

VW said that it will return to separate buttons for in car functions in the future models... 

2 hours ago, andreiro221 said:

Because many people don't seem to realise that there are actually a large number (20+) of ECUs in the car, all with their own firmware.

4 hours ago, andreiro221 said:

you need to update the PDC unit or replace it.

I.ve seen a lot of O4 with this problem

Thank you for this. I guess I will have to wait for the dealer to try to fix this then.

I don't have an OBD scanner I'm afraid so there probably isn't a lot I can do about this right now

3 hours ago, Neily03 said:

Yep, for this reason I never buy a new car within first year after launch at the least.

I've definitely learned my lesson with this over the past three years with the Octavia! Bit of a shame as I still think it's a great looking and very practical car and I had this one as a factory order to my preferred spec. However I also need dependable family transport without having to spend lots of time on troubleshooting/unscheduled workshop visits so not sure I'll be keeping it long term at this point.

Yeah, 1941 seems to cause it. Ive got a topic on same problem as well. People are reporting it also. Best response i got from any dealer/shop was to wait it out till next sw update. TBH im now so used to it, that i wait for a ding sound on every start

Just to update on this, a further OTA update that arrived yesterday appears to have fixed the PDC issue on my car tentatively. No further PDC errors after after about 8 engine restarts now. Fingers crossed this continues at least until the next update probably breaks something else!

Spoke too soon on this sadly - PDC errors back again on starting today after not using the car for a few days.

• 3 weeks later...

Have been into my local dealers twice now with PDC errors. They claim that when they checked it there is a Service Bulletin that says it is caused by" Environmental Issues". I told them the car is designed to operate from the Arctic to the Sahara so a mild day in Lancashire should not trigger a fault in the system! I want them to change the PDC unit but they are trying to wriggle out of doing that. I also have the Infotainment instability problem from day one of ownership of the car in January 2022. Been in three times now to the dealers and each time they load new software which fails to sort the problem (curently running 1941). I love the car without these faults but my patience is wearing very thin now.

I have also just started getting PDC error warnings when I turn the car on and put it in reverse.

I'm not sure if a single sensor is at fault or if it's a generic software issue. I'll try the "turn it off and on again" solution tonight to see if that temporarily resolves it.

This has only started happening in the last few weeks.

Mark

Try not to start the car immediately, just press the start button, wait 4-5 seconds and then press the button to start the car. This way works for me not to get the error. I think it's software/firmware problem, it needs time to load. It's startet to show at me 2-3 weeks after update to 1941.