Skoda Connect Services

Skoda are asking me for £36 for a year's subscription to Remote Access and £44 for Infotainment Online. Any views as to whether this is worthwhile? Having bought the car new a year ago, I was not expecting such a bill and I am not clear about what will stop working if I don't take up their offer, nor whether I can subscribe after the renewal date if something important to me stops working. 

You will lose app access and traffic info updates IIRC. 

Map updates I think can be done manually via the update portal. TBQH unless you do a lot of driving and don't have a smartphone with Waze or Google Maps, then it's probably worth it.

I did them this time, but I don't know if I'll do the infotainment online update next year, as I haven't decided whether I'm going to keep the car.

The app access is useful as you can check all sorts of things and check the windows are closed, doors locked, fuel level & even do toot and flash if you forget where you parked in a shopping complex or to scare away kids or creepy characters. 

Edited by TheWanderer

I kept Skoda Connect remote access as the connectivity to the car is handy.  You can check if the car is locked and, in most cases remote lock it, gives you driving and fuel efficiency data, car alarm notifications, and the location of the car.  I didn't bother renewing Infotainment Online as the only real benefit was OTA map updates / live traffic and I use better navigation/map services via Carplay.  As @TheWanderer says, you can update the built-in maps manually via the Skoda portal, although they seem a little behind the OTA updates.

aye  , if nothing else then the remote access is useful/worth it for keeping track of fuel consumption if(like me) you're you're lazy to record it manually ;o)

image.thumb.png.b9c2ba2a9cf21ff29e4c4cafbd130b58.png

3 hours ago, Winston_Woof said:

aye  , if nothing else then the remote access is useful/worth it for keeping track of fuel consumption if(like me) you're you're lazy to record it manually ;o)

image.thumb.png.b9c2ba2a9cf21ff29e4c4cafbd130b58.png

Where can you access the list of trips as I cannot see anywhere that lists my fuel consumption either on the app (Android) or website.

Ignore - just found it on the website 🙃

Edited by Maxi24
Cause I'm an idiot :-)
  • Like 1

I bought a used car and the salesman recommended against Skoda Connect.  I looked at the options and considered the free 1 month offer to update the navigation but updated it using the download files.

I do not see any great benefit for my use.

28 minutes ago, RobL50 said:

I bought a used car and the salesman recommended against Skoda Connect.  I looked at the options and considered the free 1 month offer to update the navigation but updated it using the download files.

I do not see any great benefit for my use.

The salesman is an idiot. 

The app is useful for the things that have been previously mentioned, I swear that half of them don't know what they're talking about or the product. 

Download the app, register your car and get it linked and then use it, it's really useful for checking doors and windows, alarm activation and finding where you left the car and so on. You can even run the vents for a few minutes if you want to prior to using the car. 

Maps are OK, but I tend to use Waze or Google Maps for navigation as they seem more reliable. 

Why does that make him an idiot, he had the customer in front of him and could probably make an educated guess whether he was the type that would willingly pay £36 per year for things that someone like yourself may value but others would not.

Many might think that people who pay £36 a year for such doubtful benefits, most if not all can be achieved by getting off ones ar5e, are idiots.

• Like 1

I used my for about a month after getting the car then lost interest in it. The one time that it tried to tell me that the car was still unlocked it was actually lying to me.  It is of no use to me and I obviously didn't renew it.  Mine didn't have the sat nav features, I use my Garmin nuvi (with lifetime updates) for that (or the ipad).

Edited by avi4tor

The app has significantly improved since it first came out and there are different versions of it in existence. I checked mine and it's up to date 

Love the app, especially because I have parking heater which I can start from the app. If you don't have heater, then it's just neat for driving data and to see if vehicle is locked or not 

Slight tangent to this thread but does anyone find that using the full version of MySkoda App the vehicle status takes an inordinate amount of time to Load / Update.  On the MySkoda Essential version of the App it updates more or less instantly?

13 minutes ago, spcdust said:

Slight tangent to this thread but does anyone find that using the full version of MySkoda App the vehicle status takes an inordinate amount of time to Load / Update.  On the MySkoda Essential version of the App it updates more or less instantly?

Yeah it is also very slow for me. 

• Like 1

Hi Stonekeeper,

Looks like I did. A "registration fee" of £55 was included on my original purchase invoice but I was unclear as to was it was for...

John

• Thanks 1

I use Google Maps via Android Auto for sat nav. Does anyone know whether this will continue to work without a subscription to Infotainment Online? 

5 minutes ago, JohnCavill said:

I use Google Maps via Android Auto for sat nav. Does anyone know whether this will continue to work without a subscription to Infotainment Online? 

Yep, will work no issues

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheWanderer said:

Yep. Although you can't get the best alternative to it, Waze to appear in the VC display for some reason 🙁

Not VC but Waze does work with heads-up display...albeit badly !

I find it can be very picky about it, if you have a good phone signal it's not too bad, otherwise crap..

I've also noticed that traffic sign recognition has disappeared from the shop for some reason. 

3 hours ago, spcdust said:

Yep, will work no issues

Thanks spcdust. I'll renew the Remote Access and leave the Infotainment Online to expire and see what happens...

• Like 1

For me it's a total waste of money (especially considering the cost of the car) and another example of getting more money out of existing customers which is very Skoda, the Toyota app comes free for 3 or 4 years.  Most updates to the infotainment system lately have been shop updates, again you can see what Skoda are concerned most about.

There must be another similar post running about Skoda Connect but I did say I’d be interested in just the mapping updates which according to Skoda shop only cost €5. However having shopped and entered the item in the basket, there seems no way to pay, UK doesn’t appear in the drop-down list. Anyone help?
Thank you