DaveU's new runabout

DaveU

Well - I sold the Explorer on Monday and on Tuesday picked up my first new car for a good couple of years now, a brand spanking Mercedes-Benz CLS 320 :D

I was a bit surprised at how mean they are with the spec of the cars - everything is an extra so I had to add on pretty much everything, which i did! It's got full leather, big alloys, heated memory seats, MB-COMAND system with DVD sat-nav, DVD player, MP3 player + changer, parking sensors, bluetooth integration etc etc and of course an AMG spoiler :D

The Mercedes 3.0 v6 turbo diesel engine is an absolutely superb bit of engineering with 220bhp and 520nm of torque - it goes 0-60 in 7 secs, 155 mph, does 38mpg (48 on the motorway) and is silent - you cannot hear it! I am so pleased with it I can't even begin to describe it!

It has loads of neat things like auto lights, auto windscreen wipers, flashing + autofolding + tilting ears, auto-dimming rearview mirror that you just dont have to do anything! You just stick the automatic gearbox (which has 7 gears btw) into drive and off you go. It blows away the S-Type V8 and the E38 BMW 740 sport i had without a doubt.

Oh another thing it comes with is 30 years MB Motobility - a roadside assist type thing which is free as long as you get the car serviced by MB. Basically if you get a flat tyre or break down or even run out of petrol (oops - diesel!), you just call this number from anywhere is Europe and a man in a van turns up and changes your tyre or puts some diesel in or whatever you need. Excellent eh?

I compared it against a few cars before i bought it:

Audi Q7 3.0 TDI S-Line. Nice spec, strong residuals, but a bit like driving a bus and deal not good enough.

BMW 530d M-Sport. Fast! Good deals, but anonymous car, noisy diesel and everyone's got one therefore poor 2 year values

BMW 730d Sport. mmm lovely but financial suicide to buy new and i didn't want a used one.

So that's it - i've turned to the dark side and bought a diesel. I never thought it would happen but it did and i'm happy with it! almost 50mpg and the performance and refinement to go with it? What's not to like! I've joined the MB forums but i'm not going anywhere as i've still got the Beast.

I'll post some more pics after the weekend after i've cleaned it :thumbup:

15541.attach

Pfew, I'm sooo relieved we got my car towed to the garage with the explorer, and not that one ;)

Seriously, that is a very nice looking car (if you're into pipe and slippers), and I'm looking forward to a leisurely cruise in it one day :thumbup:

PS. I thought you had your mind firmly set on a H2/H3?

Glad you like your new motor.

Are you going to MB dealer or independant for service ?

I only ask as SWMBO's Smart has been serviced at MB dealers, and they are not cheap, for parts or labour.( so Smart goes indy for service now.)

The bulid quality still okay? :rolleyes: Seriously, nice car you lucky blighter :cool:

I'm guessing Dave will have his chauffer take it to MB. :rofl:

Looks stunning, awesome cars these, so much presence on the road.

Dare we ask what it cost?

Very nice.

Nice car Dave, I have always liked the shape of the CLS. So when is the remap then?. LOL.

I can't believe it took this thread 10 posts before some one mentioned the slippery slope :rofl:

Hmm, just wondering what kind of slippery slopes are available with a CLS :rubchin: :rofl:

Very nice.

I can't believe it took this thread 10 posts before some one mentioned the slippery slope :rofl:

Hmm, just wondering what kind of slippery slopes are available with a CLS :rubchin: :rofl:

I'd say Dave needs to keep it standard....doesn't want another car stuck on his drive. ;):rofl:

Thanks for the comments :)

It was quite pricey but it was a bit of a treat, also i do plan to actually keep it for a whole 2 years rather than sell it after 3 months like the disasterous S-Type a got a few years ago!

Apparently diesels are quite tunable just a basic remap will up power from 230hp to 280hp and 520nm to 660nm of torque mmmmmm I've looked at the Brabus stuff but it is waaay over priced (

Thats a lovely car , I really like the shape of the CLS , something about those rear doors and their tiny glass area that really gets my attention! Ive saw them in Black and Silver so far and would probably edge towards the Silver for mine...lol. Actually , I've just ordered a brochure for the new C Class , I dont know if that means I'm getting older , or Mercedes-Benz are targeting younger drivers with their newer cars!...lol!

Hey Dave, Lovely motor...best of luck with it.

A friend of the family has a CLS 350, they are a stunning car, the noise of it. Its a serious contender for use at my wedding :D .....I'll have to tell him now.

Brilliant handling and better steering than an SL.

The 320 CDI is an absoute gem, whether it is a C320 or ML320 it always pulls like a train - and very smooth in the CLS/E/S-Class.

Beautifully made aswell, the interior its truly bespoke feeling.

What wood finish did you opt for Dave?