Speeding up Bolero SD, possible solution

60 Reg VRS , 4gb card 15 albums on, accesses immediately, plays all tracks etc, mix is abit crap as only seems to mix the tracks on that album, but everyting is there and visible. I just dragged n dropped em from i tunes folder to card.

Brand new MY2011 Scout. 16GB Class 10 card, completely full with high bitrate MP3music. Flat folder structure with 1 folder per album. Folder name includes artist name and album title to help with identifying. Single .m3u playlist in the root of the card, randomised in Excel (see Post #149 in this thread) on my computer before being copied to the SD card. Then add 35-40 minutes per card to copy the data from my PC to the SD card. Repeat 10 times to cover my 150GB of music :p . Was this a complete nause? Yep. Was it a waste of time? Probably, but it beat falling asleep in front of Coro' :giggle: . Anyway, job's done and I have (relatively) easy access to all of my music and "proper" randomisation of the contents of my SD card, as opposed to the single album "mix" feature offered by the Bolero. In hindsight, I sure wish I'd gone with the factory-fit MDI cable and USB HDD option. Oh, and I meant to add, with the above method, it takes about 30 seconds to read in the contents of the card and start playing the first track.

Edited by Simon Cobb

• 5 weeks later...

I have an 8 month old Octavia, tried it with an old 2Gb SD card and it was OK, then bought an 8Gb class 10 Transcend card (only £9.99 from Play.com), and with about 6.5Gb of music on it, it a flat folder structure in the root, it would take about 50 seconds to load. That's not too bad, but there were still considerable pauses every time you use selection to choose an album, or switch from CD back to SD card. Used version 7 of DanishVikings organiser program, now takes 5 seconds to load initially and no more than a couple of seconds to navigate between albums and the menu. A great improvement, thanks a lot DanishViking.

• 1 month later...

What an oversight by Skoda that you can't do a mix in more than one folder without having to re-hash the formatting of the card and generally being a bit smart!

I'm running a Superb demo car all week and love the Bolero head unit but will now have to specify an MDI.

Or choose the Passat with the crappier HU but that has the MDI and DAB tuner as standard! The joy of specs :D

Steve

does the bolero play 4gb sd cards fast? or is it only the 2gb cards that are fast with the hu?

thanks..

If you have an 'old' firmware Bolero then the more files you add, the slower it will be. If it's one of the newer ones then adding more files has a negligible effect.

As, in this instance as you're only talking about relatively small cards then I wouldn't worry about it either way. :thumbup:

If you have an 'old' firmware Bolero then the more files you add, the slower it will be. If it's one of the newer ones then adding more files has a negligible effect.

As, in this instance as you're only talking about relatively small cards then I wouldn't worry about it either way. :thumbup:

so i guess 2 or 4gb sd cards wont make a difference in the read speed :yes:

I have had my car for about 5 weeks. I have a full 4gb card with a music folder in which I placed the artists and under artists albums. If I select the top file (music) the mix function seems to choose randomly from every album so works as true randon player.

Steve

I was helping a Briskodian the other day with some Columbus coding using VCDS.

We were able to set a bit so that the unit could go into diagnostic mode when the radio? button was held for a long time.

The unit responded with lots of harware, firmware and software version numbers.

I will see if I can do the same with my Bolero and report back.

(Might take a few days as the Mongol Hoardes are descending on my house tomorrow and Thursday).

how can one determine which firmware the bolero has by the sticker?

Oddly enough, the sticker tells you the version number! :giggle:

The next problem you will have though is that I can't remember what version number was on mine and I also don't know what version it was updated to so hopefully Spudhoolio can add extra info on Friday. :thumbup:

Oddly enough, the sticker tells you the version number! :giggle:

The next problem you will have though is that I can't remember what version number was on mine and I also don't know what version it was updated to so hopefully Spudhoolio can add extra info on Friday. :thumbup:

hmmn, now only if someone can tell me which is the latest firmware version for the bolero :dull:

I was helping a Briskodian the other day with some Columbus coding using VCDS.

We were able to set a bit so that the unit could go into diagnostic mode when the radio? button was held for a long time.

The unit responded with lots of harware, firmware and software version numbers.

I will see if I can do the same with my Bolero and report back.

(Might take a few days as the Mongol Hoardes are descending on my house tomorrow and Thursday).

I could not find where to set this bit in VCDS but managed to get this out with VCDS

"

Address 56: Radio

Control Module Part Number: 1Z0 035 156 F

Component and/or Version: BOLERO 008 0053

Software Coding: 050004000401

Work Shop Code: WSC 73430

VCID: 356A313425C7

Advanced Identification

Serial number: SKZ1Z3I8164XXX

Identification: BVX-003

Revision: 0A001001

Date: 27.07.09

Manufacturer number: 2003

Test stand number: 0168

Flash Status

Programming Attempts(application): 1

Successful Attempts(application): 1

Programming Attempts(data): 0

Successful Attempts(data): 0

Programming Status: 00000000

Flash Date: 0000.00.00

Flash Tool Code: 00000 000 00000

Flash Tool Code(data): 00000 000 00000

Software

BAP: 01.04.01

TP 2.0: 03.04.00

Misc.

Hardware number: 1Z0 035 156 F

Workshop System Name: J503

Equipment/PR Code: 0000000000000000

VCDS Info:

Labels: 5M0-035-1XX-56.clb "

Edited by InexEng

I could not find where to set this bit in VCDS but managed to get this out with VCDS

"

Address 56: Radio

Control Module Part Number: 1Z0 035 156 F

Component and/or Version: BOLERO 008 0053

Software Coding: 050004000401

Work Shop Code: WSC 73430

VCID: 356A313425C7

Advanced Identification

Serial number: SKZ1Z3I8164XXX

Identification: BVX-003

Revision: 0A001001

Date: 27.07.09

Manufacturer number: 2003

Test stand number: 0168

Flash Status

Programming Attempts(application): 1

Successful Attempts(application): 1

Programming Attempts(data): 0

Successful Attempts(data): 0

Programming Status: 00000000

Flash Date: 0000.00.00

Flash Tool Code: 00000 000 00000

Flash Tool Code(data): 00000 000 00000

Software

BAP: 01.04.01

TP 2.0: 03.04.00

Misc.

Hardware number: 1Z0 035 156 F

Workshop System Name: J503

Equipment/PR Code: 0000000000000000

VCDS Info:

Labels: 5M0-035-1XX-56.clb "

what is all that :o

Edited by insane79

• 3 weeks later...

Well I hate to depress you all, but I had my Scout in for its first service at the beginning of December. Asked again about a Bolero update; service took the normal amount of time and the Bolero update about the same again! Now it accesses the card (8gb) in about 3 seconds and starts playing straight away after that!!!

Didn't do anything to the card regarding folders, etc. It was exactly the same as when the car went in for the service.

Now it might take 2 seconds to offer the whole card for playing. Choose an album and it plays virtually straight away!

Just how it should be, I'd say. Simply crap programming originally.

Good luck folks!

Looking forward to the Superb Scout!

Cheers for that info, sounds promising. I wonder if the update is available as a 'self update' ? Don't really want to have to trek to a dealer, just for a Bolero update.

Do you happen to know what the process involved?

Cheers for that info, sounds promising. I wonder if the update is available as a 'self update' ? Don't really want to have to trek to a dealer, just for a Bolero update.

Do you happen to know what the process involved?

I've yet to see the files as a 'Wardy' update.

It involves hooking up to the dealer system for a long time - see here.

Haha, was worth a shot! :)

Don't know if I can face a trip to the dealer for something like this :S

I've got an MDI retrofit to get on with anyway, so will likely go the USB HDD option. Would just be nice to have all available options working at optimum efficiency :thumbup:

Having had access to a pre fl octy, & another FL octy pre my reg & my own, i have found the 3 bolero SD card access timings to be very different.

Pre FL version took approx 20 second to read a half filled 16gb SDHC card every time the car was started, & it was in the format of the handy program posted on Brisky.

The FL version built pre my own didnt like the format of the SD card& kept returning an error, so I had to just have a folder titled 'Music' with all the albums contained within this, & it still took 10 - 15 seconds to read & play.

My 2010 FL with the single music folder & contents plays instantly, even switching between CD & SD.

It appears that the firmware is the key here, & I suspect that the H/U indexes where the track stops, as it picks up precisely where it was stopped. ( on both CD & SD )

I was expecting to have to juggle the format of the SD card when i picked up my car, but was pleasantly surprised at its performance