Which Kamiq?

MickA

Currently looking at Kamiqs as a replacement car but which one should I go for, engine/gearbox recommendations.

I've always had manual cars so I suppose stick with those but willing to listen to comments from auto drivers.

Most interested in engine size comparison, 1.0 ltr (which one) or 1.5 and possibly which goes better with the auto.

I don't commute, it'll be for mainly short journeys and occasional long ones holidays type of use. What's the rear seating like, at most I need to fit 3 grandkids in the rear, they are all teenagers really so hopefully won't be cramped. They manage atm in my Toledo (Rapids cousin) so hopefully in a Kamiq.

Any model to not go for, I'm thinking SE spec so far, ho and it'll be second hand rather than new. Been through a few posts but still none the wiser as to which?

Thanks 

Edited by MickA

I've had manuals all my life but when I got my Kamiq over a year ago I bought the 1.5 with DSG. Very happy with it, very smooth in auto mode and you can use it in manual mode if you wish.

• Like 2

As far as engine/transmission is concerned, -  if you can, get a test drive of the 1.5 DSG.   I had been a diesel/manual man for donkey's years, but then the leg  problems of old age and the anti-diesel lobby's antics, led me to conclude that a complete change of drivetrain would be a good idea.  I am so glad I did - the combination of the two is perfect for me and , despite the Kamiq's staid appearance, it can be quite a hoot when you floor it in 'S'.  It is very comfortable for my regular 600 mile trip, economy is good and it is quite a relaxing car to drive.  Have a test drive - you will be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 3

+1 for the DSG, particularly with the 1.5 engine. So relaxing and comfortable to drive. As for rear legroom, I would say it’s surprisingly roomy for a car of this modest size. I’m an old geezer and had cars since I was 17 - my Kamiq is the best I’ve ever had. 

• Like 4

I can say that about my Toledo, far and away the best I've owned. In to 10 years now from new, I'm after a little more newness now, is that a word and to keep in my old age.

Glad you like yours, thanks.

Edited by MickA
  • Love it! 1

If a 1.5 DSG SE doesn't stretch you financially it will do everything you mention comfortably in a reasonable tech spec.

The Monte Carlo is a marmite thing for me. Love the outside don't like the inside and there is nothing in the drive to change the character from the the other models.

We bought the 1.0L DSG SE Drive but typically only 1 teenager occasionally and it's fine too. I believe the DSG may be better matched to the 1.5 though and whilst not disappointed with the 1.0L I would go for that in preference but my other half does the needs vs cost accounting and it's her car really so I went with it. But to reiterate, it's fine and I enjoy it.

You however, coming from manual may notice a 1st gear lag (D1) when pulling away in the 1.0L but if ever that bothers me I switch to sport mode (S1, 2 , 3 & 4) before knocking it back into drive and it is a different ball game. 

Edited by Stoker
  • Like 2

My Kamiq is a 2020 SEL, 1.0 DSG and is a follow up to my 2011 Fabia Elegance, also a 1.0 DSG, both of which have proved excellent (I had the Fabia for 90,000+ miles).  Very quiet in use, good economy (I recently got 58.8mpg on a 43 miole drive, including climbing the steep side of Sutton Bank).  Economy, too, is consistent with 52-54mpg being normal for any run of some distance, e.g. home to York at 44mpg.   About town and on short journeys, economy still good, e.g. a five mile run at 43.4mpg.

Driving is mainly local but with longer forays, time and health permitting to Norfolk from Scarborough. 

However, driving is usually me or me and my wife, so I can see the 1.5 being better with three teenagers up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

My Kamiq is a 2020 SEL, 1.0 DSG and is a follow up to my 2011 Fabia Elegance, also a 1.0 DSG, both of which have proved excellent (I had the Fabia for 90,000+ miles).  Very quiet in use, good economy (I recently got 58.8mpg on a 43 miole drive, including climbing the steep side of Sutton Bank).  Economy, too, is consistent with 52-54mpg being normal for any run of some distance, e.g. home to York at 44mpg.   About town and on short journeys, economy still good, e.g. a five mile run at 43.4mpg.

Driving is mainly local but with longer forays, time and health permitting to Norfolk from Scarborough. 

However, driving is usually me or me and my wife, so I can see the 1.5 being better with three teenagers up.

Did Sutton Bank last year, from our overnight stop in Thirsk on our way eventually to Pickering. Mrs hates that hill, I love it of course, done that many times and all over NYM over the years.

Thanks for your comments.👍

54 minutes ago, MickA said:

Did Sutton Bank last year, from our overnight stop in Thirsk on our way eventually to Pickering. Mrs hates that hill, I love it of course, done that many times and all over NYM over the years.

Thanks for your comments.👍

Glad to be of assistance.   Sutton Bank gave me my best mpg with the Kamiq, starting from the top to the Cedar Barn Farm Shop just short of Thornton-le-Dale an mpg of 67.3, mind you, from the top of Sutton Bank to Helmsley was all in "disconnect" mode so engine revs were never over 1,000.

• Like 1

A week ago I picked up my new Kamiq Monte Carlo 1.5 DSG, replacing my 21 plate 1.5 DSG.  Whilst I was waiting for my new car the dealer lent me a 1.0 DSG Kamiq Monte Carlo and I was knocked sideways.  

The 1.0 with DSG was absolutely brilliant, with acceleration feeling very similar to the 1.5.  

As for the DSG being more suited to the 1.5 I have to disagree, both versions of the engine have good and bad quirks when mated to the DSG.

I wouldn’t hesitate getting the 1.0 DSG when I change my current car, it was surprisingly good.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, carefree said:

As for the DSG being more suited to the 1.5 I have to disagree

I only say that due to the D1 lag and thought the 1.5 would stop it feeling weedy there.

I have the DSG in my VW California and it doesn't have the same trait, it pulls with that diesel torque from the get go but I have the 150 PS not the 204 so in effect for the size/weight  of that vehicle I have the baby engine.

Just a thought (probably a too personal question) do many of you have a Kamiq on a lease deal? There are some decent deals out there ATM. 

I know it's not for everyone and I've been doing a good deal of digging around the leasing side of things, so questions like you much rather buy than basically rent I understand.

As you can see I've got the SE Executive TSi 110 DSG, I do too notice a bit of lag when starting from a dead stop, I have to be a bit careful when pulling out especially onto a busy roundabout (D1).

Nearly got "had" last week because the stop/start had cut in, thats the first time ever since I got the car last August, always make sure now its switched off.

Previously had a Ateca TSi 1.4 DSG, which didn't seem to have that lag, but suppose it was because of it being a 1.4 engine.

Up to now I have not noticed another "Executive" about here in the Norwich area, what makes the Executive so different from other "top of the range"  Kamiqs ?

I am dissapointed when I see youtube videos showing Kamiqs with their full led tail lights ( some even scrolling ) even front led indiators too, heated windscreen and power operated tail gate.

You'd think using "executive" would imply something like really top of the range,

Fuel economy is very good I find.

• Like 1

Folks, I’m on my second Kamiq 1.5 DSG and trust me when I say that the hesitation you talk about in the 1.0 is very much present in the 1.5 as well.  I’ve learnt to live with it and adapted by taking my foot off the brake a couple of seconds before so the car coasts, then the moving away in 1st is much smoother.

But yes, the slight hesitation in the 1.0 is very much present in the 1.5 too.

The hesitation can be fixed by changing software settings, i.e., throttle pedal rensponse, e.g., using obd11. The option simply changes the application of throttle from exponential to linear. Whoever drove or was a passenger in my 1.0 DSG was thinking it was a 1.5. My godfather also fixed the same issue on his SuperB — more about it in other article.

• Thanks 1

I understand that something is connected to the OBD port that allows settings to be changed from incremental to direct throttle response but

what is it?

how much does it cost? 

can it go wrong?

If yes, is it simple to reverse the action?

for the sake of warranty isn't it better to stick sport mode?

Unlike the manual, the DSG has bit of clever trickery.

When stopped with foot firmly on the brake, if you ease the brake (ease the pedal, not lift foot off), it tells the car ready to go, and then you don't get any lag when switch foot to accelerator.    From memory (my car is a 1.0tsi DSG, but not a Kamiq), if you use start-stop (I always turn it off after starting) this also makes car ready as does wobbling steering wheel by slightly turning it.

The lag only happens if you from fully pressed brake pedal (staying stopped) to slamming foot down on accelerator really quickly, as if don't have any anticipation time between them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stoker said:

I understand that something is connected to the OBD port that allows settings to be changed from incremental to direct throttle response but

what is it?

how much does it cost? 

can it go wrong?

If yes, is it simple to reverse the action?

for the sake of warranty isn't it better to stick sport mode?

Yes, all changes are done via the OBD port. You can learn more about the odb11 device on the following site: Products (obdeleven.com). You need a PRO plan to change all options yourself or just the device and credits to use existing applications. The mentioned one exists under Throttle Pedal Response. You can install the app on your mobile to see what applications already exist for which car model. All changes can be reverted. I have not heard that this option went wrong for anybody. However, you do it on your own. Still, the same changes can be done via ODIS, the official VAG software. However, probably not at official services :)

PS. There is another option and app called Increased Engine Responsiveness, which I haven't used. It is recommended only for the 1.5 model, but it can throw some errors. I wouldn't suggest using it.

• Like 1

I had already changed my throttle responce on mine using the app on my OBD11 a few days ago, I must say that I certainly didn't feel much improvement, this was using the infamous Norwich Nothern distributor road, where the speed limit is 70 mph on a dual carriage road with roundabouts, negotiating three roudabouts on my journey to do the weekly shop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stepdey said:

I had already changed my throttle responce on mine using the app on my OBD11 a few days ago, I must say that I certainly didn't feel much improvement, this was using the infamous Norwich Nothern distributor road, where the speed limit is 70 mph on a dual carriage road with roundabouts, negotiating three roudabouts on my journey to do the weekly shop.

Anyhow, one must press the gas padel harder to accelerate faster. Before the change, when I pressed the gas pedal, it took about ~1 second before the car reacted. After the change, the car responds instantly. My approach is to get more boost and pull my leg from the gas pedal if it's already enough, not the other way around.

• Like 1

By the differing opinions, driving style and the way people react to situations is obviously playing a part.

There is also the subtleties that @SurreyJohn mentions feeding in to it all.

Whats clear is, the lag exists and is an unusual and undesirable thing to have when you need to take advantage of gaps in the traffic that are smaller than desirable but about as large as traffic conditions permit.

I'm going to concentrate a lttl more on the 'clever trickery' 😜 for a while and see how that goes.

• Like 1

I understand that with DSG you can get the car to adapt to your driving style.  I find that lifting my foot off the brake pedal is usually followed by the car beginning to move before I put my foot on the accelerator.

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

I understand that with DSG you can get the car to adapt to your driving style.  I find that lifting my foot off the brake pedal is usually followed by the car beginning to move before I put my foot on the accelerator.

This is normal for virtually any auto box (except earlier Citroen EGS boxes)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Routemaster1461 said:

This is normal for virtually any auto box (except earlier Citroen EGS boxes)

But the experience of hesitation setting off by some people suggests not, and it did not occur with my A Class Merc.

11 hours ago, Seasider said:

But the experience of hesitation setting off by some people suggests not, and it did not occur with my A Class Merc.

For clarity I was only referring tocreeping forwards. The Citroen box did not.

• Like 1