Lane / Travel Assist

HI all.

Can anyone tell me what the Lane/Travel assist is like on the 2022/2023 Superb. 

I had Lane Assist on a 2016 L&K model which was adaptive and kept you in the centre of the lane. Does anyone know if it's been updated or is it still the same. Would be glad to hear from anyone with experience of it on the recent face lifted model as there doesn't seem to be much available info on the inter-web

6 hours ago, mitchec said:

HI all.

Can anyone tell me what the Lane/Travel assist is like on the 2022/2023 Superb. 

I had Lane Assist on a 2016 L&K model which was adaptive and kept you in the centre of the lane. Does anyone know if it's been updated or is it still the same. Would be glad to hear from anyone with experience of it on the recent face lifted model as there doesn't seem to be much available info on the inter-web

I just traded in a 2016 L&K for a 2023 L&K. I have to say that the lane assist doesn’t seem as good as it was on the 2016 model. I did go for the Travel Assist option which is supposed to make it better at staying in the centre of the lane but I’m not really seeing it. And the force required to override it / force it applies to retain the lane seems weaker - too weak IMO. Loving the rest of the car but that bit is slightly disappointing. I’ll build up the courage to have a tinker with VCDS to see if I can improve it, but not just yet!

I have a similar impression that the lane assist is quite passive until you reach the extreme, although its my first experience of Skoda lane assist.

For me this is a good thing & I really like how it is implemented.

When I am driving you feel nothing from the system until you drift next to the line where you have first a vibration before the assist tries to steer you away from the line.

When in ACC and you relax a bit more, it is good at maintaining the lane without feeling like you are jerking left and right.

My previous experience was in Volvo & Mercedes where both systems were extremely tiring to use especially for long journeys because they were very aggressive and always strongly intervening even if you were well within the limits.

In a recent 3h trip in the Skoda, I barely noticed the lane assist was active which for me is exactly what I expect of an assistance system.

On 16/12/2023 at 22:36, nicknorman said:

I just traded in a 2016 L&K for a 2023 L&K. I have to say that the lane assist doesn’t seem as good as it was on the 2016 model. I did go for the Travel Assist option which is supposed to make it better at staying in the centre of the lane but I’m not really seeing it. And the force required to override it / force it applies to retain the lane seems weaker - too weak IMO. Loving the rest of the car but that bit is slightly disappointing. I’ll build up the courage to have a tinker with VCDS to see if I can improve it, but not just yet!

Like yourself I had a 2016 L&K but I part exchanged it for 2021 Octavia Mk4 which came with Lane Assist. To my amazement it wasn't the same as the original Lane Assist as the Superb L&K but something that just stopped you going over lane markings. As a result of this I got myself a second hand steering wheel and upgraded the software to activate Travel Assist which has worked well. It has better torque on the steering when going around bends and does keep you in lane better.

Anyway getting back on track. I am getting a 2023 L&K next weekend which does have Travel Assist, Predictive ACC, TSR and a few other additions that I didn't have on the original L&K. I suppose I'll find out when I pick it up.

1 hour ago, mitchec said:

Like yourself I had a 2016 L&K but I part exchanged it for 2021 Octavia Mk4 which came with Lane Assist. To my amazement it wasn't the same as the original Lane Assist as the Superb L&K but something that just stopped you going over lane markings. As a result of this I got myself a second hand steering wheel and upgraded the software to activate Travel Assist which has worked well. It has better torque on the steering when going around bends and does keep you in lane better.

Anyway getting back on track. I am getting a 2023 L&K next weekend which does have Travel Assist, Predictive ACC, TSR and a few other additions that I didn't have on the original L&K. I suppose I'll find out when I pick it up.

I think the predictive ACC + TSR can be useful on motorways with variable speed limits etc. For ordinary driving I find it "interesting" because it wants to accelerate to the speed limit - say 60mph on a country road - when you come out of say a 30 limit (even if you had previously set 50) and whilst it does then slow down for corners etc, it takes them at a fairly sporty speed! It also slows right down for roundabouts but of course it doesn't know if there is anything coming - it just keeps on going! So I would say "great giimmick, but not really usable as auto-driving - except on motorways or when there are cars in front.

I suspect that the torque on the steering wheel and how soon it intervenes is something that can be adjusted with VCDS so I'll give that a go at some point. We are also shortly to embark on a long motorway journey so that will be a better test of the lane assist - up til now I've mostly been driving on single carriageway A roads.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nicknorman said:

......it wants to accelerate to the speed limit - say 60mph on a country road - when you come out of say a 30 limit (even if you had previously set 50).

Too true, the problem could surely be sorted quite simply - a software tweek - to remember the speed you've set on the ACC?

Is there an extra option in the driver assistance menus when you have Travel Assist Plus (pACC & extra good lane assist)?

I'm sure I ordered it but I'm starting to doubt I have all of the features.

I seem to have Traffic Assistant which comes with the package, auto stop, wait, drive off in heavy traffic but the lane assist seems to be quite passive on the highway keeping the car in the Center without assistance.

@Gabbo

on 2023 Mk3.FL Lane Assist, by default, activates only manually, by TA button on the steering wheel

i managed to find coding, which activates LA automatically when 60kmh reached,

browse this tread

-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/516414-vcds-options-on-superb-iiifl/

• Like 1

Yes, I have the assist button on the wheel which brings up a menu on the virtual cockpit to enable, lane assist, adaptive cruise control (or speed limiter if I remember).

But this button is available for all cars with ACC or the basic lane assist.

From what I read there is an "Travel Assist Plus" feature which offers enhanced lane assist, traffic assist & "predictive" cruise control as an enhancement to standard ACC.

I seem to have pACC & traffic assist but the Lane Assist isnt so strong at following the lane on the highway (although it works well when crossing a line or driving too close to a line).

5 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

@Gabbo

on 2023 Mk3.FL Lane Assist, by default, activates only manually, by TA button on the steering wheel

i managed to find coding, which activates LA automatically when 60kmh reached,

browse this tread

-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/516414-vcds-options-on-superb-iiifl/

Ah, great thanks, I'll check it out.

I don't mind activating it manually on the highway of needs be for now but I guess it would be better if it automatically activated.

I'll check out your thread ;)

Great summary of both versions...

It's also my 2nd Skoda after 10 years with the Octavia VRS which is still going strong after 220k km.

Do you have the "lifetime" subscription to OBD11? 

I've been looking at something for coding mainly for the Octavia.

I bought a Carista adapter for £13 from Amazon but was disappointed that even reading DTC codes is hidden behind the paywall although you can pay £10 a month for temporary access.

4 minutes ago, Gabbo said:

Do you have the "lifetime" subscription to OBD11? 

more likely, i got Gen1 Pro version from friend,
which didn't required credits at beginning, but since last year it started to ask them for predefined tweaks,
long coding and adaptations still for free

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gabbo said:

This is the safest way to do it anyway (thumbsup)

+1, definitely! lot easier for return, if necessary

just some things have no alternative:
on Mk3 that were closing trunk from interior knob
on Mk3.FL Heating of Steering Wheel Last State Memory, etc.

6 hours ago, Gabbo said:

Yes, I have the assist button on the wheel which brings up a menu on the virtual cockpit to enable, lane assist, adaptive cruise control (or speed limiter if I remember).

But this button is available for all cars with ACC or the basic lane assist.

From what I read there is an "Travel Assist Plus" feature which offers enhanced lane assist, traffic assist & "predictive" cruise control as an enhancement to standard ACC.

I seem to have pACC & traffic assist but the Lane Assist isnt so strong at following the lane on the highway (although it works well when crossing a line or driving too close to a line).

No i don't mean assistants button but Travel Assist.

The one on the right:

image.png.76b1085c41ba0f7739165c3db014ba9b.png.5dff0301bdf5240404750714ee28f955.png

• Love it! 1

6 hours ago, Gabbo said:

Ah, great thanks, I'll check it out.

I don't mind activating it manually on the highway of needs be for now but I guess it would be better if it automatically activated.

I'll check out your thread ;)

Well it looks like you and me both failed to noitice that little button top right on the steering wheel. I think considering the rest of the ACC stuff is on the stalk, we can perhaps be forgiven?! Unfortunately I can't try it until tomorrow but hopefully it will make the Lane Assist actually work properly!

• Haha 1

Thanks @komoornik, I've been for a drive today & found the right button ;)

I'd assumed that it was to switch between ACC & Speed Limiter because when is pressed it before it showed the message "ACC Active".

On a second press it then shows "Travel assist active".

Due to the last day of work traffic, I didn't want to venture into the highway but I'm pretty sure it will work exactly as you both describe ;)

Looking forward to driving with travel assist on my way back to work in January.

Thanks all!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gabbo said:

Thanks @komoornik, I've been for a drive today & found the right button ;)

I'd assumed that it was to switch between ACC & Speed Limiter because when is pressed it before it showed the message "ACC Active".

On a second press it then shows "Travel assist active".

Due to the last day of work traffic, I didn't want to venture into the highway but I'm pretty sure it will work exactly as you both describe ;)

Looking forward to driving with travel assist on my way back to work in January.

Thanks all!

I tried it today. Great, lane assist now works properly just like on my 2016 model. You get yellow side lines in the lane assist icon to tell you it’s working. Only slight niggle is that you have to have ACC engaged to get adaptive lane assist. If you revert to manual speed control eg by touching the brake, you just get the crappy bouncing-off-the-white-lines lane assist. Not sure why they did that! The 2016 car could have adaptive lane assist without ACC engaged.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/12/2023 at 15:28, nicknorman said:

The 2016 car could have adaptive lane assist without ACC engaged.

Do you mean it had working adaptive line assist (ALA) along with the coded Travel Assist (TA)? In my case (2023 with Travel Assist) it works this way, depending on the coding in the ACC module;

- HC_variante coded to 2 (stock setting) - TA option can be turned on, but ALA requires ACC enabled 

- HC_variante coded to 1 - TA option cannot be turned on (the button on the steering wheel becomes useless) but ALA is automatically enabled when you reach 60km/h.

if I understand your case correctly, in your previous car you had working ALA, triggered automatically after reaching 60km/h, and you were still able to switch TA on/off?

On 02/01/2024 at 21:39, bradecline said:

Do you mean it had working adaptive line assist (ALA) along with the coded Travel Assist (TA)? In my case (2023 with Travel Assist) it works this way, depending on the coding in the ACC module;

- HC_variante coded to 2 (stock setting) - TA option can be turned on, but ALA requires ACC enabled 

- HC_variante coded to 1 - TA option cannot be turned on (the button on the steering wheel becomes useless) but ALA is automatically enabled when you reach 60km/h.

if I understand your case correctly, in your previous car you had working ALA, triggered automatically after reaching 60km/h, and you were still able to switch TA on/off?

No not really. It didn’t have Travel Assist. I’m not sure it existed in 2016. It had ACC and Lane Assist. In the car menu there was a tickbox for adaptive lane assist. So Lane Assist, with or without the ACC, could have the Adaptive function or not, they were separate concepts. I always left it ticked so LA was always adaptive. And if LA had a minimum speed, it was very slow,  I think it pretty much worked down to zero speed with or without ACC engaged