brake light & tail light not working!

VRS-R

Hello, I need some advise please. Yesterday someone from work told me they noticed my left brake light was not working at all! :( I went to Halfords today to buy new brake bulbs and replaced the broken one, at the same time i also replaced the left one to be on the safe side. Got home and noticed the left bulb is still not working?! :sweat: Can anyone please explain to me what might be causing this really annoying problem? I don't want to be pulled over by the local plod and be given a fine! Any advice on this would be very helpful thanks. My car is a mk2 Vrs 07 plate if this helps at all?

There is an orange light showing on the dashboard, it indicates a rear light bulb is not working. Also my pasanger side side light doesn't work. I didn't know this until i checked again after this post! All other bulbs are fine just the top brake light on the left rear corner that doesn't work. Any idea why this happened?

The brake light bulbs on your car are dual/twin filament, as they perform two functions - tail and brake.

This is the same for the lowest tail light bulb, this is fog and tail.

As above try the fog/tail light bulb and see if this cures the problem, this will eliminate or confirm the bulb as being the cause of the fault.

It is also worth noting that the Halfords book for the MkII Octavia is wrong.

You need a 21W/4W bulb NOT a 21W/5W as the book recommends.

Edited by silver1011

I'm going to nail it on Halfords advising you of the wrong bulb to use, their catalogue is wrong. They probably gave you a 5w one.

Silver1011 will be along shortly to tell you the exact model number, but it's a 4w bulb with offset bayonet/pins.

Edit: called it!

Edited by chr1staylor

Silver1011 will be along shortly to tell you the exact model number, but it's a 4w bulb with offset bayonet/pins.

:giggle:

Copied and pasted from another recent similar thread:

Your Octavia (2007) is fitted with dual filament brake/tail lights (later versions of the Octavia changed to single filament bulbs whereby the current is altered by the CANBUS depending on which function is required).

The Octavia has four tail lights in each cluster. From the top of the 'C' down they are as follows:

1) Brake / tail
2) Tail
3) Tail
4) Fog / Tail

Bulbs 1 & 4 are dual or twin filament (21W/4W) and bulbs 2 & 3 are single filament (W3W).

You need to replace bulb no. 1 as this is an MOT failure.

Make sure you get 21W/4W bulbs rather than the much more popular 5W bulbs otherwise this (can) throw up a bulb-out warning light. I fitted 5W bulbs for 2 & 3. These aren't monitored by the bulb monitoring system so I didn't get a warning but they only lasted 6 months and popped so I swapped back to W3W's.

Saying that I had bulb no. 3 out for my recent MOT and the tester never noticed. I think as long as he see's some 'red' from any of the four tail lights he's happy! Having three working brake lights is essential though.

SkodaOctaviaRearLightBulbs.jpg

RearLightCluster.jpg

Bulbs 1 & 4 are here (reverse and indicator too):

DSC04865.jpg

Bulbs 2 & 3 are here:

DSC04866.jpg

Edited by silver1011

Front sidelight out at the same time is a bit odd though - has a fuse gone or is this just the CECM shutting down the circuit as the wrong wattage bulb is fitted?

Or it could be a blown sidelight as well..........

Get some long nosed pliers out as the sidelight bulbs are awkward to change.

• 1 month later...

Just for info.

As already said. Halfords list the wrong bulbs for the mk2 Octavia - Brake light.

Halfords Bulbs - 380 - Are 21/5w - They are the wrong bulbs.

Halfords Bulbs - 382 - Are 21w - They are the correct bulbs.

Ive found that out the hard way after ****ing around for ages tonight when it should have been a 1 min job.

Just for info.

As already said. Halfords list the wrong bulbs for the mk2 Octavia - Brake light.

Halfords Bulbs - 380 - Are 21/5w - They are the wrong bulbs.

Halfords Bulbs - 382 - Are 21w - They are the correct bulbs.

Ive found that out the hard way after ****ing around for ages tonight when it should have been a 1 min job.

Not neccessarily, it depends on the year of your Octavia.

Agreed, the 21W / 5W bulb is wrong, but only the very latest MkII Octavia's utilise a 21W single filament bulb to perform the function of brake/tail and fog/tail.

Both my Octavia's use a twin filament 21W / 4W bulb.

Not neccessarily, it depends on the year of your Octavia.

Agreed, the 21W / 5W bulb is wrong, but only the very latest MkII Octavia's utilise a 21W single filament bulb to perform the function of brake/tail and fog/tail.

Both my Octavia's use a twin filament 21W / 4W bulb.

My TFSI is a 2006 and uses a single filament.

(Having said that with all the messing around I was doing at some point a did get the twin filament to work but only on one side at a time)

And just a note, if you do get pulled over dont say i know im sorry officer cause they will fine you, just say you checked before setting off and they were working then, bulbs blow, the plod cant know when it blew.

What a load of twaddle!.

My TFSI is a 2006 and uses a single filament.

(Having said that with all the messing around I was doing at some point a did get the twin filament to work but only on one side at a time)

Hmmm, very weird, your 2006 is single filament, a previous poster's 2008 is also single filament but my 2007 vRS and 2008 Scout are both twin filament.

It would seem the differentiator isn't the model year then..?

where can i get some of the 4w tail light bulbs im searching all the usual places and havent found any, all i can find are the 5w versions