Would you risk buying an L&K ?

Prezafab

2 hours ago, idleness said:

There are a few under £12k on Autotrader these two as starters 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202312124762040?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401235826307?

As said earlier you may have to travel.

Thanks, but one isn't an SEL Drive and the other has more miles (104k) than ours has already.I

Will keep looking - I've reserved 2 that were sold already, seen one that had 2 oil change invoices in 7 years and was beaten to another one that we went to see without reserving, by an hour.

Maybe it's a Yeti thing !

1 hour ago, b1ackb1rd said:

Petrol DSG's have a reputation for being fragile. 

We had one way back that was running fine at 97k when we sold it. I know there's a debate about do you change oil or not with DSGs but I think if you visit a dealer now and again, you have a chance.

• Confused 1

There is no debate about DQ250 DSG,s 6 speed wet clutch, the schedule is @ 40,000 miles for Oil & Filter changes of the DSG.

As to DQ200,s there are those saying that safest to change oil even though there are no Manufacturers Schedule, Guidelines or Recommendations to.

(As to DQ200,s 2009-2012, there was a Service Campaign to change the oil in those started in 2014. & that was changing the Synthetic oil filled at the factory to mineral oil.)

?

Did the Yeti L&K 1.4 TSI get the option of a DSG?   

21 hours ago, b1ackb1rd said:

Why not get the car, and have the roof wrapped in clear vinyl so you don't lose the pano roof effect?

Have you (or anyone else reading) had this done? Approx cost?  Sounds like a great workaround to me, and I've just suggested it to someone I know with a leaky one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Have you (or anyone else reading) had this done? Approx cost?  Sounds like a great workaround to me, and I've just suggested it to someone I know with a leaky one.

I had my roof wrapped black. the wrap doesn't cover the sunroof, it was cut out around it. Around £200.

• Thanks 1

Just to understand, if it's wrapped on the metal but not the rubber seal, how would that stop it leaking / water getting in ? Great idea though.

13 hours ago, Prezafab said:

Just to understand, if it's wrapped on the metal but not the rubber seal, how would that stop it leaking / water getting in ? Great idea though.

If the question is to me, it doesn't. I didn't know it leaked when I first got the car. I had it wrapped black because I wanted a white body/black roof Yeti and the car was all white.

Edited by vRSG60

Other than the potential sunroof issue it soumds as though the L&K suits your needs and you would find it easier to get one at the right price than the closest alternative. So if I was you I would look into the wrap solution - the people that do this for a living should be able to offer advice and give you a price. If you would be prepared to use Gorilla tape or Helicopter tape to prevent the leak then you may be prepared to accept any slight imperfection where the vinyl passes over the sunroof surround. If you plan to keep the car a few years any decrease in value compared to an "unwrapped" car when you come to sell it is unlikely to be worth worrying about - call it preventativemaintenance. And of course that assumes that the sunroof leaks or you aren't prepared to risk it. Although there are lots of adverse comments on this and other websites complaining about the problem - and particularly Skoda/VW's relectance to take proper responsibility for what might arguably be a design flaw - we only hear about the ones that do leak; people are looking for an explanation/solution and googling the problem throws up links to Briskoda and there's another post and subseqent thread on leaking sun roofs. But of course no-one searches out a forum to say "my sunroof doesn't leak"; my 11 year old Elegance has a sunroof and I've never had a problem (touch wood). So it's hard to know whether the problem affects 50% of cars with sunroofs or only 1% but those are the ones discussed on the forum. 

Whether it's an L&K or another model the sunroof is only one of the potential problems of buying a 6+ year old car. I bought an 18 month old Volvo V50 from a main agent with a full history and it was nothing but trouble the entire three years I kept it - lovely car if you didn't mind it dropping into limp mode every once in a while, usually somewhere embarrassing or downright dangerous. Still, whilst it was in limp mode you couldn't feel the constant vibration from the DMF which was replaced (at Volvo's expense I pleased to say) just before I traded it in for the Yeti. And replacing the DMF didn't stop the vibration... I mention this only to highlight that there's plenty of other things to worry about beyond the possibility of a leaky sunroof.  

It's your money so your decision but unless the possibility of a leak is going to give you sleepless nights and you couldn't live with the wrap solution or possibly permanently sealing the sunroof (if that's possible) if it did leak I wouldn't rule out an L&K if a good, low mileage one at a sensible price came up. Good luck finding something suitable - I shall be holding onto mine until it rusts under me (or an electronic gizmo fails and can't be replaced) because it's simply a very nice car that does all I need.

I took the chance. Having had a 170hp Yeti before I was looking for a petrol 4x4 manual this time so choice was pretty sparse for anything low mileage. I waited for a good few months before an 18k mile full service history L&K came up this time last year. After a few months I did notice a very small amount of water in the passenger footwell when I washed the car, I cleaned all the roof channels out and used an airline to blow out the drain pipes and that cured the issue, zero water ingress now even right through the winter. I know it’s not really recommended to blow out the drain pipes but thought it was worth taking the chance and it definitely worked for me. 
Very happy with the L&K.

Thanks everyone for your advice. We have decided to go for an SEL rather than L&K or SEL drive.

Now, does anyone know if it's possible to add SmartLink to the Bolero to get Google Maps ? 😚

I have an L&K tdi manual 52k miles from new. Lives on my driveway in all weathers. Not a drip, ever.

Regularly cleaned all over with a Karcher. Roof opened and closed regularly in the summer.

Last couple of years, I've started to wash through the front drains with a jug of warm water every few months, just in case of any algae starting to gum up the pipes.

Not all L&Ks are bad or even will-be-bad in the future. People are more likely to post bad news rather than good.

Good luck with your onward search for an SEL but if you do find a dry L&K, it's a very good car (and I've read elsewhere that helicopter tape and fuses out does work).

Edited by Bexhillian
  • Like 3

On 13/02/2024 at 19:10, Prezafab said:

Dsg petrol or diesel, but has to be dsg. 

I intend to sell my 2017 SEL Drive 1.2 Tsi DSG with Smart link, electric memory drivers seat and adjustable boot floor, Satnav in Onyx grey and main dealer serviced since new. Unmarked with Gobi sand leather interior, Goodyear Vector All season tyres (215/60 R16), 51,000 trouble free miles averaging 44 MPG on a brim full to brim full basis.

Currently valued at between £11,500 and £12,500 by on-line companies. 

Values vary by mileage, age and condition. This one's an excellent one!! Interested?

PS Avoid a sunroof for your peace of mind!

Edited by Expatman
  • Like 1

Sounds great, we would have been very interested, but went for another one yesterday (see above).

Don't tell anyone else you're selling yet ! - if there's a problem with the next one for us, collecting Weds,  I'll be in touch !!!

In all seriousness, I have some great, up to date experience of buying and selling Yetis:- This will be the 4th we've put a deposit on in the last couple of weeks. So - prices, availability, dealer markups etc, I'm your man ! It helps that we've owned six Yetis between us when going for another one.

• Like 1