Heater flap reset

With the ignition on but the engine NOT running, hold down the ECON and the bottom left of the four oblong buttons for airflow. The display changes and then you hear all the flaps calibrating.

Here you go...

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/196912-climatronic-clicking-noise/

• Thanks 1

With the ignition on but the engine NOT running, hold down the ECON and the bottom left of the four oblong buttons for airflow. The display changes and then you hear all the flaps calibrating.

Here you go...

http://briskoda.net/...clicking-noise/

Why do the flaps need re-setting and how long do you hold the buttons for?

What does it say when the display changes?

Thanks from a rather Thick Auric

• 2 months later...

Why do the flaps need re-setting and how long do you hold the buttons for?

What does it say when the display changes?

Thanks from a rather Thick Auric

They get stuck and out of calibration every now and then, usually evidenced by a clicking noise. You hold the buttons for a second or so at the most - it is fairly obvious as the display changes from showing the temperature to some strange hieroglyphic type symbols. When it has finished calibrating they change back to the temperature display.

The same can be done through VCDS as well in the Adaptation section of the HVAC unit.

More effective is running the output tests within VCDS for the flap motors and letting them run for a few cycles before moving on to the next flap.

Edited by andyvee

Some Octavia's suffer from an annoying tapping from inside the dash caused by the various flaps that control the direction of the air flow.

Resetting the system exercises the flaps from fully closed to fully open and allows for some sort of calibration.

As above, holding the buttons for a few seconds is enough to trigger the reset.

Didn't work for me though, I still have rattly flaps!

• 6 years later...

For some reason after resetting it again goes back to not blowing air from the air vents. Any reason? Keeps going on and off and does not cool with the main blowers.

Edited by z klasse

Its a recurring fault code on my new(er) Octavia, I have worked all the flaps using VCDS, they function but I always get a clicking noise on start up and the code often comes back, think that I read somewhere that they get gunked up and cant operate to both end stops but these can be reset using VCDS, beyond my skill set at the moment.

Will try the button sequence though as its something I can do often.

Whilst on the subject, I have another noise from that area, when I turn of the ignition there is a loud sighing noise like an elephant taking its last breath, sounds like some sort of bladder accumulator venting, any ideas?

The clicking noise is the gears slipping mesh as the teeth jump over each other. Can be caused initially by any number of things but once you have clicking you will need to replace the flap motor.

9 hours ago, blackspaven said:

Low Aircon gas? Produces all sorts of strange noises if it's not fully topped up.

Gas is fully topped up but I am still waiting for a G65 pressure sensor coming (but probably lost) from China to get it up and running.

Doesnt seem so cheap now :sadsmile:

I keep falling for the Ebay scam where the delivery is shown as 2 weeks on the listing but after you pay it becomes 2 months, a tiny package like that usually gets to me in a week or so so I am certain its lost but have to wait 2 months to dispute the charge.

Anyway, aircon is not pumping till G65 replaced so not that, it really does sound like the dying expiration of a large mammal or the sigh of frustration from someone world weary!

• 2 weeks later...

The motors and gears in the flap actuator are usually durable, the one that fails often is the position potentiometer, it needs cleaning with special potentiometer spray. Fixed mine, now it works like new, search on google there's a tutorial with pictures for this. 

Aircon pressure sensor now replaced with one that works, think its too cold to test the system but have started a different thread on the subject.

I still have clicking noises, fault code for V71 flap and when looking at measuring blocks the G113 potentiometer shows a setting of something like 73° against an expected setting of zero degrees, does this mean the motor is not working or the potentiometer is dirty or are they unrelated?

• 5 months later...
On Saturday, December 17, 2011 at 13:15, silver1011 said:

Here you go...

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/196912-climatronic-clicking-noise/

How many seconds should I hold?

OnceOnce turn air condition on and the temp went down the fan speed still the same speed although it should be lower speed, right?

• 3 months later...
On 25/10/2018 at 12:55, Lucian84 said:

The motors and gears in the flap actuator are usually durable, the one that fails often is the position potentiometer, it needs cleaning with special potentiometer spray. Fixed mine, now it works like new, search on google there's a tutorial with pictures for this. 

Ah might this be the problem of one side suddenly going hot when both set cold ?

Helpme!!

• 4 years later...
On 10/10/2018 at 22:26, J.R. said:

Its a recurring fault code on my new(er) Octavia, I have worked all the flaps using VCDS, they function but I always get a clicking noise on start up and the code often comes back, think that I read somewhere that they get gunked up and cant operate to both end stops but these can be reset using VCDS, beyond my skill set at the moment.

Will try the button sequence though as its something I can do often.

Whilst on the subject, I have another noise from that area, when I turn of the ignition there is a loud sighing noise like an elephant taking its last breath, sounds like some sort of bladder accumulator venting, any ideas?

I know its 5 years old post and since then probably irrelevant but might still help somebody in the future... My Octavia II had a strange sound like this when turning off ignition:

Like when you turn off an industrial vacuum cleaner and its releasing big amount of air :D I have found that its a black box located in the motor compartment just below the windshield (its clearly visible on an Octavia II). Its a solenoid valve block. Product code for Octavia II is: 6Q0 906 625 E. After replacing this part the sound gone. However after driving 70k kilometers (total mileage of car 140k at the time) the strange sound came back on the new solenoid valve block. After that i did not solve it anymore since it costs 200euro. Now mileage is 230k and its still making sound but car is working good.

Ah the cow expiring its terminal breath noise, that brings back memories! 😃

I knew it was the vacuum releasing and never took it any further as all the vacuum operated systems worked fine, it was just part of the character of the vehicle.

Edited by J.R.