Mirror USB charging socket

On 20/03/2024 at 19:32, RobL50 said:

I have a Garmin DC2 connected to the power socket with a 30cm USB C cable that has a 90 degree elbow.

The cable is tucked into the small gap between the windscreen and the mirror / camera housing so it is not visible.  The dashcam is then fitted on the passenger side and is hidden from the driver by the mirror.

The socket is powered off when the car is switched off.

Have you got a link for the cable you have?  The OCD part of me likes the fact it has the white connector but black cable.

1 hour ago, spcdust said:

Have you got a link for the cable you have?  The OCD part of me likes the fact it has the white connector but black cable.

I bought it from Amazon:

0.3m USB C to MICRO USB, OTG cable, charges Micro USB devices, angled plug, data cable, charging cable, USB 2.0 : Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I bought the version with the 'right' handed micro plug for my Garmin DC2.  If I had ordered the cable with the 'left' handed plug I could have mounted the dashcam slightly higher on the windscreen.

• Like 1

Have a look at TEMU and AliExpress for cables at decent prices, you may need an adapter for one end (C to Mini USB) like I have but I find that a coiled cable is ideal as it gives you the extra length at no extra cost, you can always wrap it around the back of the mirror to keep it tidy.

On 21/03/2024 at 19:55, RobL50 said:

Here is a picture of mine:

IMG_20240321_084128.jpg

I like this. I thought mine was pretty neat but this is better! I had a look at the Amazon page but it appears to be out of stock at the moment. I'll get one if it becomes available again. The separate elbow connector I needed with mine (on the Garmin Mini 2) has always niggled me a bit, makes it look slightly clumsy.

I spent way too long trying to find a lead I liked more than the one recommended by @RobL50, but couldn't find one...

Initially I tried the left handed plug version hoping it would reach all the way around to my Garmin mini 2 mounted on the passenger side, but it's not long enough for the camera to be concealed behind the mirror unfortunately.

So I ended up with the right handed plug version with camera on the driver's side. I used a couple of small cable ties to create a coil to take a little length out of the cable at the camera end. Nice and neat I think.20240328_152452-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.d05333c168a7ed6b87c277e1c1ed4eb6.jpg

You guys using the Garmin Mini 2 so as to keep all the cabling on the same side..... How do find the night vision on it? I do a lot of night driving both lit and unlit so if it's good in those conditions I might upgrade my existing cam.

15 minutes ago, WaveyDavey said:

You guys using the Garmin Mini 2 so as to keep all the cabling on the same side..... How do find the night vision on it? I do a lot of night driving both lit and unlit so if it's good in those conditions I might upgrade my existing cam.

I haven't used it at night yet.

1 hour ago, WaveyDavey said:

I've only just got it last week so haven't done night driving yet. But at dusk I was surprised how well it brightened everything up. There are a few reviews on YouTube that have examples of night driving.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, STEV0 said:

I've only just got it last week so haven't done night driving yet. But at dusk I was surprised how well it brightened everything up. There are a few reviews on YouTube that have examples of night driving.

Thanks. I'll take a look.

• 3 weeks later...

Where are people getting their 50-60cm USB-C to Micro USB cables from as I can't seem to find any at all. I got a right angle USB-C to micro USB 30cm cable and it's just too short. I just can't seem to find any that are slightly longer.

1 hour ago, WaveyDavey said:

Where are people getting their 50-60cm USB-C to Micro USB cables from as I can't seem to find any at all. I got a right angle USB-C to micro USB 30cm cable and it's just too short. I just can't seem to find any that are slightly longer.

How far away from the socket is your camera ? I have a 30cm cable and it is long enough to get to the camera just behind the mirror 

Temu. Aliexpress both do coiled cables, which is the easiest solution you might needed an adapter to pop on the end if necessary (£1-£2). See my post earlier. 

20 hours ago, RADIOTWO said:

How far away from the socket is your camera ? I have a 30cm cable and it is long enough to get to the camera just behind the mirror 

It’s a Garmin Mini 2 behind the mirror and I tried it on the passenger side. I might try again to see if I can get it a bit nearer (I’ve not stuck it on the windscreen yet). But I’ve got some alternative options arriving today cable wise to try as well. 

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

Temu. Aliexpress both do coiled cables, which is the easiest solution you might needed an adapter to pop on the end if necessary (£1-£2). See my post earlier. 

I’m wanting it to be as invisible as possible so coiled cables are too visible. I’d rather have a slightly too long straight cable and coil the extra tightly behind the mirror out of the way. 

All now sorted. My original cable was 25cm and just too short as previously mentioned. 

One of the alternatives I have had delivered today was a 30cm lead and this is just the perfect length to reach over to the camera on the passenger side of the mirror. 

IMG_3345.jpeg

IMG_3346.jpeg

• Like 1