MPG of the Fabia Vrs

I probably should work out what true mpg I'm getting, rather than relying on the overly optimistic dash computer. Infact, I'll fill up on the weekend and work it out and post. I've been not so vicarly this week, given the empty roads, so we'll see.

A true 40 isn't right. Without insulting your intellegence, I assume you've done the obvious checks?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, tyres are fine, shoudn't be the air filter since I've only done 13k, and I would have thought it would have opened up a bit by now if it was still "running in"?

Ah. Mine is a November 2005 '55' plate, so it's got the previous engine in it, not the much famed stutterer, the air filter has been changed every 10k and at 44k it's nicely run in [;)] but I'm pretty sure even my calculated mpg is not as low as that.

Have you raised this with your dealer?

Would you say you are a particularly enthusiastic driver, though? I can't say I ever hold my foot to the floor all the time, but I don't doubt that if I did drive really, really aggressively it would easily dip to 40 or so MPG...

My dad has a car with the same engine as yours in (an SE model) and easily achieves above 60MPG on long runs, and 50MPG+ on shorter ones.... so it isn't a universal BLT engine problem...

Yeah, tyres are fine, shoudn't be the air filter since I've only done 13k, and I would have thought it would have opened up a bit by now if it was still "running in"?

My opinion is totally un-qualified, but, I recently changed my air filter after only 10k miles, albeit on a 54 plate, having read a lot of people suggesting changing it every 10k despite manufacturers guidelines. I must admit old one was pretty grubby. New one £13 from halfrauds....... Incidently, I take it my 54 (jan 05) will have which of the two engine variations? :o

My opinion is totally un-qualified, but, I recently changed my air filter after only 10k miles, albeit on a 54 plate, having read a lot of people suggesting changing it every 10k despite manufacturers guidelines. I must admit old one was pretty grubby. New one £13 from halfrauds....... Incidently, I take it my 54 (jan 05) will have which of the two engine variations? :o

The old ASZ engine code, you will find it on your V5 anyway to confirm :thumbup:

ASZ all the way, none of this BLT hessitation rubbish:D

AASZ mine - 04.

None of your BLT here - but I am partial to Bacon Lettuce Tomato sarnies.

40 mpg short trips. 52 mpg over 360 miles travelling down South (brim to brim method) - 2 passengers, full boot, extra spare, more stuff on back seat - and we weren't hanging around.

The following 800 miles or so were on motorways and A roads - but virtually continuous journeys so the engine was warmed up - average was 48.4 mpg (brim to brim).

So, no complaints considering the 'fun factor' :thumbup:

As I've said before, the stutter is a non-issue for me - just drive around it, same as you would with any sort of "attribute" of the car.

I am an enthusiastic driver, but the past few weeks I've been driving very sedately.

I'll try and check the air-filter when I get chance, and I'll try and see if there are any codes stored

Well, over last weeks 373 miles, mostly overly enthusiastic 'oh-look-no-one-is-going-to-work-this-week-so-the-roads-are-empty' driving plus a few very early morning/late evening M25 dashes, I've got 48.8mpg. Which is an odd, if pleasant surprise. I thought it'd be less.

Suggest, Babs, that something is a miss with yours.

:edit:

When I got my air filter changed @10k, they [wasn't a Skoda dealer] showed me the old one - looked minging, and I don't do much in the way of start/stop town driving. Gets done every 10k now.

Over the past couple of days I've gone for a couple of economy runs.

21.5 miles per trip, I'd say that it was nice and varied (It's all single carriageway with a couple of 40 and 50mph speed limits, some flat, some downhill and some uphill). Going a maximum of 55mph, I've managed an indicated 67MPG (which I imagine is in fact anywhere between 60 and 64 in reality).

I've not been stuck behind everything either - I performed about 2 overtaking manoeuvres per journey...

Distance to empty tank says 600 miles, after having driven nigh on 100 already (used the vent method to fill up) :D

I find that the trick is to drive very, very gently when the engine is cold. Getting the MPG low when the engine is cold makes it very difficult to make it back up again, when the engine is warm. I find that if I can be on an average of 50MPG when the engine is at operating temperature, I find it tricky to get the readout below 50 by the end of the journey, even with slightly spirited driving styles...

Before SWMBO and I got married, I made two non-stop Manchester-to-Edinburgh round trips to drop off and pick up our cake with my aunt who was decorating it. I did the journeys in 3 3/4 hours each way (give or take) and both times ended with fumes in the tank by the time I got home. That's only 50mpg, but at an only-just-legal average speed for the overall journeys it's not that bad!

I managed to squeeze 40mpg out of my wife's 1.4 MPi the other month on our trip to Wales! :cool:

I'm still generally getting <300 a tank. I realise it's down to lots of short trips but it's starting to get annoying now. Went to Wales and back the other week and still only managed 350 to the tank.

Well last night our trip up north ended and this was out first chance to really drive the Fabia long distance.

On the way up to Inverness we were hitting 55mpg which is the most the car has done on a long distance and that included a stop at Pitlochery for 40 mins.

On the way to Aviemore we went via Loch Ness which involved driving around Inverness to get to Lochness which was stop start and even then we hit between 48-52 to the gallon when we came down to Aviemore.

Over the next day the car did a couple of wee short Jaunts from Boat of Garten to aviemore which still did not effect the fuel consumption.

Yestersday with the car just sitting on under half a tank the car pulled a remarkable 56mpg to the gallon including a stop at the Inlaws on route.

The Petrol light came on at 416 miles but I know there is prob another 30-40 miles left in the tank.

I've not had the car that long and for it's first run up north I'm very impressed and I can't complain, I've got another couple of jaunts to do at the weekend up to Kinross way there and back and back again later in the evening so wonder what it will do next time??

Friends who we were with at the weekend are impressed by the look of the car and the performance, I was a passenger in my Youth Leaders Felicia on Saturday and even that is quite a nice car as well.

Davy

.....all that way and you never went to Ullapool?......my ma wouldve had the tea on for ya!!!:)

k:)

I'm still generally getting <300 a tank. I realise it's down to lots of short trips but it's starting to get annoying now. Went to Wales and back the other week and still only managed 350 to the tank.

Ouch.

If I'm a good boy, I can get at least 250, sometimes 300 to an indicated half tank. Expect a tankful run to start with a 4...

Bizarre there is such a difference in mpg figures.