MK2 Golf Turbo, an update.

Tech1e

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've heard those are actually not too bad a tyre.

Probably a good deal better than what was available when the golf MK II was a new car.

But when the Golf MK II was a new car it didn't have a 250*bhp Audi Turbo engine in it!

*at least!!

Seriously, the single most important thing to getting the power down onto the road is your tyres, all the diffs and boost controlers in the world wont help if you have no grip, after spending all the money/time/effort in doing the car right, dont scrimp on the tyres, you'll regret it!

I speak from experience, my supercharged SD1 just sits on the spot smoking the tyres if I have unbranded things like that on!

We shall see how they get on, I've had a set before now on the Rover (which had a limited slip diff in it) and they were pretty good (darn site better than the Yoko A539's I had on he Polo.

This is the size I was after though but for some reason only Nankang make them, and I know grip is paramount but if your not throwing max boost at it and drive is going out through the wheel that has grip anyhow it will help.

Anyhow its a way off until its on the road and i'll probably change my mind plenty of times before its done....lol

EDIT: Had asked what size they were, but reckon I can make out they're 195/45/15s from the higher quality pics...

Camskill seem to have a fairly decent range, inc some Proxes 4 for example:

Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - R15" - 195/45/15, 195/45 R 15 -

Worth knowing for next time :thumbup:

Steve

EDIT: Had asked what size they were, but reckon I can make out they're 195/45/15s from the higher quality pics...

Camskill seem to have a fairly decent range, inc some Proxes 4 for example:

Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - R15" - 195/45/15, 195/45 R 15 -

Worth knowing for next time :thumbup:

Steve

185/45 15 is what I was after, slightly lower profile and a better look as they are quite a narrow rim. I may well end up getting another set for day to day driving, we shalll see.

Incidentially, are they G60 arches..? 185 rubber, 15" rim and a VR6 wide track...?

Toight like a toiger.

G60 arches, 185 rubber, 15" rims, VR6 wide track, H+R/Bilstein coil overs, powerflex bushes, Neuspeed anti roll bars, adjustable top mounts, seam welded body and roll cage.

Deffo toight like a toiger.

• 3 weeks later...

Few more parts have turned up, most exciting being this....

100_0670.jpg

100_0671.jpg

Also the following..

Autogauge boost gauge

Short shift gear lever

MK4 Golf shift cable set up

Mk4 Golf 02J gearbox

G60 flywheel

VR6 clutch

Octavia hydraulic clutch pipe set up

Few other essentials, also has gone to the bodyshop, yay!

Few more parts have turned up, most exciting being this....

100_0670.jpg

100_0671.jpg

Also the following..

Autogauge boost gauge

Short shift gear lever

MK4 Golf shift cable set up

Mk4 Golf 02J gearbox

G60 flywheel

VR6 clutch

Octavia hydraulic clutch pipe set up

Few other essentials, also has gone to the bodyshop, yay!

cool......... whats it do / wha is it?

I have been solidering on with the project today. Car has made its way around to the bodyshop (yay) and I stripped the gearbox down. The gearbox is an 02J from a MK4 GTi Golf, supplied by Bengie (thanks buddy) it I think is of unknown mileage and use so a full strip was in order to check everything plus fit the ATB diff. Glad to say all gears and syncros look just fine with very little wear an any components, even the reverse idler is in perfect condition. I have got a full set of bearings to put in, makes sense while its all apart. Casings have been stripped bare and masked up good and propper so they can be blasted clean.

DSC00973.jpg

DSC00974.jpg

DSC00975.jpg

DSC00976.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Still waiting for the car to get into the bodyshop, getting a little annoyed now.

Still waiting for my gearboxes casing to come back from bead blasting

Wait Wait Wait.

Still at least my extra cooling fan turned up, so that can now go on the radiator.

100_0736.jpg

Ordered some fittings from Demon Tweeks along with one of these..

MSD63730.jpg

And (on the right)

PEG1290.jpg

Just have to WAIT for them now.

Thanks mate, it helped loads.

I have the gearbox back now ready to rebuild. Well happy with how it came out. Not going to paint it, just lacquer it.

DSC01138.jpg

DSC01139.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

Also got my Renault 16v wheels blasted, going to paint these and use them on the Passat.

DSC01141.jpg

DSC01142.jpg

DSC01143.jpg

Built up my quickshift, inc bead blasted bracket/housing, looks a bit nicer now, going to be on show inside the car with cables routed inside.

Gearlever.jpg

Also had the driveshafts shot blasted, being painted now so I can build them up with new boots, another thing ticked off the list.