Uprated SMIC? Another IC option!

Just got the top boost pipe made up this morning and got my diagnostic computer.

Which channel is it to log intake temps, I can't find it anywhere!

Hope your taking plenty of pictures of what your doing mate :-)

sent from my Galaxy Note 4

Not much to picture yet but the top boost pipe should look good, got it with a 70° bend and beaded ends to stop the silicone popping off.

Where have you purchased the cooler from by the way? There are lots of sellers flogging a similar looking style, but as we all know, just because something looks like seatsport intercooler, doesn't mean it performs like one.

I got the smic 2nd hand off the dub northeast selling page, he said it was on his golf 1.8T for a couple months until he upgraded to a front mount...

Pipes should be delivered Friday so once everything is here I'll upload some pics :)

It seems the going rate is about £100 for them brand new from what I've seen.

Things which appeals to me;

1. They are a cheaper alternative to a standard intercooler replacement (£294 I believe from Skoda). I appreciate they can be had second hand for next to nothing but I'm just trying to strike up a comparison with new for new.

2. Eliminates the weak points of the standard pipework by easily accepting silicon pipes and jubilee clips (I'm thinking especially on that lower 90 degree bend).

Also if it does offer an improvement over a standard intercooler, it's a halfway house for us that just run a "stage 1" remap.

Will look forward to the pics!

I saw on a vag forum where a guy had fitted one of these intercoolers on a golf and made a fibreglass scoop to replace the standard rubber/plastic one which no longer fits. Looked a really good job to.

OK chaps, apologies. Completely over cooked my previous statement... lol

This was it, not fibreglass and doesn't look great, but is functional I suppose! Lol

BFSMIC_024_600x450_zpsj3kv89de.jpg

• Like 1

So a slight problem I overlooked :D

a4e7c553ce2c98a1297e_3.jpg

That's a golf intetcooler, I didn't take much notice and thought it was a Fabia one.

Problem being the angle of the inlet and outlet are different... It still mocked up ok and could work out in our favour as the bottom before needed a 90° it's looking like a straight reducer could be used so possibly better flow.

So a slight problem I overlooked :D

a4e7c553ce2c98a1297e_3.jpg

That's a golf intetcooler, I didn't take much notice and thought it was a Fabia one.

Problem being the angle of the inlet and outlet are different... It still mocked up ok and could work out in our favour as the bottom before needed a 90° it's looking like a straight reducer could be used so possibly better flow.

I alluded to this in post 55 mate. It looked like the top intercooler outlet would come straight out in the back of the drivers side headlight. Appreciate that might only be part of what your saying though.

I take it there is enough room then despite a slight reshuffling of pipework?

I alluded to this in post 55 mate. It looked like the top intercooler outlet would come straight out in the back of the drivers side headlight. Appreciate that might only be part of what your saying though.

I take it there is enough room then despite a slight reshuffling of pipework?

My apologise for over looking it.

It's going to have to be mounted a little bit further back but because the intercoolers don't mount straight fasing it will be at a slight angle anyway and with the 45° silicone bend it should go up the back of the headlight.... That's the idea anyway.

We mocked the mountin lugs up and one can be used with some washers to take up the gap and the other will have to be made but thankfully there's plenty of room to play about with.