Skip to content

EPC Light On During Drive Home From Purchase Of Car

Featured Replies

Hi all!

Very new to the family (less than 24hours!), and it might be a flying visit…

Yesterday I picked up my new car from Cinch, a 2018 ŠKODA Octavia VRS Petrol Manual, 230ps.

I was all very excited, having come from a 31yo Volvo 850, to experience ‘modern reliabilty’.

On my drive home from collection however, the EPC light came on, accompanied by a system error for the start/stop function.

I pulled over to do some googling, and considered that it might be a low battery health causing it, but my symptoms were also as follows:

  • [No EPC light on] I accelerated hard in third, the engine got up to high RPM before jerking, and releasing power [EPC light comes on]. I would then be put into what I assume is a type of limp mode, where I couldn’t do any real acceleration at all.

  • Turning the car on and off again reset the issue (ie; no light, and system check saying no errors with start/stop), but accelerate hard again and it all reoccurs

Cinch are taking the car to be code read and repaired imminently, but have assured me that I can exercise my right to return the car free of charge.

I did my due diligence prior to purchasing from cinch, and was aware that this could happen as a customer - I just didn’t think it would happen to me, fatal mistake !

So MY QUESTION…

Am I an absolute fool for considering keeping this car after the EPC issue has been diagnosed and fixed? I got a lovely spec, and thoroughly enjoyed driving it (albeit, for 30 minutes…), and part of me doesn’t want to go through the stress of waiting again for another to come up for sale in the spec I want.

But the sensible side of me is completely aghast that I’d even consider keeping a car that has literally broken down within hours of taking delivery.

So my question is, please can I get some advice (the harsher the better) as to whether I should be 100% taking this back, or whether I should wait to see what they diagnose the EPC error as before making any decisions.

Thanks all, from one disheartened, but otherwise impressed, recent ŠKODA owner!

Edited by MikeT850
Needed updating title

  • MikeT850 changed the title to EPC Light On During Drive Home From Purchase Of Car

Not Engine Light but It could be as simple as needing spark plugs. Misfires. It could be remapped and they have E10 Unleaded in.

  • Author
2 minutes ago, Evolution13 said:

Not Engine Light but It could be as simple as needing spark plugs. Misfires. It could be remapped and they have E10 Unleaded in.

Hi, thanks for the response! Say it was the spark plugs, given the car failed straight after purchase, should I still be walking away, or are spark plugs a common issue?

Regarding the E10, I actually filled it up form 1/4 empty to full with E10 myself on the way home. I’ve got no indication that it’s been remapped, so would assume it should run fine on E10. Could I get the garage to check the ECU for any previous tinkering when they take it away to code read it?

Thanks 😊

What SERVICE HISTORY do you have? What indication would you get that a vRS had a remap. CINCH never reset to Factory Settings. Has the VAQ Diff been serviced? Steering assist or brake assist might not be at Factory setting. This is what happens when buying used cars from Private sellers, Dealerships or car supermarkets. You do not know what you get until you can check everything out.

Edited by Evolution13

The fault could be something as simple as a sticking turbo actuator arm, wait and see what the investigation shows before considering rejection.

  • Author
1 hour ago, Warrior193 said:

The fault could be something as simple as a sticking turbo actuator arm, wait and see what the investigation shows before considering rejection.

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely going to wait and see till the diagnostics has been run before making any decision. Out of curiosity, please could I get some further advice if that's okay? If you were to list what sort of issue you would accept, like the sticking turbo actuator arm, vs what sort of issues would lead you to walk away from the car, how would the lists look? That would help me massively once I get the diagnosis back to decide whether to keep the car or not. Appreciate I'm asking a lot, but if you knew of any other threads that might cover this list of accept/reject faults, that would be greatly appreciated. I really want to keep the car, but I don't want to make a 5 figure mistake if I end up keeping a dodgy one...Thank you so much for your help! :)

  • Author
2 hours ago, Evolution13 said:

What SERVICE HISTORY do you have? What indication would you get that a vRS had a remap. CINCH never reset to Factory Settings. Has the VAQ Diff been serviced? Steering assist or brake assist might not be at Factory setting. This is what happens when buying used cars from Private sellers, Dealerships or car supermarkets. You do not know what you get until you can check everything out.

Hi, thank you once again for your help! So, this is where it gets interesting... Cinch, being a massive moneysupermarket of cars, don't tend to give out much service history. I therefore did my own digging (calling MOT centres, online paid searches etc) to build a picture of the service history. Looks likes its head general maintenance (oil change, brakes +fluid, plenty of tires etc), but no indication of any other major services that I could find. I know, a little dodgy already, but that's just how they operate. Maybe car people like us are not their target market! In terms of remap, i have no idea if it would have had one, and I have no idea how to check. It hadn't occurred to me that it would have. VAQ wise, I'm pretty sure as this is a 2018 230ps model, it didn't come with a VAQ unlike the 245 editions? But please correct me if I'm wrong, and advise on how I can check if I have one or not. Is there any way for me to check any of the things you mention out through the infotainment system (in the Car tab, or settings etc?), or would it need to be OBD read to determine these things?

I appreciate I sound like a novice, and to anything post 2000s, I am! But I would really appreciate any help I can get on this so that I can make a more informed decision as to whether to keep the car or not. It's a Meteor Grey Petrol Manual Estate which to me is the ultimate spec for these cars, so I don't want my attraction to blind me, and leave me stuck with a very expensive paperweight when it turns out to be a dud. Thank you so much for your help :)

@OccyVRS knows these cars, I don't. Hopefully he will be along.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Recently Browsing 1

Important Information

Welcome to BRISKODA. Please note the following important links Terms of Use. We have a comprehensive Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Account

Navigation

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.