Can we add speed camera alerts to Mk4 Sat Nav?

Hi.

Does anyone know if we can import Speed Camera locations into the Mk4's Sat Nav system as POIs?

I do camera spotting for PocketGPSWorld every so often, making notes of where cameras are around West Surrey & NE Hants, adding them to their subscription database, I also report them for adding to Waze.

Do you ever, out of curiosity, unblock me just to see what I’ve said?

I’m not aware of this being done. Tried any of the other VAG forums? 

1 hour ago, ItalianJob said:

Just use Google Maps/Waze. Makes life so much easier?

While you've got logic suggesting this. It's really not helpful.

It's the same as having people say just use Google Maps/Waze instead of the inbuilt navigation - it good to have a backup system and it means the maps on the VC and MIB are as consistent as they can be.

4 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

Hi.

Does anyone know if we can import Speed Camera locations into the Mk4's Sat Nav system as POIs?

I do camera spotting for PocketGPSWorld every so often, making notes of where cameras are around West Surrey & NE Hants, adding them to their subscription database, I also report them for adding to Waze.

Unfortunately, no. Your best bet would be to contribute to HERE Maps - https://mapcreator.here.com. I'm not sure if you can add info such as speed cameras, but you can update speed limit information. Contributions seem to take about 6-12 months to compiled and pushed out as an update by Skoda/Volkswagen. Although being in Europe/UK you get more incremental updates via Skoda Connect.

5 minutes ago, aaaaplay said:

While you've got logic suggesting this. It's really not helpful.

It's the same as having people say just use Google Maps/Waze instead of the inbuilt navigation - it good to have a backup system and it means the maps on the VC and MIB are as consistent as they can be.

Unfortunately, no. Your best bet would be to contribute to HERE Maps - https://mapcreator.here.com. I'm not sure if you can add info such as speed cameras, but you can update speed limit information. Contributions seem to take about 6-12 months to compiled and pushed out as an update by Skoda/Volkswagen. Although being in Europe/UK you get more incremental updates via Skoda Connect.

Unhelpful?  Google/Waze is always up to date. Don't you have to manually update the built in nav maps if you want camera locations or other POI's?  You can't do that when you are out and about.

Unless I've totally missed the point (very likely) 😁

56 minutes ago, ItalianJob said:

Unhelpful?  Google/Waze is always up to date. Don't you have to manually update the built in nav maps if you want camera locations or other POI's?  You can't do that when you are out and about.

Unless I've totally missed the point (very likely) 😁

I only say unhelpful because it's so obvious. If @TheWanderer is involved in camera spotting for PocketGPSWorld then he'll likely know about Waze/Google Maps. 

Some people - myself included, like to keep everything as up to date and useful as possible.

Half a year ago, I bought Traffication and Calendar option. I used it for a while and concluded that only the calendar is useful for me.

But a few weeks ago, notices about speed cameras suddenly started coming and they come from Traffication.

A useful feature if you want to use Google maps or built in navigation.

Edited by kasparsc
  • Like 1

yes, Traffication also does same for me with either a visual and/or vocal warning about a speed camera ahead. The paid for app itself has buttons to report an issue, on the road, traffic jam, accident and more but TBH I've never delved into it while driving to see if there's a button to report a camera or mobile cash trap. 

Took a wander to the Skoda Website, this doesn't seem to cover cameras:

image.png.f350e0d13572ce28d0f1ea05858c6d91.png

5 hours ago, kasparsc said:

Half a year ago, I bought Traffication and Calendar option. I used it for a while and concluded that only the calendar is useful for me.

But a few weeks ago, notices about speed cameras suddenly started coming and they come from Traffication.

A useful feature if you want to use Google maps or built in navigation.

Interesting, so you get alerts even if you're not using the in built Skoda navigation? If you're using Google maps as you mention for example, where do the alerts show up? On the virtual cockpit, or the main screen?

Cheers 👍🏻

36 minutes ago, STEV0 said:

Interesting, so you get alerts even if you're not using the in built Skoda navigation? If you're using Google maps as you mention for example, where do the alerts show up? On the virtual cockpit, or the main screen?

Cheers 👍🏻

I don't have built-in navi, but notifications appears as pop-ups.

It is interesting that when you press the button "Parādīt vietu" - Show location in english, a map opens showing the location of the speed camera.

20240418_091143.jpg

Edited by kasparsc
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kasparsc said:

I don't have built-in navi, but notifications appears as pop-ups.

20240418_091143.jpg

Thanks. I wonder where this pulls its data from. If it's just using reports posted by other Skoda drivers that are using the traffication app I think it might not be very useful at all. But if it's getting data from elsewhere, perhaps it could be helpful...

The pop up notification is a bit on the obtrusive side for my liking, covers 70% of the screen area and persists slightly too long without you having to poke it to go away. Also if you have voice notifications, it kills your music for an equally too long period.

I guess having paid yer money, there's no way you're going back to Skoda saying I got done coz your app didn't look out for me well enough!

• Like 1

I tried the onboard navigation when I had an active subscription and found it very lacking.  Seemed to not be aware of some major roadworks and sent me down a dead-end route adding 5 miles onto my journey due to the road being closed.

For me, the speed camera database is imperative as is the way it warns you and I can't fault Tom Tom Go via Carplay.  Every camera seems to be logged, audible alerts in good time as you approach a camera even if you are under the speed limit, and shows your average speed whilst driving through average speed camera zones, also includes traffic light cameras and obviously live traffic.  You can localise the maps to your phone and these are very regularly updated.  I pay £29.99 a year for a family subscription so is shared with my wife and worth it.  I do sometimes use Waze for my short commute in London as its routing choices can be useful in rush hour.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Genesis32 said:

How do i add speed cameras to Google maps 

You can't. You need to be an level 6 editor to add them to Waze. Waze is slowly becoming better than GM, as they're updated more frequently.