Lane / Travel Assist

I tested several configs on my car and here are the results:

- HC_variante =1, point of intervention = early (setting over menu) - Lane Assist gets automatically activated upon reaching 60km/h, it works with lower speeds when ACC was activated with speed > 60km/h. When I activate ACC with lower speed, LA is disabled. Travel Assist button does nothing. Option for the adaptive line assist is present in the Car options menu.

- HC_variante = 2 - I need to activate Travel Assist button to have ALA enabled, without TA (and active ACC) car is bumping from left to right. Option for ALA is present in the car options menu, but when not active, it gets automatically activated when ACC is invoked (and deactivated when ACC is terminated). Here’s the video I recorded that shows described behavior https://drive.google.com/file/d/11uId7noQtTvzJ8fuAjA_csHeCljkrBDX/view?usp=drivesdk

so I assume if you want to have expected behavior you need to have Travel Assist deactivated 

Edited by bradecline

I tried TA on my car this morning on the way to work.

It seems on my car it remembers the last setting & it was already enabled after my experimenting before Xmas.

I will confirm this on my drive home tonight.

The icon on the virtual dashboard changes when TA is enable (orange lines with a slalom symbol in the middle) & the lane assist works much better.

It's really smooth & keeps the car centred without intervention from the driver & didn't require heavy input on my previous Volvo which made its use tiring on long journeys.

I didn't make any modifications except for activating it with the button on the wheel

*I only tried it with ACC Active, I will test without today.

Edited by Gabbo

11 minutes ago, Gabbo said:

*I only tried it with ACC Active, I will test without today.

I expect it won’t work without activated ACC. It works when Travel Assist is totally disabled (with VCDS coding) so the TA button on the steering wheel does nothing. Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you about further results.

7 hours ago, bradecline said:

I expect it won’t work without activated ACC. 

You were correct, it doesn't activate the feature without ACC being activated.

The TA mode is remembered between driving cycles (TA active or ACC only) but you must enable ACC for it to work...

It's my first car with this feature, however in the last Mercedes we had you couldn't really turn of lane assist (or ACC) which I guess is what you both want here on the superb.

The Mercedes lane assist was very aggressive however & the Skoda seems much more subtle & precise

On 17/12/2023 at 15:42, numskull said:

I’ve found the VW Lane Assist system, compared to other manufacturers systems, to be excellent too. The one on a Kia Ceed (🤮) I drove the other day was atrocious; very jerky and over sensitive. 

Had it on the Sportarrrrrrrzhe - jerky but the single worst thing is it sits slightly too far over to the left in the lane. Felt like I’d be trading paint overtaking people

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/01/2024 at 21:46, nicknorman said:

No not really. It didn’t have Travel Assist. I’m not sure it existed in 2016. It had ACC and Lane Assist. In the car menu there was a tickbox for adaptive lane assist. So Lane Assist, with or without the ACC, could have the Adaptive function or not, they were separate concepts. I always left it ticked so LA was always adaptive. And if LA had a minimum speed, it was very slow,  I think it pretty much worked down to zero speed with or without ACC engaged

Travel Assist did exist in 2016 but back then it was called Lane Assist and had adaptive lane guidance to keep you in the centre of the lane as apposed to just bouncing you off the white lines like it does now.

I was a bit annoyed when I changed to an Octavia Mk4 which also had Lane Assist. I was expecting it to work the same as my older Superb MK3, but then found out it had been dumbed down to just keep you in lane 

6 hours ago, mitchec said:

Travel Assist did exist in 2016 but back then it was called Lane Assist and had adaptive lane guidance to keep you in the centre of the lane as apposed to just bouncing you off the white lines like it does now.

I was a bit annoyed when I changed to an Octavia Mk4 which also had Lane Assist. I was expecting it to work the same as my older Superb MK3, but then found out it had been dumbed down to just keep you in lane 

Travel assist is very different - it encorporates everything including predictive speed, self regulation based on signs and gps, route guidance regulation, much tighter lane control, blind spot monitoring

It only came with the FL superb, but the adaptive lane assist was lane control alone with a fancy name. Whereas lane assist is just a little nudge to keep you inside the lines if you drift.

I can fully agree Travel Assist is more then just lane assist + adaptive cruise control.

But I wouldn't really agree I can see any difference between the "old" lane assist and how it works in Travel Assist.

Some time ago I decided to test the setting with TA disabled and I noticed one additional difference I didn’t mention earlier. When you have the TA enabled and you’re in the traffic jam, you don’t need to use the throttle pedal or ACC resume button to start accelerating. It is enough to just have your hands on the steering wheel and the capacitive sensors tekst the movement. For the TA disabled, to continue driving you need to either use the pedal or ACC handle.

I think I’ll keep TA feature disabled so that the adaptive lane assist gets activated without ACC. Personally I perceive this as much more convenient approach.

On 27/01/2024 at 22:36, bradecline said:

Some time ago I decided to test the setting with TA disabled and I noticed one additional difference I didn’t mention earlier. When you have the TA enabled and you’re in the traffic jam, you don’t need to use the throttle pedal or ACC resume button to start accelerating. It is enough to just have your hands on the steering wheel and the capacitive sensors tekst the movement. For the TA disabled, to continue driving you need to either use the pedal or ACC handle.

I think I’ll keep TA feature disabled so that the adaptive lane assist gets activated without ACC. Personally I perceive this as much more convenient approach.

This is exactly how the old Lane assisted worked in slow moving traffic

• Like 1

On 22/12/2023 at 17:19, komoornik said:

No i don't mean assistants button but Travel Assist.

The one on the right:

image.png.76b1085c41ba0f7739165c3db014ba9b.png.5dff0301bdf5240404750714ee28f955.png

I've wondered what that button is for ages, considering the cruise is on a separate stalk I wondered why on earth the speed limiter was there - now it makes sense1