Throttle pedal foot position - odd question!

Odd question but...

How are people getting on with the floor mounted throttle pedal? I seem to be having trouble positioning my foot in a position that is comfortable and does cause leg pain. I originally had my seat set such that my foot ended up resting against the plastic next to the pedel, but this meant my foot was at a high angle and a bit twisted. If I put my foot on it such that it would seem "right" (sole reasonably flat against it) I get a load of pain in my thigh. My suspicion is that the seat base is a bit narrow for me and my leg cant bow out enough to be comfortable due to the side bolsters, and so foot wrong. (I'm a bit lanky so its a toss up between distance from steering wheel and thigh support).

I know this is odd but how/where do you position your foot on it? Anyone else get this problem?

I'm 6 4 1/2 tall, play rugby and ride road cycles, no problems at all with the pedal.

I place mine a bit back, creating anangle between pedal and foot, helps throttle modulation!!!:rolleyes:

I'm 6 4 1/2 tall, play rugby and ride road cycles, no problems at all with the pedal.

I place mine a bit back, creating anangle between pedal and foot, helps throttle modulation!!!:rolleyes:

I play rugby too but didn't think that was relevant so didn't mention it :rofl:

6'3" and no problems whatsoever. In fact I find it more comfortable than the traditional throttle pedal.

I don't play Rugby any more.

HTH ;)

I love the bottom hinged pedal.

I too think the seat base doesn't offer enough support, probably because I'm "morbidly obese". :rofl:

I too have my foot at a bit or an angle to the pedal rather than flat on it, just so I can keep my heel in the same place and rock between the brake and accelerator. :)

I have exactly the same problem. I am 5' 6" (and don't play rugby). I've only had my Octavia VRs two weeks (traded in a Fabia VRs) and have found the car really uncomfortable compared to the Fabia. My girlfriend has even commented that the passenger seat is less comfortable than the Fabia.

I have exactly the same problem with a pain in the leg. I have tried all sorts of seat positions. Some are better than others but after about and hour all become uncomfortable.

I spend at least 25 hours a week driving so really need somewhere comfortable to sit. I am thinking of going back to a Fabia VRs at the moment.

The best way to use it is as a normal pedal. Place your heal away from the base of the pedal rather than flat on it, and let the front of your feet move up/down the length of the pedal as you apply throttle.

Having messed about with the seat and looked down at it all, I think rather than the pedal, its down to the seat base and a weak leg. The base seems to prevent my leg getting in quite the position it wants forcing me to use different (possibly wrong) muscles which then struggle with the pedal. It's almost as if (for me) the seat needs independant tilt and height rather than the all one that doesnt get it quite right.

Perhaps I need to take up rugby! :)

Completely agree with you about the seat base, to give my thighs the necessary support I have to have the seat nearly at its lowest setting. If the base tilted separately I'd be able to sit in my prefered higher driving position.

Ho hum, I think I've found a comfy driving position after a good 1000 miles of tweaking it! :)

6'3" and no problems whatsoever. In fact I find it more comfortable than the traditional throttle pedal.

I don't play Rugby any more.

HTH ;)

Same here.

However; I have learnt that it is best to have the seat set low and well back and put my heel up to the pedal, using my whole foot rather than just pressing the pedal with ball/big toe. Much more comfortable.

Tip to avoid the 'pain in the leg' (underside of thigh) is to keep your legs as straight as possible and knees close together; avoid the tendency to splay your legs/knees

• Like 1

When I had my knee ligaments broken by an errant skier, I found that I couldn't drive the Octavia because of this. It was just too uncomfortable. Had to use the Fabia vRS all the time....

I remember thinking that it seemed a bit of an extreme excuse to get the missus out of it. :rolleyes:

5' 7" here and I've never even thought about the pedal. So no I've no idea how my foot sits on it.

I did find the seat squab too long and I've taken a while to get used to that, or possible the shape has changed a bit over 6 months to make it more comfortable.

I have exactly the same problem. I am 5' 6" (and don't play rugby). I've only had my Octavia VRs two weeks (traded in a Fabia VRs) and have found the car really uncomfortable compared to the Fabia. My girlfriend has even commented that the passenger seat is less comfortable than the Fabia.

I have exactly the same problem with a pain in the leg. I have tried all sorts of seat positions. Some are better than others but after about and hour all become uncomfortable.

I spend at least 25 hours a week driving so really need somewhere comfortable to sit. I am thinking of going back to a Fabia VRs at the moment.

Strange! I'm 5'9 ish and find my Octavia more comfortable than my Fabia RS. I do quite a lot of miles and on my long trips in the Fabia I found I had to stop for a walk around every 150 miles or so to get comfy, but don't have to do that with my Octavia.

If I wear my work boots rather than my shoes I find it more comfortable for my ankle though which I do sometimes find can get uncomfortable after an hour or so in more or less the same position on motorways..

Only slightly annoying this is that you cant attempt to do heel and toe, but then the drive by wire restricts that anyway.

It's very comfortable for long cruises, however I have to admit to not being a fan of the electronic interface to this and the hydraulic clutch in combination as I do believe that you now have no feel from the engine/clutch any more :(

I found the opposite Mark, the pedals are very well suited to heel and toe, and the ECU seems to let you have a play and doesn't deactivate the throttle like my old Passat and Fabia... perhaps its a TFSI thing? I can certainly blip the throttle on down shifts when braking and it loves it!!! The height of the pedals is well matched, and the size of the accelerator means its easy to reach with the side of your foot... :)

I found the opposite Mark, the pedals are very well suited to heel and toe, and the ECU seems to let you have a play and doesn't deactivate the throttle like my old Passat and Fabia... perhaps its a TFSI thing? I can certainly blip the throttle on down shifts when braking and it loves it!!! The height of the pedals is well matched, and the size of the accelerator means its easy to reach with the side of your foot... :)

Ditto !!

With the 'organ pedal' style of throttle pedal you don't have to twist your ankle round as much and for a quick 'blip' the ECU doesn't cut the throttle.

Only problem with heel & toe is that the brakes are too light/sensitive for the firm brake pedal application you are likely to make. You finish up standing the car on it's nose. :D

Only comment (apart from mentioning rugby - hate it!) is the force needed to operate the pedal was far greater than I was used to in my Cit. Took a few months to recalibrate my leg. Apart from that I welcome the foot rests - so useful with DSG and the cruise control on.

the force needed to operate the pedal was far greater than I was used

Looks like wearing steel toecap boots all day does have an advantage :D

Odd question but...

How are people getting on with the floor mounted throttle pedal? I seem to be having trouble positioning my foot in a position that is comfortable and does cause leg pain. I originally had my seat set such that my foot ended up resting against the plastic next to the pedel, but this meant my foot was at a high angle and a bit twisted. If I put my foot on it such that it would seem "right" (sole reasonably flat against it) I get a load of pain in my thigh. My suspicion is that the seat base is a bit narrow for me and my leg cant bow out enough to be comfortable due to the side bolsters, and so foot wrong. (I'm a bit lanky so its a toss up between distance from steering wheel and thigh support).

I know this is odd but how/where do you position your foot on it? Anyone else get this problem?

Interesting enough I have just had the use of a Skoda Octavia Estate for a few days as a Pool Car, The first time I got into it and drove it home, I could not get comfortable with the Throttle Pedal position (I am 6ft tall) but after numerous adjustments of the steering wheel/seat I managed to get it into a comfortable position... My suggestion is to keep experimenting with the seat/steering wheel settings until you get it right, I got there in the end!!

Now I just have to do the same thing when my New Octavia Elegance arrives in April!

I find the driving position one of the most comfortable I've experienced. I'm 5ft 7in and aged 61, and feel fresh after a 300 mile plus journey. However, I find the height difference between the throttle pedal and the brake pedal annoying. Any suggestions apart from putting a block of wood on the throttle pedal?