Any changes to the vRS spec since 2021?

I’m looking at getting an approved used vRS and wondered if there had been any changes in spec level since 2021?

Have there been any things that used to be standard on earlier models that were changed to options on later cars?

And vice verse….. Anything that became standard on later cars?

Just wanting to know if it could sway my decision on what age of car to look at. 

Edited by WaveyDavey
Edited title.

• WaveyDavey changed the title to Any changes to the vRS spec since 2021?

Well it would seem that the spec looks to have pretty much stayed the same throughout then.... :) 

The only change I've come across myself is the change to the virtual cockpit screen which was changed on the MY23 cars?

If your budget can stretch to it, get the newest available model you can.

It seems that the introductry models had lots of software issues (check the forums here out) and although these should be fully sorted out in theory, you never know.

I agree with CKO, if possible go as late as you can afford. Early ('20-'21) MkIV's did suffer a few problems, mostly software related which were largely sorted out from MY22. I think the specs are pretty much unchanged otherwise, barring the odd minor tweak such as your virt. cockpit screen. Having said that, if any early problems have been rectified on the used car you're looking at, you should be fine - check the car's service/maintenance records for updates.

Whilst I can understand the posts about earlier models, just to add the flipside to this, since software version 1941 the software has been stable and solid.  Unfortunately, because it took Skoda an inordinate amount of time to get a grip on the software issues this has understandably undermined customer confidence.  I have a First  Edition SEL 21 plate and the Infotainment system is stable and snappy since I had the Infotainment updated to software version 1941 and also the SOS module firmware updated.

I am not sure if this is relevant to the VRS spec but be mindful that in very recent years Skoda did change the standard specifications of the Octavia's over different production periods due to the supply chain issues that all manufacturing experienced over the last 4 years.  So something that was part of the standard specification on the 2020/21 model may have been dropped on a 2022 model or not available at all.  So I would scrutinise what specs/extras are included on any car you consider purchasing.

Edited by spcdust
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, CKO said:

If your budget can stretch to it, get the newest available model you can.

It seems that the introductry models had lots of software issues (check the forums here out) and although these should be fully sorted out in theory, you never know.

11 hours ago, SouthernComfort said:

I agree with CKO, if possible go as late as you can afford. Early ('20-'21) MkIV's did suffer a few problems, mostly software related which were largely sorted out from MY22. I think the specs are pretty much unchanged otherwise, barring the odd minor tweak such as your virt. cockpit screen. Having said that, if any early problems have been rectified on the used car you're looking at, you should be fine - check the car's service/maintenance records for updates.

The budget i have is giving me cars up to 71 plates with the odd 22 plate.  I'm well aware of the Infotainment software issues as i was looking at Formentors and Golfs as well as the vRS untill narrowing it down to the vRS. Any car I buy i'll be wanting the software to be updated before collection as part of the deal if it isn't already up to date, (I'm only looking at Skoda Approved Used rather than the general second hand market), so there shouldn't be any issues there as it will be on the same software as a car a few months old anyway.  I was more interested in hardware changes like the virtual cockpit etc.... (And like the Powered tailgate on the Formentor that i mentioned). 

Edited by WaveyDavey

5 hours ago, spcdust said:

Whilst I can understand the posts about earlier models, just to add the flipside to this, since software version 1941 the software has been stable and solid.  Unfortunately, because it took Skoda an inordinate amount of time to get a grip on the software issues this has understandably undermined customer confidence.  I have a First  Edition SEL 21 plate and the Infotainment system is stable and snappy since I had the Infotainment updated to software version 1941 and also the SOS module firmware updated.

I am not sure if this is relevant to the VRS spec but be mindful that in very recent years Skoda did change the standard specifications of the Octavia's over different production periods due to the supply chain issues that all manufacturing experienced over the last 4 years.  So something that was part of the standard specification on the 2020/21 model may have been dropped on a 2022 model or not available at all.  So I would scrutinise what specs/extras are included on any car you consider purchasing.

That's what i was thinking regarding software.... As i'm only looking at Skoda Approved Used if the car's software isn't up to date i'll be wanting it updated to the latest release (1941 or possibly 1969 by the time of the sale) so that won't be an issue. It does appear that the only change to spec is the virtual cockpit though touch wood.

2 minutes ago, WaveyDavey said:

The budget i have is giving me cars up to 71 plates with the odd 22 plate.  Any car I buy i'll be wanting the software to be updated before collection as part of the deal if it isn't already up to date, (I'm only looking at Skoda Approved Used rather than the general second hand market), so there shouldn't be any issues there as it will be on the same software as a car a few months old anyway.  I was more interested in hardware changes like the virtual cockpit etc.... (And like the Powered tailgate on the Formentor that i mentioned). 

if you are traveling to a dealer make sure they have indeed updated the software before collection.  They are meant to do this as standard for Skoda Approved Used but they seem to often miss this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spcdust said:

if you are traveling to a dealer make sure they have indeed updated the software before collection.  They are meant to do this as standard for Skoda Approved Used but they seem to often miss this.

Yep something i'd thought of myself. I'll be asking for someone to message me a photo of the info screen to confirm if the dealership is a distance away.

51 minutes ago, WaveyDavey said:

Yep something i'd thought of myself. I'll be asking for someone to message me a photo of the info screen to confirm if the dealership is a distance away.

Good idea, as you know the salesman will tell you it has been updated and then you'll get there it won't have been.

I have had my 70 plate (January 2021) First Edition since October 2023 and it came without the software update, I got it done at my local Skoda dealership (the original dealership was not local to me) and the difference is night and day.  Now very stable and snappy.

Edited by spcdust
  • Like 1

Perhaps get a picture of the VIN plate to see if the car has towbar prep done. Even if you don't plan to fit one now without the prep it cannot be done.....ever.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WaveyDavey said:

The budget i have is giving me cars up to 71 plates with the odd 22 plate.  I'm well aware of the Infotainment software issues as i was looking at Formentors and Golfs as well as the vRS untill narrowing it down to the vRS. Any car I buy i'll be wanting the software to be updated before collection as part of the deal if it isn't already up to date, (I'm only looking at Skoda Approved Used rather than the general second hand market), so there shouldn't be any issues there as it will be on the same software as a car a few months old anyway.  I was more interested in hardware changes like the virtual cockpit etc.... (And like the Powered tailgate on the Formentor that i mentioned). 

Unsure about UK spec cars but in NZ, the chance for free standing options disappeared when the chip crisis bit, being replaced by one option pack where buyers got the 19" wheels, HUD, pano roof, massage front seats, winter pack (heated front and rear seats and steering wheel) and a few other goodies bundled together.  So, buyers had the choice of a base car or a fully optioned one with nothing in between.

The comments others made on the software edition and tow bar prep are also relevant.

• Like 1

Well intentioned as our comments were from non-UK markets, they were based on generalities concerning the foibles experienced in early models. You already know what you have to do to about that.

Determining spec differences between MkIV model years in UK delivered vehicles may well be different to those elsewhere, depending on the customising options made available in the UK. Best wishes with your project.

11 hours ago, WaveyDavey said:

To be fair the Golf 8 and Formentor/Leon share the same MIB3/MOI3 infotainment system as the Octavia. That means similar aged vehicles may experience just the same issues IF the software hasn't been updated.

On 11/03/2024 at 22:32, WaveyDavey said:

Well it would seem that the spec looks to have pretty much stayed the same throughout then.... :) 

The only change I've come across myself is the change to the virtual cockpit screen which was changed on the MY23 cars?

Can i clarify when you refer to MY23 batch, does it refer to Year of Manufacture 2023 as well or its usually 1 year earlier? 

39 minutes ago, EldridChapman said:

MY23 batch

MY23 refers to cars made from approximately July 2022 (usually after a summer shutdown but not always) with a VIN year digit that indicates 23 as the model year.

Year Digit Code.JPG

• Like 2

On 13/03/2024 at 14:11, EldridChapman said:

Can i clarify when you refer to MY23 batch, does it refer to Year of Manufacture 2023 as well or its usually 1 year earlier? 

MY23 (Manufacture Year 2023) so vehicles that are produced from the summer of 2022 and were usually delivered to customers from the autumn of 2022.

• Like 1