Tpms on board infotainment has no “Ser” option to reset dash warning light

Hello all - I hope you are well.

Been living with the permanent tpms warning on dash now for at least 4 months,tried everything,mot is due in a week or so so now I REALLY want to go get rid of it🤬

I’ve had vcds and also Autocom scanners on it,clear codes and it pops up again.

Just put air in at 35psi all around and still the option to “Set” does not show up on the infotainment.

I’ve bought a new genuine tpms sensor that I believe is linked to the ABS system just in case …. On reading up,if my tyre valves are rubber,it most likely not an individual,independent system but ABS instead which is linked to the rotations of the wheel.

Thanks for your help,I’m flummoxed with this 

would a TPMS warning even be an MOT fail ???.

And it's not as though you can just pull the fuse without disabling other stuff (although I suppose you could maybe pull it, start|shortdrive|stop| reinsert it and see if that gives it a kick)

NB no expert , just thinking out loud

image.png.2e0b8939e0355804ca681c60640fd4ab.png

24 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

Yes, depending on year of registration TPMS was made mandatory.

1 hour ago, Nexus21 said:

I’ve bought a new genuine tpms sensor

The TPMS on the Octavia 3 uses the ABS wheel speed sensors, not wheel pressure sensors.

1 hour ago, Nexus21 said:

I’ve had vcds and also Autocom scanners on it,clear codes and it pops up again.

What is the code telling you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Winston_Woof said:

And it's not as though you can just pull the fuse without disabling other stuff (although I suppose you could maybe pull it, start|shortdrive|stop| reinsert it and see if that gives it a kick)

NB no expert , just thinking out loud

image.png.2e0b8939e0355804ca681c60640fd4ab.png

TPMS checks were added to the MOT test checklist in January 2015 and is carried out on the tyre pressure monitoring system (TPMS) for M1 vehicles first used on or after 1 January 2012.

If the tyre pressure monitoring system is malfunctioning or obviously not working – this counts as a ‘major’ fault on the MOT checks.

R

• Like 1

@Nexus21 Have you pressed the TPMS reset button?

Apparently this is a thing , who knew ;o)

Turn the ignition to the ON position (making sure the engine is off)

Press the TPMS reset button found in the glove box or centre console, until you hear an audible "chime".

Then, all you need to do is drive the vehicle and it will complete the relearn

https://www.hometyre.co.uk/mobile-tyre-fitting/mobile-tyre-fitting-gatwick/blog/tpms-light-reset-on-a-skoda-octavia-tyre-pressure-light-skoda/

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thank you.I don’t believe mine has this… it’s done via the infotainment touchscreen -2014 Vrs petrol estate.

No option to “Set” it was briefly there some months ago but now not at all 😩

@Nexus21 no offence but I'm now confused(doesn't take much lol).

Does your car have indirect TPMS (which apparently uses the ABS speed sensors) or does it have TPMS monitors in the tyres (which are totally separate from the ABS)?

You mentioned the head unit was upgraded, maybe the cars confused if it is actually an Indirect TPMS Car but with a HU that's expecting Direct TPMS?

There definitely no button like this hiding inside the glovebox or on centre console??

What's this button in the glove box do? 2023 forester Australia :  r/SubaruForester

@Nexus21 

Can you access via the infotainment:

"Menu" "Settings" "tyres" ? 

IMO, such a setting in the infotainment system, would be unusual to "disappear" unless coding has been messed with. 

Sorry missed you'd tried tyres menu option. 

Edited by paulski
Missed tyres menu already attempted

Thank you Paulski.I just checked and deffo no button in the glove box or the centre  console.Ive also cross checked the ABS long code to a log file from vcds when it happened back in August 2023.The long codes are the same 😩

As someone said earlier,I do now believe it is down to a faulty ABS sensor ( 1 of the 4) but which one is anyone’s guess,don’t see how to this is achieved if no info on the infotainment screen 

If sensor at the wheel faulted, VCDS would have error in ABS module as well. That's where I'd be looking next. But given your knowledge of VCDS, I expect the autoscan has already been checked. 

Hope you find the culprit soon, sorry not to be able to offer any more clues. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Winston_Woof said:

@Nexus21 Have you pressed the TPMS reset button?

Apparently this is a thing , who knew ;o)

Turn the ignition to the ON position (making sure the engine is off)

Press the TPMS reset button found in the glove box or centre console, until you hear an audible "chime".

Then, all you need to do is drive the vehicle and it will complete the relearn

https://www.hometyre.co.uk/mobile-tyre-fitting/mobile-tyre-fitting-gatwick/blog/tpms-light-reset-on-a-skoda-octavia-tyre-pressure-light-skoda/

Do you have an Octavia? I'm guessing not.  The instructions given in the link are completely false.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ords said:

Do you have an Octavia? I'm guessing not.  The instructions given in the link are completely false.

and here (apparently) is an Octavia with a reset button on the centre console. 

Guess there is some truth in the article ;o)

Edited by Winston_Woof
  • Groan 1

27 minutes ago, Winston_Woof said:

and here (apparently) is an Octavia with a reset button on the centre console. 

Guess there is some truth in the article ;o)

That's a Mk2 🙄 this is a 2014 Mk3  👍

• Thanks 1

Yep mines a mk3 vrs estate 5e MQB with infotainment for the reset,there is no physical button to reset TPMS anywhere on the car.

photos are

1.My car

2.The above YouTube video I’ve seen before,as I was saying,there is no “Set” to touch on the top right of touchscreen to reset as in the above YouTube video,it’s just not there 😩

It did come up as ABS 

IMG_9092.png

IMG_9093.jpeg

Your infotainment system looks like a Bolero MIB2 - do you know if that's right? I'm pretty sure that the TPMS reset isn't on the status screen.

I will check my Amundsen MIB2 shortly and get back to you.

Edited by Warrior193
correction

Can’t say for sure but it has Apple Play,Apps etc on the touchscreen.It was upgraded to this from its original system by the previous owner.

My advice may be of no use but on my Superb with Columbus MIB2, press Menu, select Vehicle, press the gear icon at the bottom right (settings) then scroll down to Tyres and select. Tnen you have the option the (re)SET the tyre pressure thingy. Which resets any current warning. Had to do it last week.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Winston_Woof said:

Does your car have indirect TPMS (which apparently uses the ABS speed sensors) or does it have TPMS monitors in the tyres (which are totally separate from the ABS)?

I also wonder if the coding of the retrofitted infotainment is incorrect and it's expecting a direct TPMS system not the indirect that nearly every Octavia 3 has - and hence the infotainment isn't showing a TPMS reset button.

• Like 2

I think that the infotainment upgrade is the issue myself.I have borrowed hex vcds today and cannot see how to change it.thought it is in Installation List is CanGateway but I’m really not sure 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nexus21 said:

I think that the infotainment upgrade is the issue myself.I have borrowed hex vcds today and cannot see how to change it.thought it is in Installation List is CanGateway but I’m really not sure 

Two things to check with VCDS:

1) Is a direct TPMS module being shown in the Installation List? If so remove it from the CAN Gateway coding (unlikely unless the CAN Gateway was also retrofitted at the same time as the infotainment).

2) Check the coding of the infotainment (this is where a direct vs indirect TPMS incorrect coding will cause the option to reset not appear)

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nexus21 said:

It did come up as ABS

Maybe the ABS sensor(s) or ring(s)are faulty? Giving missed pulses so looking like a tyre issue rather than a solid ABS fault.

Have you had wheel bearings changed? Check the wiring/connections to the abs sensors.