why people wear a poppy...

octav.ed

Why wear a Poppy?"

"Please wear a Poppy", the lady said,

And held one forth, but I shook my head,

Then I stopped and watched as she offered them there,

And her face was old and lined with care;

But beneath the scars the years had made

There remained a smile that refused to fade.

A boy came whistling down the street.

Bouncing along on care-free feet.

His smile was full of joy and fun,

"Lady" said he, "may I have one?"

When she'd pinned it on, he turned to say:

"Why do we wear a Poppy to-day?"

The lady smiled in her wistful way

And answered: "This is Remembrance Day",

"And the Poppy there is a symbol for

The gallant men who died in the war".

"And because they did, you and I are free

That's why we wear a Poppy you see".

I had a boy about your size,

With golden hair and big blue eyes.

"He loved to play and jump and shout.

Free as a bird, he would race about.

As the years went by, he learned and grew,

And became a man-as you will, too".

"He was fine and strong, with a boyish smile.

But he'd seemed with us such a little while

When war broke out and he went away.

I still remember his face that day.

When he smiled at me and said good-bye.

I'll be back soon, Mum, so please don't cry"

But the war went on and he had to stay,

And all I could do was wait and pray.

"His letters told of the awful fight

(I can see it still in my dreams at night)

With the tanks and guns and the cruel barbed wire,

And the mines and bullets, the bombs and the fire".

"Till at last, at last, the war was won -

And that's why we wear a Poppy, son".

The small boy turned as if to go.

Then said: "Thanks, lady I'm glad to know.

"That sure did sound like an awful fight.

But your son - did he come back alright?"

A tear rolled down each faded cheek;

She shook her head, but didn't speak.

I slunk away In a sort of shame.

And if you were me, you'd have done the same;

For our thanks, in giving, is oft delayed,

Though our freedom was bought - and thousands paid;

And so, when we see a Poppy worn,

Let us reflect on the burden borne

By those who gave their very all

When asked to answer their country's call

That we at home in peace might live.

Then wear a Poppy! Remember - and give!

we will remember them...

the poppy is much respected in Canada too, although they call them "Flanders Poppies" (which of course is correct) and Monday is a national holiday.

Mark

I always wear more than one - just my way of paying my respects to the people who did so much for us.

One on my Suit Jacket, One on my Overcoat and another for my jumper/ top when i'm not at work/in my suit.

Also (on a personal note) my Uncle Ray was a Paratrooper and was at Dunkirk so it holds personal memories too

Steve

Fantastic poem, I have goosebumps and tears in my eyes. Will be picking up a poppy at some point, they usually have them in reception every year.

I remember seeing a little boat once in a museum - the smallest boat that went to dunkirk to pick up the soldiers. I was transfixed by it for some reason, just a little 2 man row boat. I thought of it when we made the Dover - Dunkirk crossing on the way to and from Prague....

Yep, ditto all that's been said.

I too always buy and wear a poppy this tme of year.

It's the least we can do to support those who fought for this country.

There's a song called 'The green fields of france' which says it all really. If you get time, google it and have a good listen to the words. Although written by an Aussie/Scot, it sounds much better sung by one of the Irish bands like the Dubliners.

Although not British I hope I'm permitted to say that I find the poppy a beautiful tradition. Especially since it commemorates the endurance and suffering of the common soldier and the civilian (including women and children) rather than the "war heroes" - kings and generals. If you recall the tragedy of the battle of the Somme I think one is right to say that it wasn't a credit to generals Haig or Joffre. But if the sacrifices made by the soldiers and officers has helped preventing such stupidities to be repeated then we definitely owe them our deepest respect.

i wear mine over here in Dublin.....often get sneery looks b ut not as much as i used to get. theres been alot of press over the last few years about how many southern irish soldiers died, but many still see it as being overly british and therefore up for abuse! :(

k:)

I bought one from a friend who works somewhere where they actually sell them. I've heard tell of "white poppies", being poppies for peace, but can't say I've seen either around here.

I wonder if people do recognise that the funding is to help current soldiers and families also?

One problem I see is that wearing a poppy suggests an agreement to an underlying war. I donate, but don't wear my poppy.

Mo

My dad nearly died at the weekend, thankfully somehow hes fighting back, I dug out his book as he calls it, his brief story of being a Prisoner of war. What they went through for us I still cant believe. He was forced to work in clay pits, down a coal mine, He walked from Poland to Germany in mid winter ahead of the Allies with virtually no food, 835 Km in 10 weeks

We must never forget, We just dont know how lucky we are

I bought one from a friend who works somewhere where they actually sell them. I've heard tell of "white poppies", being poppies for peace, but can't say I've seen either around here.

I wonder if people do recognise that the funding is to help current soldiers and families also?

One problem I see is that wearing a poppy suggests an agreement to an underlying war. I donate, but don't wear my poppy.

Mo

Wearing a poppy is not supporting war. The poppy commemorates the sacrifice of those thousands who didn't live to come home. Those who never left foreign fields.

J.

Granddad was in WW2 in the Navy, and rescued people from Dunkirk.

He never mentioned the war when we were kids, but at his funeral I learned how he defied orders, and with 10 others, turned their acquired fishing boats around and went back for another trip.

Only 3 boats returned, but thanks to GD and his friends so did another 50 allied troops. One day I'll get the medal he got.

Thanks to millions like him and almost certainly your grandparents, we enjoy freedom now and continue to do so thanks to military personnel since.

Wear your poppy with pride!

Hi vindaloo. I do understand the point you make, though I'm not sure it's recognised by a generation who have always lived in a free country. How often do you hear "It's a free country isn't it?" As if that were a natural phenomenon rather than something that so many lost their lives to retain. That the day is typically described as "Poppy Day" rather than "Remembrance Day" probably doesn't help much.

I am happy to support soldiers and their families and particularly to remember that during conscription years, men had no choice as to whether they risked their lives or not. Today, our returning soldiers, it seems from news reports, are treated little better than Vietnam veterans - and that war was a long, long time ago. It's slightly hypocritical to me that politicians stand at the Cenotaph wearing a poppy as if that made everything OK.

I support some wars in principle and others not as so many soldiers and civillians die "for the greater good" as perceived by someone else sitting in a comfy chair elsewhere. As an earlier poster said, people who are 100% behind them LOL. Surely the first world war (in retrospect) showed how many lives were lost needlessly, followed by the second, and with some current engagements, have we not learned anything from history? If all of that is put right by wearing a poppy, fine, otherwise, I'm happier just to put my money where my mouth is.

Sorry, that's turned into a bit of a rant.

Hi gadgetman. Being older than you, it's my dad's medals and green book etc from his service in WWII. It was a long time ago though, and, as I asked before, I wonder how many peeps realise that the Royal British Legion supports current soldiers/families also. A change of name might not go amiss IMO.

Regards

Mo

Wearing a Poppy is a way of showing respect.

Thousands of Men and Women have paid the ultimate price in the defence of our country and there are still many men and women who take that risk every day.

Wether or not you think current conflicts are right or wrong is insignificant on November 11th.

Went to America last year with American flag flying everywhere, and at the Shamu show at Seaworld (ok I admit to going to Florida) before the show started all those that served in the American Forces and their allies whereever and whenever, were asked to stand up where they were then applauded. Self being British stiff upper lip and all that ex RAF remained seated but joined the applause.

Does that happen over here? NO

I wear my poppy with pride to those who gave there lives so we might live ours.

Great poem...can someone help me down from this soapbox please?

Well, as it's Remembrance Day tomorrow, I will wear my poppy whilst out and about (as said earlier, I repurchased it from someone). It still doesn't change the fact that they don't seem to be available around here, so I guess not too many other peeps will be wearing them. Perhaps you will say that they should be (wearing them), whilst I still ask why they aren't available.

I wonder what displaying them in shops depends on - meaning how do they get them? For example, would a shopkeeper have to apply to get some; is every shop in a High Street offered some, which they accept or decline? If I'd thought on, I should have asked that question. I will do so later today and tomorrow.

It's very multicultural (happily I'm glad to say) in my bit of Sarff London. I do think that a lot will not have roots going back to 1945 and perhaps don't think it refers to them. IOW the signficance that some are here because of the freedom earned by others might escape them, and especially as some won't hold with our current actions.

However, that is speculation. I will ask the questions later. If anyone knows the official policy of how the RBL gets them into shops, please post. Please also post if they are, or are not, on sale in your area. Then we can compare notes later :thumbup:

Regards

Mo

Poppies used to be more popular in the US. Now you have to chase one down from the Vets of Foreign Wars.

I've got one in "Ziggy the Turbo's" dashboard vase year round!

Here's to your cherished veterans!!!! Cheers Mates!!! And may you never be forgotten!!!