Throttle pedal foot position - odd question!

To fix the problem of brake and clutch pedal being too high off the floor, I simply stuffed several thicknesses of corrugated cardboard under the floor mat :(

Works a treat !

Oh and I changed to a Recaro 'Style' seat for the driver as well (but that's a whole other story........)

To fix the problem of brake and clutch pedal being too high off the floor, I simply stuffed several thicknesses of corrugated cardboard under the floor mat :(

Works a treat

That's fine unless you have size 10 plus shoes! :eek:

I think the difference in level mentioned between accelerator/brake is that; if your foot is on the accelerator and you move it directly sideways to the brake it will go underneath the brake pedal. You have to actually lift your foot up and off the accelerator to then put it on the brake.

The only cure I can think of for this would be a 1/2" or 1 inch thick piece of wood/plastic put on the face of the accelerator.

I have noticed that I sit very slightly to the right of the seat and it is my right leg that starts to ache. If I look at the side bolsters while I am sat naturally in the seat, I can see more of the left one than the right one. (VRs seats by the way)

If I take my feet off the pedals and hands of the steering wheel (while parked!!), sit dead centre and then put my hand on the wheel and feet on the pedals, I seem to be facing slightly to the right rather than straight ahead.

Having adjusted the seat over and over, I have a more comfortable position in that I now get an ache on the right of my backside, rather than the pain all down my thigh, but I am now thinking this is more a function of the seat rather than pedals maybe.

Never even noticed it was floor hinged until I vacuumed the car out, no probs at all.

What I did notice was a footrest for both clutch foot AND the throttle foot - very useful on cruise and keeps foot nicely positioned to move across quickly

CappoRob, I get something similar (pain wise). The pain in on the outside of the right thigh and up in to my backside.

I find that my right leg wants to be flopped out to the right but the side bolster combined with the floor mounted pedal seem to stop it. I think with a top mounted pedal I'd be ok as I could operate it with my foot slightly twisted with the leg relaxed out.

I'll have to keep persevering with it, I dont really want to change the car as there's not a lot out there I like (that I can afford that is!).

Only problem with heel & toe is that the brakes are too light/sensitive for the firm brake pedal application you are likely to make. You finish up standing the car on it's nose. :D

Try left foot braking then. After stopping on your nose a few times you get used to doing it. :rofl:

kprida77, I have found there are better seat positions but I've not found anything completely comfortable yet. Tonight I tried another adjustment and was soon in even more pain. I expect I will get a reasonable position when it is time for a service and the mechanic changes the seat.

I've owned 9 different cars and driven many hire cars, various vans and even race cars and always got in made a quick adjustment to the seat and been comfortable for extended periods. My other car is a little Suzuki Cappuccino and I can drive that for hours on end just stopping to fill up. So it looks like I've now found the one car that doesn't fit me.

I've decided I'll give it another week before I make a decision. If I just can't get comfortable, I think I'll be looking at going back to a Fabia VRs. Anyway I hope you can get sorted as I quite literally feel your pain!

All the best,

Rob.

CappoRob, I get something similar (pain wise). The pain in on the outside of the right thigh and up in to my backside.

I find that my right leg wants to be flopped out to the right but the side bolster combined with the floor mounted pedal seem to stop it. I think with a top mounted pedal I'd be ok as I could operate it with my foot slightly twisted with the leg relaxed out.

I'll have to keep persevering with it, I don't really want to change the car as there's not a lot out there I like (that I can afford that is!).

Try your seat a little further back, straighten your legs and get your knees together (hmm, sounds like a skiing instructor :rofl: ).

Seriously this will reduce the pressure of the squab bolster on the underside of your right thigh, which gives you the pain in your bum.

I've tried moving the seat back before but that doesnt seem to make any difference. Leg always wants to fall outwards. I'm wondering if its a weak ankle which cant hold the leg and pedal at the sametime. It does seem ok for a bit if I drive with the legs together, just rather hard as leg has reduced support and wobbles about. Had similar trouble with an astra sxi which had sports seats. I used to have old bangers and never had a problem with any of them, the seats we so much simpler. Lump of sponge, back and forward thats your lot., yet so much more comfortable. Lucky really as they needed to be whilst stuck in a layby waiting for the AA! :rofl:

Right, I am a little more comfortable now. I've had a relatively short drive this morning 1.5hours and only have a slight ache in the right of my backside.

I have been experimenting with the seat positions and have it pretty much as I always have a seat which is quite well back (for a short person). I have now found my best position for my foot on the accelerator pedal is to have my heel between the brake and accelerator and a tiny amount back from the bottom of the accelerator pedal. I am then pressing the pedal with the centre line of my foot running up the left hand side of the pedal.

However, the main discovery I made once I got to work is that there is a solid bar running across the seat close to the back rest. On the VRs seat, there is th light grey front panel and then behind that, there are three black panels. When I press my fingers into the one nearest the backrest, about half way back there is a solid bar running the full width not far below the surface. I think this bar might be meeting the bone in my skinny backside and causing my pain. Do other people have this bar in their Vrs seat?

Thanks,

Rob.

I think I know the bar your talking about. If I sit in a certain position I can sometimes feel it (little flesh on my butt). I think its part of the seat cover rather than the seat frame.

I've started on a load of calf/ankle exercises to see if that helps at all. I think (as mentioned before) its a case of the seat height and tilt being as one rather than seperate. If I could get it higher but tilted down I think I'd get the support my thigh needs and stop the pain.

Think its a case of grin and bear it. Good luck getting comfortable.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In our local forum people mentioned pulling back the steering wheel and the chair with lowering the chair as needed helps against some pains. Most important thing was to set the backside of the chair quite straight (85 degree angle or so).

As for me - I use cruise control most of the time and move my legs around little on longer journeys.

I don't get it. I've driven my Mk II vRS to Prague and back without any problems.

neither do I, I drove from 30 miles north of london to just south of Madrid (Spain) via boulogne (2300 miles return) 2 days driving each way at more than 8 hours in the car each day and didnt get any pain. I did this without using cruise control at all because its currently broken.

Like some others here I find the Octavia II just about the most comfortable car I have ever driven and one of the quickest ever for me to get a good driving position.

I don't find the organ pedal throttle any different to the dangly lever type (or whatever they are called!!). Before the Octy I had never driven any vehicle with a throttle like this (apart from a Mercedes truck). On my test drive I didn't even notice it had one - only realised after I bought it.

I have always driven with my right heel to the left of the throttle with my foot at about 30 degrees from vertical with just my toes on the throttle. Maybe that is why.

I was in a major traffic holdup Tuesday night and was sitting in our car for 6 1/2 hours and dying to do a p--.As it was a motorway we just had to sit there, so i found the seat had made my backside numb the gas pedal caused me cramp in the foot could not find a comfortable arm rest position. Never played rugger but do a lot of gardening.

I find mine very comfortable but I do wonder if at times people sit strangely - ie too low and too far back/reclined. Having looked at a lot of people driving and read quite a few guides (I have a fragile back) I think people aren't aware that there is a recommended orthopaedic way of getting comfortable in a car and it doesn't involve sitting laid back a long way from the wheel (mostly men) or too close and upright (mostly women) which is where I think most problems stem from.

For info the worst cars I've ever driven tended to be vauxhalls and fords whilst the best have been my previous mitsubishi and the skodas.

It took me several days to find a comfortable position, and as a taxi driver I can spend up to 16 hours a day in the car.

The seat base could have more tilting movement, and made wider, why have they put that overhang with a small storage pocket on the side of the seat??

Last Tuesday night i was in a traffic holdup for 6 1/2 hours and i was dying for a P, as it was a motorway i just had to sit there, so,my right foot got cramp , my backside was numb, my elbow kept seeking for a comfortable rest and i did not play rugger but i do a lot of gardening.

Ive had a trigger thumb for the last few years which only plays up on long car jouneys and at no other time (it locks and wont flex until I force it and that hurts). I dont think it has anything to do with the accelerator pedal though. I did play rugby as a teenager.

Never even noticed it was floor hinged until I vacuumed the car out, no probs at all.

What I did notice was a footrest for both clutch foot AND the throttle foot - very useful on cruise and keeps foot nicely positioned to move across quickly

Problem I find is that the footrest on the throttle side is too close compared to the throttle pedal itself. Means you can't stretch your leg out when cruise is on. I looked a removing the footrest to give more room, but the plastic moulding is huge and incorporates part of the door surround.