Coil failure

Hi 

Have a 3 cylinder automatic Octavia 1.2 2019 petrol that has suffered 2 coils failing today.  RAC after a wait today plus expense as wasn’t a member,replaced the coils and plugs that were dirty.  Car has only done 23500 miles -  I am worried as car has low mileage and feel coils should have lasted much longer.  Car was serviced 6 weeks ago at 20000 at Skoda dealership in Glasgow.  Should I replace the coil that didn’t fail and have I any comeback with Skoda…,coils should last thousands of miles.  Had a oil change last service

any info thoughts/advice appreciated.

John 

Are you sure it is a 3 cylinder 1.2?   

Not a 1.0TSI ?  &  With a GPF. 

The Spark Plugs were due replacing at 4 years / 40,000 miles.

The early demise of spark plugs can cause the demise of Ignition coils.  There have been 1.0 TSI spark pugs not lasting long.

Threads in the Fabia Mk3 section.

Was it Henrys that serviced it and ignored the spark plug schedule?   

Dirty Spark plugs are odd, did the RAC Responder check the gap of the spark plugs?   Or just say they were dirty. 

Edited by Rooted

Sorry you’re right it’s a Skoda 1.0 tse SE technology DSG Only done 23500 miles so no spark plug change as yet.  
Had oil changed last service then a various ticked off check and all was ok….6 weeks ago. 
Why would 2 coils fail,  plus plugs looked pretty dirty so these were changed as well.  
Should I be concerned !!  Would you change the last plug and coil.  Just semi retired so this is the newest car I’ve own and was hoping it would last a while !!!! 

4 hours ago, jam1 said:

Only done 23500 miles

OTOH it is 4 years old, and I'd certainly consider that as lifetime for the spark plugs.

How much is 1 (one) coil pack against the trade price of a working car?

• Like 1

@jam1  did you pay for only 2 new spark plugs in a 3 cylinder car?   Was that the RAC operative that went and got them and 2 new coils.     The spark plugs should all have been changed at the Service when done at 4 years.   If not changed they have not been looked at.  No point the tech saying.  Too low a mileage.     Do you have the plugs removed to take a picture of?    How much has 2 plugs and 2 coils cost you?  

Hi checked when car was made and this was  July 2019 so should have had new plugs put in second service 6 weeks ago as know car was over  4 years old, this was done at Henrys Skoda Glasgow-

I ve had a few replies here saying it’s 4 years when this should be done

I would have thought it is their job to notice this rather than me work out here ?? This was only the cars second service…and put it in there in the hope they, being a Skoda dealer, would do everything well. It had an oil change and a basic tick ✔️ sheet done that all was ok. 
I’ve kept the 2 plugs and the coils that were removed by RAC, cost for 2 plugs and 2 coils was £125.  Will I have any come back with Skoda dealer if this was missed as feel it’s unlikely this would have happened if plugs were changed in last service… new plug were definitely over due then going by all advice given here
I will get the other plug changed immediately but would you change the working coil with the new plug or leave it.  
thanks 

A new Spark Plug and Coil matching the 2 fitted.

The Spark Plugs should last well past 4 years, even past 40,000 miles.

But Skoda started 1.0 TSI,s with a GPF in 2018 and there have been cars with premature plug failures.

Just because a car is low miles that is no indication of how many times it is fired up to do short trips or longer trips, or Stop / Start is active etc.

Skoda / VW Group Official Repairers will know how plugs are looking at at 4 years if they are changing them.

Too often the Service Staff say 'Special plugs' good for 65,000 miles.   Because on the job trained by a muppet. 

They might have a NVQ is keyboard or reception services.  Or not even that. 

This was a bit of an odd one.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/509386-three-cylinder-engine-overheating-causing-valve-failure

Screenshot 2024-03-30 10.36.26.png

Edited by Rooted

Mrs B had a lovely 07 reg 3 cyl Fabia, but it kept ‘losing’ coil packs,  the last time it happened was on the M25, when we hadn’t replaced the last spare we usually kept with the car.

Called the RAC, whose gizmo diagnosed at least one duff coil, fortunately he had one on his van (must be common, then?).  Anyway, he volunteered to follow me until I would leave the M25, to check all was OK.  But a few miles on, it failed again.  ‘Must be plugs’ he suggested.  Fortunately there was a Halfords just off the next junction.  With a new set of plugs we never had another coil pack let go.  Lesson learnt - but we still p/ex’d the car soon after for a 1.6 diesel Fabia.  And entered the world of short journey DPF problems…

• Like 1

Hopefully once the last one is replaced all will be fine and I can relax eventually. 
👍

That looks far too much.

Not surprising it is running too rich.

I would be asking where it was serviced if they can ask the Tech or Fitter that serviced the car if they had removed them, decided they did not need replacing and maybe a clean and regap.

Or if they left them as they were.   Not bothering with the Scheduled Servicing and Maintenance. 

• Like 2

Thanks when you say regap, does this mean if I buy a replacement plug, I need to do anything  regarding gap in the plug?  
Going to call skoda about last service a number of weeks ago and why plugs were not replaced.   

The correct plug comes Pre-gapped.  & protected by a cardboard or plastic sleeve.

Many just then put them in, being sure not to knock them and change the gap. 

I check each plug with the correct feeler just to see they are Pre-gapped properly. 

Were not taken out say at a Motor Factors or by a RAC person and knocked. 

Professionals might say nonsense, we do them everyday and never an issue. 

Well that is what i was taught when an apprentice not to do.

It takes seconds to check and just assuming is for muppets.   Except tere were no Muppets when i was an apprentice or pre-set plugs or plugs that need care if re-gapping as much as they are now. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, jam1 said:

Going to call skoda about last service a number of weeks ago and why plugs were not replaced.

Are there any Spark Plugs on the invoice?

They might not have done them this year as they were due to be / were changed in 2023 when it was four years old.

What is the service history showing on ERWIN?

The spark plugs look worse than the ones I changed on my TSI at 37K miles and four years old.

On 30/03/2024 at 09:05, jam1 said:

second service 6 weeks ago as know car was over  4 years old

Are you on Variable Servicing.

If so I would suggest you change to Fixed Servicing for the car with your mileage.

Thanks. AG Falco

Edited by AGFalco
Grammer, missed a space.

That would be Fixed Oil & Filter Servicing regimes. Annual Oil changes.

These places in Glasgow are like many others.  Look see and Change the Oil. Report.

Everything else needs paid for and some muppet on the service desk is more bothered about saying the Discs are Worn and the AC needs serviced.

Servicing & Maintenance is a mystery to them. 

@Crucian   You have a Fabia Mk2 vRS Twincharger and a whole different kettle of fish.

& unless you are doing maybe 15,000 miles a year you are peeing money against a wall.  IMHO.

If you have it remapped the plugs might fair better, even if doing track days or 1/4 mile visits.

The issue with your engine will be one spark plug if there is any issue.   Sooted up, oiled up and burning the tip off. 

image1(1).jpeg.f71c9e5a8a535717d7df52fdac637baf.jpeg.2b335820acb837cf3a89bb34516a0f25.jpeg

5996b3e106f40_DensoVSNKGIR.jpg.b78f9be1afe81e8cf54213d2955755e4.jpg.9b50eef129b94085e7e5d7271c7a5ef0.jpg

post-86161-0-95794600-1483521097.jpg.40f9db3f2aa191113eca3de6194baf55.jpg

Edited by Rooted