Idle RPM Octavia 1.5TSI MK3 2020

It depends is the answer to that question:

If your car is doing a re-gen, it will generally idle higher than if it isn't doing a re-gen.

TDI's generally idle the same (except when on re-gen); TSI's idle higher for about 30-50 seconds, then idle down a little when cold.

• Like 1

@MastercardAs above,   does it start higher and drop in 40 seconds or so.

where are you as in what is cold weather and what is hot, is it the UK, 

and is it the coolant & then oil hot,  is it a DSG in P, ora  Manual, is AC on, or just lights, radio, heated screen, heater fan?

3 hours ago, Mastercard said:

Hi, 

my Octavia MK3, DSG has a idle RPM at 1000. 

How much does you Octavias idle when engine is cold and warm?

Best Regards

Are you just looking for answers from 1.5 TSI owners?

5 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

It depends is the answer to that question:

If your car is doing a re-gen, it will generally idle higher than if it isn't doing a re-gen.

TDI's generally idle the same (except when on re-gen); TSI's idle higher for about 30-50 seconds, then idle down a little when cold.

How do I know when its re-gen? 

4 hours ago, Rooted said:

@MastercardAs above,   does it start higher and drop in 40 seconds or so.

where are you as in what is cold weather and what is hot, is it the UK, 

and is it the coolant & then oil hot,  is it a DSG in P, ora  Manual, is AC on, or just lights, radio, heated screen, heater fan?

I live in Sweden. At the moment + 5 celcius outside. I have a DSG box. The fan in ON when starting the vehicle, first its revving higher and then decreases to exakt 1000 RPM.

If the fan is OFF it drops below 1000RPM (much more harmonic)

I still feel its to high, beacuse the usage of AC is fundamental in the idle equation.

I had a Golf 7.5 1.5TSI, even with the fan ON the RPM was below 1000RPM.

The reason is that I feel like the engine is brumming a little to much. Campared to my Golf 7.5, my engine noise is high when sittning inside the vehicle. 

3 hours ago, ords said:

Are you just looking for answers from 1.5 TSI owners?

Yes, I aim for that. But If you have valuable input, go ahead. 

2 minutes ago, Mastercard said:

I live in Sweden. At the moment + 5 celcius outside. I have a DSG box. The fan in ON when starting the vehicle, first its revving higher and then decreases to exakt 1000 RPM.

If the fan is OFF it drops below 1000RPM (much more harmonic)

I still feel its to high, beacuse the usage of AC is fundamental in the idle equation.

I had a Golf 7.5 1.5TSI, even with the fan ON the RPM was below 1000RPM.

The reason is that I feel like the engine is brumming a little to much. Campared to my Golf 7.5, my engine noise is high when sittning inside the vehicle. 

Yes, I aim for that. But If you have valuable input, go ahead. 

Is the fan running from a cold start?

7 minutes ago, ords said:

Is the fan running from a cold start?

Yes. 22.5 degrees. When I shut down the fan, the RPM does not drop below 1000RPM. I give it a veeeery smal rev, then it drops below 1000RPM.

Edited by Mastercard

53 minutes ago, Mastercard said:

Yes. 22.5 degrees. When I shut down the fan, the RPM does not drop below 1000RPM. I give it a veeeery smal rev, then it drops below 1000RPM.

You're talking about the heater fan? I thought you were talking about the engine cooling fan.

1 hour ago, Mastercard said:

How do I know when its re-gen? 

Auto-stop/start is disabled and rpms are higher than normal. Best go drive the car some more until the process is completed.

I own a 1.5tsi ACT engine, it does idle slightly higher from a cold start, then drops back a bit. It's generally a very smooth engine within hot and cold conditions & it always changes gears smoothly, being an auto (dsg). Mine is a 19 plate with 62k on the clock. 

It won't regen, as you own an petrol engine or so you've stated. 

15 hours ago, ords said:

You're talking about the heater fan? I thought you were talking about the engine cooling fan.

Yes, im talking about the heater fan. 

14 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

Auto-stop/start is disabled and rpms are higher than normal. Best go drive the car some more until the process is completed.

So when the Auto-Stop is enabled. Thats when the engine is in optimal conditions, pretty much? 

1 hour ago, Mastercard said:

So when the Auto-Stop is enabled. Thats when the engine is in optimal conditions, pretty much? 

Broadly yes.  Its signifies that any re-gen process (even on a petrol engine) is completed, that the battery is optimally charged and that there are no electronics on the car pulling excessive amounts of current.

• Like 1

OT, but just incase a TSI with a GPF ever does need to get cleaned up with a Regen and they can do, remember and Read the Owners Manual. 

They are different from a TDI and a DPF, but there is still a procedure. 

image.webp

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Rooted said:

OT, but just incase a TSI with a GPF ever does need to get cleaned up with a Regen and they can do, remember and Read the Owners Manual. 

image.webp

Thanks for the replies! But whats the verdict, is dropping to 1000RPM normal in idle mode with the AC heating fan ON? 

1 hour ago, Rooted said:

Turn the AC off to try and it will probably drop lower. 

Yes, it does drop with the AC off. But I think its more accurate to have the AC on, when checking the idle RPM. Or?

@MastercardAs long as you are happy.

Personally i like to know the RPM once the car has started and the revs drop and there is little demand on the battery.  ie, stuff off.

Cold weather or warmer weather.

As it is when the Ambient temp is at 2*oC and lower the AC is imobilised anyway. 

1 minute ago, Rooted said:

@MastercardAs long as you are happy.

Personally i like to know the RPM once the car has started and the revs drop and there is little demand on the battery.  ie, stuff off.

Cold weather or warmer weather.

As it is when the Ambient temp is at 2*oC and lower the AC is imobilised anyway. 

When the AC is off, the RPM drops below 1000RPM. Maybe around 850-900 RPM

50 minutes ago, langers2k said:

All sounds normal to me...

Okay, thats good. 

The reason why Im wondering is compared to my Golf 7.5 1.5TSI, the Golf seems to drop more in RPM in generally during idle and makes the engine more quiet and harmonic, exemple during traffic. 

I feel like my Octavia engine is vibrating more...

Edited by Mastercard

4 hours ago, Rooted said:

image.webp

Good to know, I'd be amazed if anyone ever needed to regen one of those, as generally they're done passively. I tend to let the momentum of my transmission slow down my car where possible, presumably when the GPF would then be cleaned. 

I'm very pleased I don't own a dpf now though, that's a different ball game. Not that I ever had an issue with a dpf equipped car, owned 4. Just need to drive them correctly. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Phoenixboy said:

Good to know, I'd be amazed if anyone ever needed to regen one of those, as generally they're done passively. I tend to let the momentum of my transmission slow down my car where possible, presumably when the GPF would then be cleaned. 

I'm very pleased I don't own a dpf now though, that's a different ball game. Not that I ever had an issue with a dpf equipped car, owned 4. Just need to drive them correctly. 

I had a GPF regen happen after several days of house hunting where the car was driven quite slowly for long periods. I didn't realise what was happening when I noticed a petrol smell inside the car and the fuel gauge was dropping quite quickly. After calling out the RAC he could find no leak and then asked if I  had a GPF?  - problem solved, doing a regen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Based on the answers in this thread, I assume my Octavia behaves normal. The idle RPM and the higher engine sound seems to be normal. 

Im new to the Skoda world, and to be honest I dont feel so happy when driving the car, at the moment. 

I have Kumho KW31 winter tires on, without spikes. When driving the vehicle above 60 km/h, I hear road or engine noise. Sometimes more like resonance or humming noise, how should a Octavia sound in higher speeds? I know there is an individual aspect to take into consideration. 

Milage: 82k (kilometers)