Nextbase rear dashcam Installation

I’ve just bought one of these and now I’d to find out if anyone has any advice on fitting the darn thing! 😂

I already have a hardwired Nextbase dashcam.

Any advice, pitfalls or guides most welcome. I have done a search and found a couple for an estate but not a hatchback. 

I've fitted one to a Superb mkII twin hatch where the rear camera is mounted at the top of the hatch window just below the high level brake light with the wire passing over to the top of the hatch opening / top of rubber seal with just enough wire length to allow the hatch to open ok without disturbing the camera. The wire is then hidden  following the top rubber hatch seal , the around the top of a trim panel (drivers side behind rear seat)  and then down behind the rubber rear door seal down to the sill trim and onwards to the front drivers door rubber seal eventually finding its way up the drivers side windscreen pillar and behind trim all the way to the windscreen mounted Nextbase dashcam.   Pretty straight forward with no brittle clips disturbed. It has worked well for quite a few years now.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Best advice don’t fit it, I’m sure people with dashcam switch off their and no longer see the bigger picture whilst driving.

All the bad drivers I see all have dashcams, probably because the road is full of “idiots”

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Danoid said:

Best advice don’t fit it, I’m sure people with dashcam switch off their and no longer see the bigger picture whilst driving.

All the bad drivers I see all have dashcams, probably because the road is full of “idiots”

Totally disagree. I got rear-ended and my rear dashcam footage helped my insurance claim go through without any doubt as to what happened and who was at fault.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, numskull said:

Yes bigjohn, that really does, thank you. 👍🏻

Few photos - I've slightly pulled cables/trim to reveal wires etc:- :-wimage.thumb.jpeg.ceec680d01bb0f760c28e34a77d950b6.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.04e167d9035d564b306b9faeeba18fa4.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.41bff4d096580aa3572557d528460feb.jpeg

PXL_20240423_173701761.jpg

PXL_20240423_173714933.jpg

PXL_20240423_173811422.jpg

PXL_20240423_173832021.jpg

PXL_20240423_173853510.jpg

Edited by bigjohn
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Danoid said:

I’ve been using a dashcam for 11 years and I can categorically say it has had a positive impact, on my driving style. Having a camera in your car cuts both way, because it records everything you do in terms of speed, braking and risk. Fitting the rear camera is for exactly the reason @Matchman55 points out. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bigjohn said:

PXL_20240423_173832021.jpg

It looks like you did not remove the A-pillar trim to route the cable. I hope I'm wrong.

Because, it's quite risky. It may disturb airbag deployment in case of emergency. Removing the trim and fix the cable to the existing harnesses with tie-wraps would be safer. ;) 

This may help:

6 hours ago, Matchman55 said:

Totally disagree. I got rear-ended and my rear dashcam footage helped my insurance claim go through without any doubt as to what happened and who was at fault.

Wouldn't be without a dashcam. I was the rear ender a number of years back and the footage proved it was a sub 5mph shunt and the ins co threw out the other party's 'personal injury' claim.

1 hour ago, Bap33 said:

It looks like you did not remove the A-pillar trim to route the cable. I hope I'm wrong.

Because, it's quite risky. It may disturb airbag deployment in case of emergency. Removing the trim and fix the cable to the existing harnesses with tie-wraps would be safer. ;) 

Mine is a poverty spec mkIi and as far as I know if doesn't have A pillar air bags - no plastic "airbag" badge as there is on the B pillar. Cable is routed around the top to the door seal. Obviously @numskull has a mk iii so it's an important note but hopefully that shouldn't be an issue as that car already has wiring for a dash cam so the route is already known.  I was mainly trying to show how the rear camera was mounted / cables routed for the rear hatch.

I've deleted the A pillar photos as clearly not relevant. 

Edited by bigjohn

Hi, 

There´s no plastic airbag badge on A-pillar trim of my L&K either, though there IS an airbag behind.

There´s no reproach, only a kind advice for all who may be interested in installing a front dashcam ;).

13 hours ago, Bap33 said:

Hi, 

There´s no plastic airbag badge on A-pillar trim of my L&K either, though there IS an airbag behind.

There´s no reproach, only a kind advice for all who may be interested in installing a front dashcam ;).

Thanks, you are indeed correct!!!!  I've removed the A pillar trim and relocated the wires.

• Like 2

This seemed the best place to post this, but I'm sure someone will move it if not.

I have a hard-wired Nextbase front and rear dashcam myself, and my wife came across an item in the press today saying that this 'permanent' arrangement (rather than something plugged into the fag lighter) could be considered by an insurer to be a modification and used as a get-out clause in the event of any claim if they have not been notified. I'll be getting on to my insurer to check ..... maybe others should too.

13 hours ago, petrolcan said:

Link to the article?

I don't know how to do that, but it was an online item from the Manchester Evening News yesterday.

22 hours ago, ArisaigDavid said:

This seemed the best place to post this, but I'm sure someone will move it if not.

I have a hard-wired Nextbase front and rear dashcam myself, and my wife came across an item in the press today saying that this 'permanent' arrangement (rather than something plugged into the fag lighter) could be considered by an insurer to be a modification and used as a get-out clause in the event of any claim if they have not been notified. I'll be getting on to my insurer to check ..... maybe others should too.

Most insurers give a discount for having a dashcam; bit like having CCTV at home however, I’m not surprised this could be the case. Underwriters are demanding that every single opportunity needs to be taken by brokers to minimise their risk. Obviously the one which has had the biggest impact was the introduction of loading for insured who’ve been invoked in a no fault accident about 20 years ago. But claim rejection for non-declaration of the most minor non-OE items such as head units, wheels, bulbs or even tyres is outrageous and should be outlawed, but of course, many MP’s and members of the Lords are in the pockets of the insurance industry, so that’ll never happen. 

I just switched to LV and they had a tick box for both dashcam and rear parking sensors. I thought it was a bit bizarre but I ticked both and it took my premium quote up higher than what I'd been quoted from the comparison website. (Something like 550 to 570 when ticked). 

My payment on the website failed and I had to ring them up the next day to sort it out and they ultimately didn't honour the quote price from the day before so I hung up and shopped around. 

Ended up with LV anyway because all prices are wild. 

Absolutely nothing but ripping off the customer. The insurance cartel decided to increase revenues to meet the “massively increased costs of repair and payouts for non-insured driver at fault accidents”. Perhaps they should focus on the manufacturers charging completely outrageous prices for replacement parts as they’ve beaten the bodyshop hourly rates to death. £1,500 for a new headlight unit is utterly ridiculous, as is £180 for a bit of external trim. 

I saved this a couple of days ago, this seems an appropriate time to post it:

https://amp-theguardian-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/amp.theguardian.com/money/2024/apr/17/renault-repair-zoe-heater-car?amp_js_v=0.1&_gsa=1#webview=1

The relevant bit is the last paragraph with the photo of a slightly damaged bumper on an Octavia Estate but the rest of the article is of interest and on topic.

• Like 1
  • Groan 1

So with the weather being ok today I want to start the install the rear dashcam.
Does anyone have advice / instructions on the removal of the tailgate trim? So I’ve done a site lookup and I’ve found there is a torx bolt in the upper section somewhere and the lower section needs to be remove first, but I’d like a bit more information if anyone can help, so the FU 🧚 remains firmly in their place! 

4 hours ago, numskull said:

So with the weather being ok today I want to start the install the rear dashcam.
Does anyone have advice / instructions on the removal of the tailgate trim? So I’ve done a site lookup and I’ve found there is a torx bolt in the upper section somewhere and the lower section needs to be remove first, but I’d like a bit more information if anyone can help, so the FU 🧚 remains firmly in their place! 

Hi,

I don't know how about hatch version. But on Estate, you have to :

1) Remove lights and boot button (if electric version). then unplug them (Use a flat screw driver to remove both lights and button.

2) Pull the lower trim straight (and strongly). It's simply clipped. Just on the top of my head, I think there are something like 8-12 metal clips al around. Using a plastic tool as a lever to unclips the 3-4 first ones will help.

3) The upper trim effectively has 2 torx screws. It should be T25 if I remember well. They're located on each end of the trim (being hidden by the lower trim, once reassembled). Remove them

4) Pull the upper trim straight (and strongly). There should be approximatively 8 clips

For reassembly, there's no problem doing steps 3 & 4 in reverse order.

After that, pay attention to align correctly both centering pins of the lower trim. They're located on each side and have to slide straight in both ends of the upper trims.

Don't forget to make connectors for lights and boot button go thru their holes in the lower trim.

Then just clip the lower trim all around and at each side of the rear screen 

⚠️IMPORTANT NOTE⚠️: It's much easier to put the lower trim back in place, being helped by a pal. Otherwise, it's a PITA... You try to clip a side and the weight of the lower trim tiself unclips the other side 🤬. Both centering pins also make the operation harder...  

Finally put lights and boot button back in place and press all around to clip it correctly. Don't fogret both clips someehow at each side of the rear wiper motor.

Done!