Fuel Prices

daz51

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time ever I paid over £1 a litre. 101.9 ppl. :( I'm just glad my earnings can meet the increasing price of fuel but it's something I would like to calm down. Volatile oil market isn't helping matters mind.

:eek:I've still not had to pay over £1/litre but it's only a matter of time. It was 97.9p/litre at my local shell today.

I'm going to need a pay rise if it keeps increasing like it has. Saying that though the rise hasn't been as dramatic at the forecourt pumps as it has been buying in bulk, I buy the diesel for the company and we've seen prices rocket from 77.4p/litre at the end of august to 85.2p/litre a few days ago, I've even been doubling the amount we normally buy to push the price down:thumbdwn:

The fire at the petroplus refinery probably isn't going to help either

Even Canada seeing increases then - remember it was high 70s per litre of u/leaded when I was last over in Vancouver - summer 2005.

Still hanging onto double figures here, just - and I'm making the most of it. 50l in yesterday at 98.9p.

Steve

I've noticed that over the past month , prices have jumped significantly.

There was obviously a 2p a litre rise in duty but many garages have put prices up far in excess of this.

As an example , one was charging 97.9p before the duty change.

It went up to 101.9 immediately , then 102.9 and is currently 105.9!

That's an 8p rise , just 2p of which is tax. The rest is either extra profit or caused by the higher oil prices.

As I've said before , £1 a litre is a very important psychological price point and now that's been broken we'll see quite a large rise in a short time.

As for those that want a huge drop in the 67p tax , what do you think is a fair level , and what should the government do about the several billions a year less revenue? Tax something else or cut spending? And don't forget that the conservatives have stated that they will increase duty significantly in excess of inflation so fuel will get a lot more expensive.

Yes there is too much tax on petrol and yes the tax take in general is too high.

Personally I'd like to see far greater transparency in where tax is taken, how much is collected and where it is spent. Ideally with the majority of tax on certain things, e.g. petrol, spent in certain ways, e.g transport, sustainable infrastructure and energy resources.

Why bring up the conservatives? No-one has attacked new labour yet :rofl: Are you TB in disguise?

My thoughts on fuel prices

Before I bought my Fabia VRS:

Unleaded going up, diesel seems a steady price, think I will consider gettign a diesel.

After I bought the Fabia VRS:

Blooming heck diesel keeps going up and unleaded seems stable.

The prices are shocking and here is a few garages in my area only about 0.5 miles from each other in each direction all based on diesel prices

Tesco:99.9

Morrisons:97.9

Shell: 97.9

Gulf:101.9

You can guess which ones I will be using.

Mind you the local tesco has been losing a lot of custom with the prices normally the garage is teeming with cars at 4.30pm, two cars were using it last night. I'm glad I bought diesel now even through it is more pricy, I love going to the pumps every two to three weeks compared to every week when I had my petrol focus.

David

Tesco Abingdon is about 1 or 2 pence more expensive for regular, super and diesel than Tesco Cowley and they're only about 7 miles along on the A34. Not that I use either (dirty regular UL for me), but super is something daft like 102.9ppl in Abingdon and diesel 103.9ppl :thumbdwn:

New Morrisons in Dundee is selling unleaded (95) at 91.9 for now (introductory offer).

Quite a wide range of prices for the rest from 93.9-99.9 for 95RON.

Super is always about 102.9.

Diesel has been steadily rising by 1p each week at the local Tesco lately so I best fill up tonight before it goes up to 102.9p. Every little helps! I guess it's ok if you spend £50 on your shop and can get 5p a litre off but that's a false economy for me :rofl:

Chris

Fuel just went up 5c here - 97.5RON (!!) is now $1.75 - about 65p a litre

Everyone thinks it's really expensive.

Then again the average household income here is about $60k (about GBP22k) so I suppose it is expensive!

Is diesel still about $1.20?

I would prefer them not to spent my tax on people who won't get a job and people who've just arrived in this country on a floating door...

Here! Here! £1.04 i paid last night!!! :eek::mad::finger: Blinking ridiculous if you ask me! Why is it other countries seem to not get shafted as much as us????

Prices are now verging on the ridiculous now, my local BP garage is now 103.9p per litre which is shocking since the Morrisons 5 minutes away is 96.9p.

What makes it worse that only 1 week ago the BP garage was 95.9p so they have seen fit to put it up by 8p - rip off or what. I was quite happy paying in the region of 95p but now things are getting out of hand, all over the country.

Surely there must be something the petrol/diesel buying public can do about the recent large increases. I guess we can't blame the oil company's as about 50% of the problem is down to Mr Brown (:finger:) .

So what's the solution?