talk about busted, mobility car misuse

Nath.

at least they don't have a swear filter! IMO the blokes a nob end, MY car, and ripping off/ abusing the system. Take it off them and replace it with a poverty spec Mii, that'll wipe the smile off the smug t wats face!

We refere to it at work as scrotab, 99.9% of these cars come back with fag burns p**s stains and scratched to buggery!

Seen quite a few people caught by this a quite right too. My parents are disabled and we looked at getting a mobility car but the numbers don't add up. When you choose to have a car you lose all your DLA and if you want something decent you have to contribute. At the time we worked out you could have a Golf GTI with some toys on finance for the same as a bog standard mobility car. So we didn't bother, bought the Swift and saved what DLA we could for the next car.

Seen quite a few people caught by this a quite right too. My parents are disabled and we looked at getting a mobility car but the numbers don't add up. When you choose to have a car you lose all your DLA and if you want something decent you have to contribute. At the time we worked out you could have a Golf GTI with some toys on finance for the same as a bog standard mobility car. So we didn't bother, bought the Swift and saved what DLA we could for the next car.

What a lot do is to get a runround with the payments. Unless you're going great distances ( and there's hire places for that) , most bangers can cope. A lot of makers do a fuel only scheme that makes a mockery of the disability scheme. And the insurance on motability cars don't take into account the driver's record.

I think that Motability cars should be from a very limited list and the whole system geared to keeping a disabled person mobile. Too many people believe that a Motability car is automatically a "family car" and take great offence when told otherwise. There have been many cases where the car has been acquired for the "wife's use" and the husband takes the car to work every day and the wife takes a taxi to get around. The vehicle is there for the direct benefit of the claimant, at all times.

However, there are certain things that have gone quietly through that thread:

1) No only is the car being used outside of the Motability rules, it's also being used outside of the VED rules too. (Those on DLA can claim zero cost VED. However the vehicle must be used for their direct benefit at all times.

2) VAT is not charged on the supply of a vehicle to Motability, on the presumption that it being used in accordance to specific rules about it's use. (Again think "for the direct use and benefit of the claimant" type stuff)

3) Motability is a charity. The "funding" comes mostly from the re-sale of vehicles and from the claimant. The claimant may "give up" their DLA mobility component, and more if required). If the monthly cost is less than the DLA mobility component, the the claimant retains the difference. The twists come when you have any adaptations or conversions. The lease length extends from three to five years, but also the deposit you are required to pay becomes almost extortionate. My mum had MS and is wheelchair-bound. Her transport is an R-reg Honda Shuttle, which has seen better days. (Dad drives a Focus when he's not driving mum around). Time for a new car says mum. Been to the Motability show in Peterborough, seen a very nice VW Caddy conversion. To do this through the scheme would cost £12,000 as a deposit, as well as the whole of the monthly motorbility component. Ok, not so bad you may think. It's a third of the total cost of the Caddy+conversion. However, at the end of the lease you don't have the option to buy the vehicle, nor extend the lease. The vehicle goes back to Motability and they sell it. If you see places selling converted vehicles, they command a hefty premium over their "normal" counter-parts. In quite a high number of cases Motability is able to sell the vehicle for more than their contribution to it's initial purchase. (Just look at how much 'old' conversions go for these days.) That £12,000 "deposit" nicely covers their costs, you're left looking for another £12,000 to pay on the next one. None of the funding comes from the government. Motability are just a big car dealer. Oh and there's an agreement with HMRC whereby they don't pay VAT on new vehicles or conversions to new vehicles as well.

Nice little earner

(Mum's just bought a '04 '06 Toymota Previa (conversion) with 51k on the clock. £10k £11k, gives you an idea of the "premium" levied on conversions)

As an aside:

If you ever want to find out how "real" a charity is, just look for how much they pay their chief executive. Charities are not allowed to make a profit, so any excess money has to go "somewhere". ;)

Edits/updates in blue

Edited by RainbowFore
  • Like 3

We refere to it at work as scrotab, 99.9% of these cars come back with fag burns p**s stains and scratched to buggery!

Rubbish!

Can you prove those figures?

I've owned 2 exMotability cars, and both have been perfect. In fact the local LR dealer to here purposely buys them because of their excellent condition, and the fact that any damage is rigurously checked and paid for.

• Like 2

Rubbish!

I've owned 2 exMotability cars, and both have been perfect. In fact the local LR dealer to here purposely buys them because of their excellent condition, and the fact that any damage is rigurously checked and paid for.

They might have been perfect by the time you got it, I can't speak for all dealers but we very rarely get a motab car that that dos'nt need work and all are rancid inside!

Rubbish!

I've seen some right old nails of freshly defleeted Motability cars. We had a 3 year old Vauxhall in where the hand controls had been so expertly removed that it required £600 of control unit to get the lights to work properly. I find it amazing that some people classify bent body work, cracked bumpers and trashed interiors as fair wear and tear.

I believe that Motability have now put a maximum price on the cars that can be had under the scheme (£20 - £25K I think) and have stopped people from adding their own money to the payments, so it would seem that the ex Motability Land Rovers mentioned above are a thing of the past

• Like 1

I believe that Motability have now put a maximum price on the cars that can be had under the scheme (£20 - £25K I think) and have stopped people from adding their own money to the payments, so it would seem that the ex Motability Land Rovers mentioned above are a thing of the past

Quick bit of paperwork sorts that out, as does the "other" named drivers having to live within 5 miles.

To quote one Hector Barbossa: "the code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules"

*If* anyone has reported it, given the nature of the "brag" and that it's the second time he's done it (and documented it so wonderfully for all to see), I would think Motability have little option but to check it out, especially given all the hoo-har over "tightening" the rules.

Worst case scenario: the car goes back and mum is black-listed (yes, it does happen). She shouldn't lose the mobility component as that's not down the Motability. No criminal offence unless Motobility decide to go for fraud (unlikely). Motability sell the car at a profit (remember, they didn't pay VAT) or pass on to another claimant (unlikely).

Best scenario: humble pie, lesson learnt and never ever bragging about anything like that again. ;) ;)

(Lick the window of life? As long as it's not Windows 8!)

http://www.motabilit...A&objectid=2778

It was a £1000 fine on the Road Tax abuse. Its got very lax.

Now you can still have your Exemption Certificate because it does not even get shown to the Motabilty Supplying Dealer and the Tax Disc goes on the car, & the replacements come to you in the post.

(people are running 2 exempt discs often for one Disabled person. Motability car and their own)

There is lots of good stuff written here, but lets stop the Urban Myth Stuff.

Supplying Dealers no longer get a Buy Back Option when supplying the Vehicle that is bought by Motability Finance to lease to the DLA Higher Rate Mobility Component recipient.Or War Disabled or war pension recipient

Now I have followed Closely the Charity Motability.

I fought over the years to get rights for Disabled People that recieved no Benefits,

& Manufacturers like Subaru that were not in the Scheme in the 90's would offer a Discount to True Disabled in the form of a cash back after you did your deal at the Dealership.

BL then Rover, had a scheme back when,

Fiat had a good scheme before the UK Dealers knocked that on the head.

Ford & Vauxhall were pulling out in the 1990's because of the abuse.

This forced changes to the system.

20,000 miles a year instead of 12,000 and other things that meant people that worked and were truely disabled could run Motability cars.

Lord Sterling and the other Croanies had to cut down on the Millions in the Fund of this Chariity that Paid Huge Wages to its Directors and Senior Employees.

HIM FLONSING ABOUT ON THE TV TODAY PLAYING WITH BOATS AND THE ONE THAT ORGANISES STUFF LIKE THE SILVER AND GOLDEN JUBILEE. (an Admiral)

Ok it was still a sham.

The Lords Reports and enquiries did nothing to stop the Corruption of this scheme.

Honourable Lords have lots to do with the bad system that it is.

Look up the Patron and the Board back through the years.

http://www.motabilit...I&ObjectId=2779

--------------------------------------------------

Move on to the Banking Crisis in 2008.

The Labour Government have used the Motability Funds to put in the hands of the 5 Major Banks.

They are Motability Finance now. the many many Millions in the (charitable) Fund kept some going and still is.

*EDITED THE AMOUNT* 1.3 billion it was at one point they held.

Thats why the old stuff from the Minis & Metros after the Blue Invalid Carriages & then 4 new tyres and all wear and tear charged etc,

went out the window.

At least it is supposed to be back to £25.000 limit on vehicles etc.

Except Motability Finance will approve early Returns now, and again and again.

One neighbour of mine has returned since his Picasso went back after 3 years.

A Vauxhall Zifara Auto Exclusive,,

for a Grand Picasso Auto , he got a Citroen C3 Manual, and it went back a month ago and he got a SEAT Altea XL Auto.

His Brothers son drives his fathers Renault Senic Grand, & his Sisters man drives the Kia Venga.all Motability.

Not one of them has a genuine disability.

Now i have had my leg off since 1977 and never recieved Mobility allowance for much of that period, as 'I dont have a permanant walking disability,

& when i did win appeals and get it, it was back dated and did not give me 3 years award to use it.

In the 1980's in Dundee, People (drug users) with HIV were deemed to have a terminal illness even without having AID's and got Motability cars.

30 years later, many are still alive and still have new Motability cars each 3 years.

Methadone users here have Motability cars, & sometimes 2 in the family.

They drive to get there Presciption served at the chemist and drive away after taking it.

?Does it pee me off? you bet.

george

Edited by sk4gw
  • Like 2

A qashquai is what he needs, DLA chariot of choice around these parts

Nothing says free car like a Nissan Qashqaui or however it's spelt !!

Yeah my next door neighbour has one too and they're disabled. The whole system ****es me off. My mother can't work because of spine and back damage, is in constant pain every day and at one point was at risk of being paralysed from the waist down but yet isn't disabled enough. The next door neighbour of a mate of mine is on disability for having uncontrollable shakes and he "can't walk far". The reason he shakes is because he's an alcoholic. His hands are perfectly stable with a can of Tennents Super in his hand at 8am :wall:

• Like 1

Yeah my next door neighbour has one too and they're disabled. The whole system ****es me off. My mother can't work because of spine and back damage, is in constant pain every day and at one point was at risk of being paralysed from the waist down but yet isn't disabled enough. The next door neighbour of a mate of mine is on disability for having uncontrollable shakes and he "can't walk far". The reason he shakes is because he's an alcoholic. His hands are perfectly stable with a can of Tennents Super in his hand at 8am :wall:

It's all down to how you fill the forms out. What you have to do is to fill them out in relation how you are on your worst day. Martyrs get nothing in this game. The fact that your mates neighbour "can't walk far" counts quite heavily in his favour on paper. If your mum puts on "brave face" when filling the forms out, then "no" will be the answer every time. A good doctor (i.e. one who actually understands the process) is invaluable when it comes to filling out the forms.

Number 5 at:

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/f23.htm

Which also includes:

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/f23.htm#virtually

.......could be helpful ;)

• Like 1