Space saver to the rescue!

Modders

1 hour ago, Modders said:

I’d highly recommend investing a fiver in a wheel alignment pin as there’s not much of a prominence on the hub to get the alloy on to, this was compounded by trying mount the wheel by torchlight at the side of the road.

Brilliant idea! Just ordered one - now £7.00 but worth every penny

• Like 2

l wouldn't take a car off the drive without a spare wheel - either a regular size or space-saver - they've got me out of trouble on numerous occasions.

Soon after getting the Karoq, 5-years ago, I saw an advert or an article mentioning the wheel-alignment tool. I thought what a brilliant idea, and bought one - touch-wood, I haven't had to use it yet. Karoq wheels are b..... heavy and I don't see how, without the alignment tool, you could lift one and put a wheel-bolt in at the same time - unless you had 3 hands.

No matter how new or reliable the car, I would always recommend getting breakdown/rescue insurance. We experienced a tyre blowout in my wife's B-max on the M6 contraflow north of Coventry; it was a cold, rainy November evening as the impatient rush-hour traffic was leaving Birmingham. We pulled in and headed up the embankment as soon as the hard-shoulder could be accessed. The recovery truck duly arrived and was positioned behind the B-max with bright orange lights flashing. The guy swapped the deflated tyre for the space-saver and we were on our way after about 75 minutes. I would not have liked to have changed the wheel in the dark at the side of that road without assistance.

• Like 2

I’ve used one of these rods to change wheels, they are a great help.  However the wheel still rotates around it so going to get a second, then the wheel will be held in the right position to put the other 3 bolts in place.   That’s the only thing that’s better on my past LRs cf Skippy, they had hub bolts and wheel nuts which makes changing way easier, even when the wheel weighs 34kgs.

18 minutes ago, DSL said:

they had hub bolts and wheel nuts which makes changing way easier, even when the wheel weighs 34kgs

I completely agree, I always found changing the wheels on my Defender or Disco much easier thanks to the hub bolts

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DSL said:

’ve used one of these rods to change wheels, they are a great help.  However the wheel still rotates around it so going to get a second,

I bought a pair quite cheaply but being the selfless person I am I gave my now ex UK neighbour one of them for his Octavia, we both have to struggle a tiny bit more with only one but its easier than none.

I can swop the wheels easily enough without them if I'm wearing overalls and have the car jacked up enough, if not I cannot see through the bolt hole in the wheel to see if the threaded hole is behind and there are other holes and things like the disc retaining screw which look the same to my one functioning eye.

At the side of the road at night using the car jack I really need the pilot stud, my method without is to sit on my backside and raise and position the wheel using my shins, no use when sat in a puddle with the car too low and not being able to see the threaded holes.

Found the following tool on Amazon, appears to make changing wheels a lot easier. Of course you may find it cheaper elsewhere.

Sealey WheelEazy™ Wheel Fitting & Alignment Tool - AK7500 - £35

1 hour ago, Karock said:

See post above  same device.

Yes, I ordered using your link and  it was £25 odd with the online voucher.  Thank you!

Hi, I'm just about to take delivery of a Karoq but it didnt come with a spare so I've ordered a space saver off ebay and I now need the kit that keeps it snug under the boot.  If you have a moment, I would really appreciate it if you could see if there is a part number stamped on the polystyrene?  I can then call up the dealer and see how much it would cost to order!  I'm also guessing that the base car doesn't have the pin and spinner to clamp the wheel to the boot well, so I'm hoping the kit comes with that as well!

6 hours ago, cjmason88 said:

Hi, I'm just about to take delivery of a Karoq but it didnt come with a spare so I've ordered a space saver off ebay and I now need the kit that keeps it snug under the boot.  If you have a moment, I would really appreciate it if you could see if there is a part number stamped on the polystyrene?  I can then call up the dealer and see how much it would cost to order!  I'm also guessing that the base car doesn't have the pin and spinner to clamp the wheel to the boot well, so I'm hoping the kit comes with that as well!

There are two different foam and jack kits depending on whether you have a Karoq 2x4 or a Karoq 4x4, as shown below.

Karoq 4x2 front wheel drive 57A093860B (foam and jack kit) (includes everything except for the space saver wheel) (2449CZK is about £85.82)

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/sada-pro-vymenu-rezervniho-kola-18/p/57A093860B

Karoq 4x4 four wheel drive 57A093860C (foam and jack kit) (includes everything except for the space saver wheel) (3479CZK is about £121.92)

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/sada-pro-vymenu-rezervniho-kola-18/p/57A093860C

Edited by Carlston

22 hours ago, Carlston said:

There are two different foam and jack kits depending on whether you have a Karoq 2x4 or a Karoq 4x4, as shown below.

Karoq 4x2 front wheel drive 57A093860B (foam and jack kit) (includes everything except for the space saver wheel) (2449CZK is about £85.82)

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/sada-pro-vymenu-rezervniho-kola-18/p/57A093860B

Karoq 4x4 four wheel drive 57A093860C (foam and jack kit) (includes everything except for the space saver wheel) (3479CZK is about £121.92)

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/sada-pro-vymenu-rezervniho-kola-18/p/57A093860C

Thanks Carlston - through sheer luck I found a spare wheel on ebay for £50 and the supplying dealer are giving me the foam and tool kit for free.  Saves a bit of money and provides some peace of mind just in case a tyre blows - with the roads getting worse by the year it's good to have that option available and not have to depend on gunk...