Creaking suspension on Octy II

I had my steering rack replaced yesterday and the creaking sound has now disappeared.

When did you buy yours ?

Any idea if the part has been updated, I thought they had sorted out the steering rack issues prior to me picking mine up (it was on the dealer demo)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has this affected any of the recent new builds? Or is this affecting the earlier builds?

I'm collecting mine on the 6th Jan :oD Can't wait!!!

Not got a knock or creak in our 05 1.9tdi Octavia Pool car and thats on 26k miles.

Mine was bought 7 months ago.

The dealers still hadn't phoned me back after a week so I chased them today.

They are trying to arrange a suitable time for someone to come and road test the car with me so I can point out the creak that their mechanic could hear the last three times it was in :rolleyes:

When did you buy yours ?

Any idea if the part has been updated, I thought they had sorted out the steering rack issues prior to me picking mine up (it was on the dealer demo)

I bought mine in August. It was a dealer's demo car which was registered in February. I have no idea if the part has been updated.

I bought mine in August. It was a dealer's demo car which was registered in February. I have no idea if the part has been updated.

The dealer demo I first test drove in Mid Jan needed new Steering Rack AFAIK, we heard noises when turning wheel at low speeds, but I thought that it was sorted on mine. Maybe its the same issue. Mine is becoming more noticable with lock on coming out of my driveway (it slopes down to the road), I've also found it a little on bumpy roads.

Its going in next week to have it looked at.

Talking to my local "parts" manager about Skoda problems and he said they had replaced a lot of racks - something to do with sensors inside them? He also commented they were getting around 45% of new cars sold returning for warranty work.

It does sound very high indeed.

Of course it depends on what sort of period we are talking about.

Over the three years , a good portion of cars will have *something* done under warrantly - I had a clutch pedal switch and a brake master cylinder on the Mk1 - but that was for things that had worked and then broke. I'd bet on half the cars sold having a minor glitch fixed somewhere along the line , usually during a scheduled service , and wouldn't think too badly of it.

If we are referring to cars that have had faults from the start that wen't back for work in the first 6 months then 45% is a really bad rate.

• 1 month later...

I had my suspension creaking looked at today, the Wishbone Bushes were lubed. They mentioned theres a tight tolerance on it and with the slight twisting movement it was rubbing.

We

Mine now creaks over every speed hump: annoying in our local Tesco.......... Leicestershire County Council seem to be putting speed cushions (just wide enough NOT to be able to straddle) down every village street...... AAAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!!! It's getting worse: off to the dealer, I guess.... well, it IS a lease car!!!! Mind you, it didn't start until about 27K mile (now at 35K).....:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Well , amazingly mine now seems to have fixed itself.

For the last two days it's been totally silent no matter how I drive over the speed humps.

It's now on 21k miles and the creaking started at about 9k , so whatever it was it's taken 12000 miles to wear away the offending parts.

I think I'd have preferred it if it was fixed by a competent dealer but that doesn't seem to have been an option.

Lets just hope it stays silent

Well , amazingly mine now seems to have fixed itself.

For the last two days it's been totally silent no matter how I drive over the speed humps.

It's now on 21k miles and the creaking started at about 9k , so whatever it was it's taken 12000 miles to wear away the offending parts.

I think I'd have preferred it if it was fixed by a competent dealer but that doesn't seem to have been an option.

Lets just hope it stays silent

Might the said components be moist with the weather? i'd see if it comes back when it dries up a little. Mine has stopped creaking too.

It's been driven in torrential rain where everything has been as wet as it's ever likely to get and still creaked , and it was parked under the car port this morning so it was pretty dry.

It's also always been much noiser on cold days so it's been quite a surprise to have silence in sub zero temperatures.

I'm not certain it won't return but for now it's nice to have a quiet car again.

Rear suspension on mine started creaking really badly the other day (dry) when I was driving around an area with a load of speed bumps. Left the car overnight, picked it up in the morning, drove over the same speed bumps, silent.

I had my suspension creaking looked at today, the Wishbone Bushes were lubed. They mentioned theres a tight tolerance on it and with the slight twisting movement it was rubbing.

We’ll see how it going, initial reports are good :)

Mine is still okay after the above, could it be that theres 2 issues, 1. dodgy steering racks, noticable with steering movement and 2. the issue I mentioned above (not too sure how good a fix is on mine but if it was only the wishbones lubed then I'd assume it ain't a steering rack issue).

I reckon it could be 2 separate issues. I had my steering rack replace after the fourth visit to the dealer (don't ask) due to 'creaky' steering. But I still have a slight creak now and again when going over the speed bumps... Seems to be silent today though.

i've covered 25k miles since last may in my octavia 2 combi tdi dsg and my suspension creaks over some bumps and i've also noticed spots of extra resistance in steering. especially when trying to turn wheel quickly. must book it in. i had a mk1 for 5 years and i think it was a better car in some respects. faintly disappointed with the new one.

Sorry but isn't this the sort of issue that Skoda should be dealing with? I mean rather than let us all go off to different dealers of varying quality with different ideas of what the problem is, shouldn't skoda themselves be trying to work out what is the definitive cause of this is?

It seems to be affecting more and more people to the extent that I'm not suprised of the recent post here that said (if my memory is correct) that 45% of Octavias? were having warranty work done. Is it worth writing a letter to Skoda about this issue with all those suffering from this problem signing (sort of like a petition) and saying that no one has had a proper fix. At least then they might have a representative view of how large this problem is (if they don't already). This is not a problem that should occur on a new car in my view.

Olly