2008 Nurburgring Trip

devonutopia

Well, I've taken it upon myself to start thinking about organising a dedicated trip to the Nurburgring in 2008. The dates will be confirmed once the Ring's 2008 opening times are published, but assume for now it will be a weekend in May, probably end of hopefully. The logistics are fairly simple

1) Friday morning, quite early (but not 2am ;) more like 7 or 8am) we meet at Dover and get a ferry to Dunkerque. Hopefully arriving in France after the rush hour has subsided.

2) Short (for what I'm used to) stint from Dunkerque to the Ring - Approx 250/260 miles. Hopefully arriving there shortly after lunchtime, or early afternoon.

3) Check into the Heilbachsee Center Parcs. Cost will be roughly £50 per person for three nights self catering, based on 8 people sharing an 8 berth cabin. Ultimately it will only be for sleeping, so expect no luxuries.

4) Friday afternoon/eveing - head up to the Ring (about 10 minutes drive (ish :D) from the Center Parcs) and get in a couple of laps - and buy the lap tickets for the weekend

5) Saturday and Sunday? Well, use your imagination. ;) I'll organise a spot of coarse fishing, golf, hiking and yodeling. :rolleyes: Evenings will probably be spent in the center parcs bar drinking "grosses Becks" ;):drunk:

6) Monday morning, relaxed start. And drive back home. :)

Rough costs for the trip?

£50 accommodation

£45 ferry

£30 each for food

£50 for beers.... (ok, £100 :rolleyes: )

Fuel? Well, that depends? :P For me it will probably be 3 tanks. One getting there, one getting back, and one doing a few laps. ;)

My role will be, closer to the time, to take people's money off them for the accommodation at Center Parcs. I'll obviously book and pay for the cabin/s nearer the time. For now, I've only priced up an 8 berth cabin at the end of May and it said 539 euros, which roughly works out at £50 each for 3 nights (not bad really :D)

Food is plentiful on site, and decent too. Likely to be a fend for yourself affair - no food will be organised or booked. Car parking is plentiful although only 2 cars are allowed by the cabins. There's a massive communal carpark (no real security issues - very quiet area)

Oh, and I'm also limiting numbers to 24 people - that's people, not cars! I don't fancy this being a huge marathon, and three cabins full is enough I reckon. :thumbup:

Guess I'm #1. :cool: Should be a good value weekend I reckon.

1) Jason

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not after true commitment yet. :) Especially as no dates are set yet, but it would be nice to mull over things, then when I can get a good date (finding out German term times to work around as well ;)) I will stick a new thread up with post #1 and more details. :D

i maybe interested, any recommendations for insurance whilst using the ring?

Personally, I don't bother. It's not a racetrack, so shouldn't be driven like one. Run-offs are limited, there's lots to hit, and when you do hit stuff they make you pay through the nose for barrier repairs, recovery, etc. Even a little scrape could end up (without car repairs) costing more than the whole trip itself.

I won't be timing any laps myself, or at least if I do I won't be letting it affect my driving. :)

its not me im worried about, its the other idiots on the track ;)

They should pay for damages, or be insured to repair your car. Respect is shown by 99% of Ring drivers (judging by my last trip) and as long as you get out the way of faster machinery (especially bikes) everyone's OK.

1) Jason

2) PostmanPat (work allowing/date dependant)

3) AndyG_1979 +1 (also depending on date)

4) Cheezemonkhai Maybe +1 (also depending on date)

5) Robbo6210 (Also depending on date)

6) ric04vrs (don't care what date, i'm easy)

there maybe a possibility of a Spa Francochamps track day being on very near to the end of May , it was this year , thats well worth the visit , and its just off the main road on the way back from the Ring

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Jason

7) W-TRON Hows that for a slice of fried gold!

there maybe a possibility of a Spa Francochamps track day being on very near to the end of May , it was this year , thats well worth the visit , and its just off the main road on the way back from the Ring

1) Jason

8) Blade404 +1 maybe.. (dependant on date)

1) Jason

9) sms -date dependant

1) Jason

9) sms -date dependant

10) Babs + 1

1) Jason

9) sms -date dependant

10) Babs + 1

11) Mater & SWMBO (Work & Date Dependant No ferry required i live in Germany so will meet up at Centre Parcs)

I take it anyone wanting to come from further north (not sure myself at the mo) could find their own way to the continent using a different ferry, rather than driving the length of the country to get to Dover ?