Cars and Job interviews....

Neo_VR

Heres a interesting topic.

What do we briskodians think about what, if any effect a car would have on a candidate going for a job interview?

EG if you were going for a interview, would you make sure your car was clean?

or if you were interivewing someone, would you have any thoughts based on the car they drove, wether it was tidy or not?

(i think it may matter in certain job sectors.. eg IT, coz some IT people can be pretentious) - we have just had a guy start whos got a Audi TT.

Discuss :rofl:

• Administrators

Well if hairdressers can get IT jobs now...

I think it has little bearing to be honest. My manager has a TT though, it's a nice car really.

I think it matters more that they are mobile and dependable, if it were say a B reg fiesta, then I'd be worried about how often I saw them.

if it were a tvr then I'd think, done well for himself or loves his cars over houses and other hobbies etc...I don't think a car is a symbol like it used to be though.

I don't think a car is a symbol like it used to be though.

Very true.

A more expensive car would now suggest to me lots of debt,credit cards,not that someone had done well.Probably totally the wrong way to look at it but just my perception (potential online gambling addict:eek: ;) )

Don't think cars should come into it or distract an interviewer though.

I always washed my car the night before / morning of job interviews. I doubt it has any bearing on the interview, but I like to present myself well. I doubt many employers bother to look at the car you arrive in and just ask in the interview if you have your own transport.

I must admit though whenever people come here for interviews I look at their cars. Anyone with a skoda, guaranteed a job!!;)

Not sure about interviews as such, but I think it may have a bearing if you are heading out to a clients for potential work.

If you turn up in something really flash then they may get the wrong impression of you.

Especially if you are meeting the MD and your car is much nicer than his :lol:

I'd alwats put it down to curious engineers being nosey, in my case.

I know someone who works in IT where people seem better paid yet the car park is full of boring cars.

Former/current collegues have driven:

2 Audi RS4's

Audi RS6

Jag XKR

Jag XJR

3 Imprezas

Ford Racing Puma

TVR Tuscan

I think its just mechanically minded people being in engineering jobs and enjoying cars in their free time.

yeah i have been asked in 2 out of my last 3 interviews what i drove. the both seemed to really like it when they saw it too which was surprising.

im an engineer but sadly dont have anything near the list above :(

If I'm interviewing, my only concern is whether it will get them to work or not, although it can give you an insight into the character of some folks (men, mainly).

I interviewed someone recently who drove a 1950's split screen VW camper -with a Porsche engine!

Phil

Your car is certainly part of the image that you put forward in any situation , not just a job interview.

The way I look at it is that it certainly won't hurt to make sure the car is clean and tidy in case you are seen getting in and out of it , but if you turn up in it looking filthy it *may* leave a negative impression. For the sake of 20 minutes it can't do any harm to give it a quick wash.

Or make sure it's dirty 'rally-style' if you want to look sporty! :rofl:

If they're car fans and a boss they won't really be interested in 'just' a Skoda.

If they're not car-fans they won't care.

Edit: My current and last jobs asked but then carried on regardless simply becuase when they asked about hobbies I said I was into cars..

I've never been asked but in the past I have been conscious about turning up to interviews in a noisy Corsa with a vocal exhaust.

That's one of the reasons why the Fabia appealed to me - very subtle and understated.

Our MD (who is a bit of a lunatic) likes to have a nose around interviewee's cars - he checks for age, trim, whether it's leased or not and so on.

Lord knows what he hopes to find out. He drives a gold Lexus.

You work for Alan Partridge, right?!

I've never been interviewed and had anyone have any idea what I drove to get there. I've never interviewed anyone and even thought about asking what car they drove. I'm sure this is a non-issue apart from weirdo bosses....

Personally I don't think it's evear made a difference to me getting a job but nearly everyone I've worked with in IT in the UK is a petrolhead, so the subject usually came up.

Over here i haven't really met anyone through work who has the same sort of interest in cars that I do.

Everyone watches Top Gear but that seems to be about as far as it goes.