1.5 Tsi Power Cutting Out

Missph

Has everyone here with the problem reported it to the DVSA and if so what was the response (if any) ?

Seems that the only way to get this recognised is that route and rejections of new vehicles...

24 minutes ago, NottsIan said:

Has everyone here with the problem reported it to the DVSA and if so what was the response (if any) ?

Seems that the only way to get this recognised is that route and rejections of new vehicles...

Hi Nottslan,

No not reported as I was unaware of that 

Update, car has been back with the dealership, email tonight after investigating there's no fault found so they've offered that I can return the car and they will give me my px back, I've pointed out there's a sum of money involved too.

Watch this space.

Paul.

• Like 2

I have had a similar experience several times. Cutting the story short, I have noticed that it happens when slowing down or braking and the speed gets so low to drop the revs. below the normal 'tickover'. (normally you would feel the emgine labour before stalling , but it is very difficult to 'feel' that happening, probably because the roads are so crap!). Did it today turning into a car park and thats what I noticed. I too am 'old school', as we are not used to synchromesh gearboxes in first so tend to not drop gears down when it seems the engine doesnt like it. Well thats my theory for what it's worth. Might be useful to take notice when it happens and report it on here to see if anyone agrees. Skoda dealer will be a waste of time at this point I reckon!

16 minutes ago, Karasu said:

I have had a similar experience several times. Cutting the story short, I have noticed that it happens when slowing down or braking and the speed gets so low to drop the revs. below the normal 'tickover'. (normally you would feel the emgine labour before stalling , but it is very difficult to 'feel' that happening, probably because the roads are so crap!). Did it today turning into a car park and thats what I noticed. I too am 'old school', as we are not used to synchromesh gearboxes in first so tend to not drop gears down when it seems the engine doesnt like it. Well thats my theory for what it's worth. Might be useful to take notice when it happens and report it on here to see if anyone agrees. Skoda dealer will be a waste of time at this point I reckon!

Just now, ken2 said:

Hi Karasu,

I agree I have started making a point in getting down the gears and keeping the revs up and it seems to help.

Today it cut out when slowing down to a crawl and still in 3rd it didn't like that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Karasu said:

yep, I think you are spot on. A bit like Ken2 I have tried to adjust my driving to move down through the gears anf keep the revs up. But slipped a couple of times today, slowing down in 4th I think at a roundabout, dipped the clutch to change to 2nd,  cut out and had to pop into neutral and press button to restart. I don’t think so much it is the slowing down in a high gear that causes it to cut out, but when you dip the clutch to change gear in those circumstances. If you have a look at the rev counter when you dip the clutch it drops significantly. Ie. Slowing down in 4th, revs down below 1000RPM, dip the clutch to change into 1st or 2nd, revs drop below 800 and it cuts out. In terms of demonstrating the issue to the dealers though it is just a shame it only does this intermittently. Ie today after it cut out I tried to replicate the same manoeuvre and gearing but didn’t get the same outcome (didn’t cut out). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chieflordy said:

yep, I think you are spot on. A bit like Ken2 I have tried to adjust my driving to move down through the gears anf keep the revs up. But slipped a couple of times today, slowing down in 4th I think at a roundabout, dipped the clutch to change to 2nd,  cut out and had to pop into neutral and press button to restart. I don’t think so much it is the slowing down in a high gear that causes it to cut out, but when you dip the clutch to change gear in those circumstances. If you have a look at the rev counter when you dip the clutch it drops significantly. Ie. Slowing down in 4th, revs down below 1000RPM, dip the clutch to change into 1st or 2nd, revs drop below 800 and it cuts out. In terms of demonstrating the issue to the dealers though it is just a shame it only does this intermittently. Ie today after it cut out I tried to replicate the same manoeuvre and gearing but didn’t get the same outcome (didn’t cut out). 

Hi chieflordy,

Think that is the answer ,get into 2nd when approaching junction or roundabout and keep the revs up to normal 800/1000, seems to be working for me 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ken2 said:

Hi chieflordy,

Think that is the answer ,get into 2nd when approaching junction or roundabout and keep the revs up to normal 800/1000, seems to be working for me 

Shouldn't really be that way though  concidering it's a modern vehicle boasting technology for the modern era in my opinion. Should have some safeguard for those embarassing moments me thinks......🙄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Karasu said:

Shouldn't really be that way though  concidering it's a modern vehicle boasting technology for the modern era in my opinion. Should have some safeguard for those embarassing moments me thinks......🙄

Hi Karasu,

Couldn't agree more with you but it seems nobody wants to admit there is a problem with that particular engine in manual I will keep it for awhile longer and trade in for something else.

Ken

• Like 1

I had no problem with my 1.5 tsi Kamiq but I did notice you have to wait/pause for the revs to climb before moving off or you WILL stall.

I had one instance of Radar brakes on. Exiting a car park my way was clear and I moved forward but a car pulled up on my left for a POST BOX

and my brakes hammered on. Quite frightening. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

I had no problem with my 1.5 tsi Kamiq but I did notice you have to wait/pause for the revs to climb before moving off or you WILL stall.

I had one instance of Radar brakes on. Exiting a car park my way was clear and I moved forward but a car pulled up on my left for a POST BOX

and my brakes hammered on. Quite frightening. 

Hi gumdrop, mine did that today when a car suddenly braked in front of me, I think most cars are fitted with that, certainly my last three cars had it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ken2 said:

Hi gumdrop, mine did that today when a car suddenly braked in front of me, I think most cars are fitted with that, certainly my last three cars had it.

This car was across the road and to my left I would not have expected something at the angle and distance to activate the brakes, I noticed brakes 

coming on mini- roundabouts before but at a much reduced angle

7 minutes ago, Ootohere said:

@gumdrop  are you saying that you can have a 1.5 TSI ACT fitted to a DSG stall?  (a DQ200 DSG.)

No I had no problem with my Kamiq but on other skoda manual g/box cars I had noticed it.

• Thanks 1

Really strange reading all these posts as we've had a 1.5TSI with manual gearbox for nearly 6 years and never had the issue described here.

• Confused 1

On 16/05/2024 at 19:41, Bikerp said:

Update, car has been back with the dealership, email tonight after investigating there's no fault found so they've offered that I can return the car and they will give me my px back, I've pointed out there's a sum of money involved too.

Watch this space.

Paul.

Does this mean all new Skoda 1.5tsi will be affected and is it related to the recent  introduction to evo2? Any 1.0s affected. I've not seen any mention on the Kamiq/Scala/Fabia parts of  Briskoda - yet? I ask as I'm currently considering a Scala 1.5tsi.

4 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Does this mean all new Skoda 1.5tsi will be affected and is it related to the recent  introduction to evo2? Any 1.0s affected. I've not seen any mention on the Kamiq/Scala/Fabia parts of  Briskoda - yet? I ask as I'm currently considering a Scala 1.5tsi.

DSG's appear immune from this issue but I wouldn't trust any manual gearbox 1.5tsi, it appears from the feedback on the forum it's such a random fault that it could take sometime to identify the problem.

1 hour ago, Bikerp said:

DSG's appear immune from this issue but I wouldn't trust any manual gearbox 1.5tsi, it appears from the feedback on the forum it's such a random fault that it could take sometime to identify the problem.

Almost all of us reporting this problem seem to have a mid to late 2023 or 2024 1.5TSI manual Karoq, so this will be the evo2 engine, ie new version without the engine cover. So I think Bigjohn may be on to something linking the issue to the evo2 engine.

• Like 4

@sussamb  Your 6 years ago built 1.5 TSI appears not even to have been part of those with the Kangerooing if yours was not part of the RECALL, DVSA SAfety Related Recall.

So a 2022 or 2023 1.5 TSI is a whole different kettle of fish, or bag of worms.

The only Similarity might be how long it takes before VW Group / Skoda admit to possible issues and investigate, issue a TPI or what ever. 

• Like 3