Fabia VRS vs. the world

rico

most people on here drive same/similar cars anyway so they know what the car is capable of, therfore we will know your lieing when you say u nailed a ferrari 355!

Indeed I also wonder about some peoples claims that xxxx car wasn't as fast as my xxxx car because I drove my boss'/mates/hire etc etc, I'm guessing that they hope none of us have driven said car as in a lot of cases they clearly haven't either, there's one in particular in this thread that I actually own 4 of said vehicle and their description of said car is most certainly rubbish!

[OT]

Sorry, but it's definitely the other way around: X Type is a Mondeo in a posh suit, and no better - hence the whole "we can't launch it as FWD 'cos there's never been a FWD Jag, we can't make the Mondeo floorpan RWD as it's too expensive, therefore we'll have to make it 4WD to start with and sneak in the FWD versions when no-one's looking" thing. The only good thing about it is the marketing - it's a very clever way of tricking Americans who want to downsize from their Caddy barges into thinking they're buying a foreign car...

God, I hate X Types! Now that Rover's gone, they're the last vestige of the "sod it, this'll do" attitude of the 'British' car industry :rant:

IMO![/OT]

Actually it was quite some time after the launch of the X-type that they released the 4wd version, in fact when we bough our X-type sport diesel you couldn't buy a 4wd X-type, Jag had no problem with front wheel drive, it was diesel engines they most worried about!

I bought a Mondeo, but just to make myself look silly you simply cannot beat the service you get from a jag dealer, 3 year unlimed milage warranty (extendable to 5 years for £500) and they literaly cover everything no quibbles. So if your after a mondeo but dont mind it coming with a smaller boot, less room in the back and a tarts handbag you could do a lot worse than an X-type.

Plus the 318/320i is the standard rep car now - and Furbie vRS munches them.

S******, no it wouldn't.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same story, still wouldn't.

A 318i (130bhp) 0-60 in 10secs - remapped Fabia around 2 seconds quicker.

320i (150bhp) 0-60 in 9secs - remapped Fabia around 1 second quicker.

Now please, please. Be quiet.

Let it be put to rest now...

Same story, still wouldn't.

I have been trying to keep out of this thread as it's totallty pointless.

I do however like the opportunity to point out when someone is wrong (It's the insecurity I seem to have along with all the all the other Fabia VRS owners:rolleyes: ) .

S****** - You Sir are wronger than a person who has just got a question wrong in a contest about being wrong.

Currently the pokiest standard 320 BMW is the 320si which with a reasonable 170bhp 140vmax and a 7.8 secs 0-60. In the real world the story is the same and yes I very much do get a kick out pushing them out of the way on the M4 on a daily basis. I get even more of a kick out of it when one tries to keep up after I have passed it :P

I was hoping I would not get any this threads benality on me but it seems to have just splashed my boots and now I damned along with the rest of to be involved in this stupid phalanx measuring contest.

It's a car, not a lifestyle attachement. Lets all get over this, accept it all for what it is and close this thread.

Im with Rico on this one im affraid.

It appears some vrs owners claim the 0-60 time is less than published. "my VRS is much faster than 9.5,

So would this then be the case for other vw/group cars like the 130 golfs, which would make sense if these claims were plausable.

Also, comments like the 150PD TDI is no quicker than the VRS's 130 as it has a larger turbo, now, i happen to have bought a 150PD TDI seat, which in my opinion is much quicker than the VRS we owned.

So, playing devils advocate, i would ask is the 130vrs any quicker than say a 115 or 110 golf?

I mean to be honest, of all the cars ive owned in the last 10 years, ive never seen an online forum where claims like the above are made.

Well, after taking one for a test drive yesterday (and putting a deposit down on it :) ) it felt 'brisk' compared to my BMW 318iS. Not fast (I've been in M3's and Scoobies that I do consider fast) but brisk......

The rev range is limited which probalby highlighted the fact I'm used to driving N/A petrols with no torque at low rpms.

The funny thing is I've owned cars I consider to be 'quick'.....not supercars but quick, nippy things, and then I've had a pop against what I considered to be average diesels and been surprised at how much I struggled against them.

My Honda CRX (MKII 130bhp thingy) I thought was quick and at 7,200 rpm it felt it, but against my missus driving my company 306 HDi I struggled to keep up unless I absolutely pasted it.

That's the joy of the Furby vRS. It's not out and out 'fast' but the more than adequated levels of performance in standard guise come without fuss and without the usual associated cost of fuel and insurance.

The people that claim they could beat a 535i in one.....well.....perhaps the 535i petrol if you catch the middle aged bugger behind the wheel off guard and in the wrong gear then yes you will gain some ground. But, if he drops it a couple of cogs/ flicks it into sport mode (which most that age wont do) then it's a different story. I was witness to a 535i racing a Chavalier Turbo and that was frightening. Both were off like hell.

The trouble isn't the fact that the vRS Fabia isn't either fast or slow, it's the lack or realism in peoples comments. Let's get things into perspective here. It depends strongly on what you've driven before as to how you base you comments.

It's a 'warm' hatch. It didn't beat the Cooper S round a track, just the normal 115bhp Cooper.

I'm under no illusions when I collect my vRS next week to go racing Supras or high powered Beemers. But one thing that I am clear on is that dual carriageway jaunts will be less embarassing as I wont have to drop it several cogs and thrash the nuts off a puny high revving 4 pot in order to make the d*ck in the 4x4 behind me realise being up by jacksy was a silly thing to do.

The Fabia vRS is a winning combination of frugality and decent performance for the money and fills a much needed gap in the market. There's no such thing as a free lunch....you want a tarmac shredder? Buy a Supra TT and stomach 10mpg.

A 318i (130bhp) 0-60 in 10secs - remapped Fabia around 2 seconds quicker.

320i (150bhp) 0-60 in 9secs - remapped Fabia around 1 second quicker.

Now please, please. Be quiet.

Let it be put to rest now...

It's only fair to compare like for like really, so compare a re-mapped fabia to a re-mapped BMW, but there are NO official figures for a re-mapped Fabia, so your supposed 1.5 second quicker 0-60 has no value as it's most likely not true.

I still believe a standard BMW would beat a re-mapped Fabia anyway, remember, whilst your constantly losing time swapping gears in your low revving diesel, the petrol BMW's would be making ground on you.

That's not even taking corners into account either, hit anything remotely twisty and the fabia would be left way behind by the BMW's superb RWD chassis.

Thats my opinion anyway, having driven both cars. you dont have to agree with it.

It's only fair to compare like for like really, so compare a re-mapped fabia to a re-mapped BMW, but there are NO official figures for a re-mapped Fabia, so your supposed 1.5 second quicker 0-60 has no value as it's most likely not true.

I still believe a standard BMW would beat a re-mapped Fabia anyway, remember, whilst your constantly losing time swapping gears in your low revving diesel, the petrol BMW's would be making ground on you.

That's not even taking corners into account either, hit anything remotely twisty and the fabia would be left way behind by the BMW's superb RWD chassis.

Thats my opinion anyway, having driven both cars. you dont have to agree with it.

I won't. Apart from the like for like part...

But that was never the question. I just happened to say a remapped fabia would beat a 320 or 318, thats it (oh, and it will :thumbup:). You were the one who said it wouldnt, and restarted this thread...

hth

Strangely I'm so bored I'm finding myself answering yet another thread on this ;)

Just enjoy whatever car you've got, some days perhaps you may find you 'beat' a car, other days you don't beat the same car due to whatever reason. It could be the other car is faster, it could be the other driver has more/less sense to race on the public road, it could be conditions change.

Only typing this up as I'm bored :P - I had a very enjoyable drive into work this morning, at reasonable speeds (IMHO :o ) and without having anyone cut me up, with lorries actually indicating/being let in/going back into their own lane, without anyone having their fogs on unnecessarily, and without traffic jams.

That's quite rare, and I would have enjoyed that in my **insert car here** car.

I went past some people, some people went past me. I beat a vehicle with a bigger engine than mine, and one with a smaller one :P That said lorries and motorbikes are so different you can't compare them in the same way.

There is the never-ending petrol vs diesel stuff. Both have their own strengths and weaknesses. Yes torque/power are great. Both are BS without having it at the wheels though, and guess what, the torque converter aka gearbox has an impact.. Then there is the modern petrol vs old petrol vs with/without turbo 'against' the old diesel vs new diesel with/without turbo. It won't end!

Modern diesels are going to get more crippled and made more complex by environmental demands/laws. Ditto for petrol. Who knows what will work best in the end?

My car has been from totally standard to a bit faster, to broken, and it is now developing back to a bit faster/quite a bit faster. My enjoyment comes out of having the ability to have good fuel economy and the occasional 'blat', I used to enjoy a more revving car, and I would recommend a petrol any day for short distances. I have not driven the new petrol vRS, but based comments I reckon the torque on that engine is excellent over a very good range too.

All in all - you're competing against 'yourself' on the road. For a proper race, there is always the track/airfield ;)

I won't. Apart from the like for like part...

But that was never the question. I just happened to say a remapped fabia would beat a 320 or 318, thats it (oh, and it will :thumbup:). You were the one who said it wouldnt, and restarted this thread...

hth

Owned them both (E36 320i 6cyl 24v 150bhp - OBD I chipped to about 155bhp and E36 318iS 4cyl 16v 140bhp - also OBD I chipped to about 148bhp) and both would be left by the standard vRS I tested on Saturday up to about 80 as they don't have anywhere near enough torque to pull the lardy E36 from a standstill. The 1.8iS isn't that quick after 80 and so would still be left behind by the Fabia full stop, but the 320i comes alive at higher speeds/ revs and so would start to gain ground and possibly pass the Fabia then, but we're talking 100mph plus.

The 325i (possibly 323i) and above are what's required for decent performance rather than just posing ability. Most rep mobiles aren't 325i's due to budget constraints and so would have a very hard time with the Fabia.

This is what I'm looking forward to next week as for me it will feel like a noticable upgrade.

Owned them both (E36 320i 6cyl 24v 150bhp - OBD I chipped to about 155bhp and E36 318iS 4cyl 16v 140bhp - also OBD I chipped to about 148bhp) and both would be left by the standard vRS I tested on Saturday up to about 80 as they don't have anywhere near enough torque to pull the lardy E36 from a standstill. The 1.8iS isn't that quick after 80 and so would still be left behind by the Fabia full stop, but the 320i comes alive at higher speeds/ revs and so would start to gain ground and possibly pass the Fabia then, but we're talking 100mph plus.

The 325i (possibly 323i) and above are what's required for decent performance rather than just posing ability. Most rep mobiles aren't 325i's due to budget constraints and so would have a very hard time with the Fabia.

This is what I'm looking forward to next week as for me it will feel like a noticable upgrade.

Someone talking fromexperience and with a little sense... Thankyou...!

Get it remapped it turns into quite a competant little straight-line car. Very stealth too!

Sadly I am experienced in BMW ownership....bloody moneypits the lot of em. :)

Got rid of the 320i as I was only getting 27mpg driving miss Daisy, and got the iS as the performance is not that dis-similar up to normal speeds but the mpg is noticably better. Sadly neither are what I'd call reliable.

I'd love to have a go in a remapped vRS. The standard one is pretty good but I bet the remapped versions have savage torque. :)

Its funny as a non VRs owner that people think that beating a 320 BM is a significant scalp. Please stop this its really putting me off the VRs surely its not that slow!

Moderators where on earth are you surely this thread should be stopped and removed now.

tbh i would never had thought out of all the crappy forums iv been a member of, the skoda forum would be full of gits!

Note not everyone is a git, but there are a lot in here, i reccomend u buy a corsa and join there forum!

People dont have to read threads they dont like, so if you dont like reading this thread then bugger off to another one!

It hasn't degenerated into name calling or anything (yet) so I dont see what the problem is?

Anyway, I am right, as I said before I have driven all the vehicles i'm talking about and the Fabia gives the illusion it's much faster than it actually is due to the torque, but you find out exactly how fast it isn't when you get left behind by cars that don't have any sporting pretensions.

Just because you overtook a certain car doesn't mean your car is faster, it just means the other driver probably isn't interested in a race which would be 99.9% of all other drivers on the road, I seem to find that Fabia VRs drivers think they have beaten something just because they went past it on the motorway? get out onto a race track, then see what you can beat in your Fabia, not much really unless you count marginally beating a shopping trolley Mini?

Please dont think i'm slagging of the Fabia BTW, it is a great little car for what it is, but it isn't a sports car, nor even a hot hatch. its a diesel engined run around with sporty(ish) styling and suspension.

People dont have to read threads they dont like, so if you dont like reading this thread then bugger off to another one!

It hasn't degenerated into name calling or anything (yet) so I dont see what the problem is?

He raises a good point, personally I find these threads interesting. :)