1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

Just joined the forum, so Hi everyone.

I have a 1.8tfsi Audi A3 on a 59 plate with 30K miles on it. The car is furnished with the E888 CDA engine and is 160 bhp which I think is the same as the Yeti, Leon, Octy etc that some of you guys have.

Had the car under a year and had the oil consumption test done at Audi which yielded a result of 0.14mls per 623 miles so oil consumption (apparrantly) is under Audi threshold for a rebuild. Having said this I have done 1000 mile since the test and the oil topped up and I am now down to the min mark. In my opinion the car is using too much oil and the dealer does not want to know.

Other issues I have are that it smokes a lot to the extent I cant even see of the rear window and their is no real pattern to the level of smoking other than it is worse when its cold. My exhaust tail pipes (chrome) are thick in black soot and you would think it was fitted to an old diesel smoker.

I am also having a rattle under load (worst when engine is cold) from 1600 rpm to 2200 rpm when accelerating and I think this "might" be a timing chain issue. However I don't get the rattle on start up only when driving. The noise is often there when the engine is hot but not as noticeable. The rattle also undulates if you are going over bumps at the time. Sounds as if it is something loose under the right side of the engine (when sat in car)

I am just wondering if these symptoms are something you guys have experienced where your engine has expired due to timing chain ?

Car is currently under warranty and runs out in May of this year.

Any help appreciated guys

Goochy

Hi Goochy

There was a rattle reported on the 2.0 vRs engine under load at the low end rev scale, further reading can be found here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/156415-new-vrs-20-tfsi-rattling-noise/page-2?hl=%20tsi%20%20rattle

Could that be it?

Steve

• Like 1

Update:-

Not good, the Skoda Warranty (Car Care Plan) have rejected the claim as its an "inherent fault" which is mentioned in the small print. Skoda have so far offer 80% off the parts leaving me with a bill of £2.5k! I am currently waiting for them to get back to me as I have escalated it and I am also taking legal advice to claim against the dealer I purchased the car from new.

So if anyone has purchased a Skoda extended warranty to cover your tensioner, its worthless.

Fingers still crossed for you , maybe you consider a post on Piston Heads or starting a new one , your issues and poor treatment from Skoda deserves a wider audience

Yer but that's not gonna get me my new engine for nowt. I have e-mailed VW Finance, Watchdog, CAB, What Car. Will see what Skoda say tomorrow but shocking that Skoda Warranty don't cover design faults with its own cars.

Do Skoda agree that it is an inherent fault?

And is this the small print?

...Warranty Conditions.

11. Design Faults and Recalls. If one of the vehicle’s components has an inherent design fault or is recalled by its manufacturer, the component which is the subject of the design fault or recall is not covered by this warranty

15. Exclusions - This warranty does not cover...

c. Failures caused by faults which a qualified engineer thinks could have reasonably existed before this warranty began.

Well you now have an independent opinion that the engine is not of merchantable quality so you have a case under the sales of goods act

• Like 2

Hi Goochy

There was a rattle reported on the 2.0 vRs engine under load at the low end rev scale, further reading can be found here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/156415-new-vrs-20-tfsi-rattling-noise/page-2?hl=%20tsi%20%20rattle

Could that be it?

Steve

Sounds to be similar Steve and my engine is an e888 but not a 2.0. If it's just a clip I will be relieved.

Thanks for the heads up. Something to discuss with an Audi tech when I drop the car off in 2 weeks.

Update:-

Not good, the Skoda Warranty (Car Care Plan) have rejected the claim as its an "inherent fault" which is mentioned in the small print. Skoda have so far offer 80% off the parts leaving me with a bill of £2.5k! I am currently waiting for them to get back to me as I have escalated it and I am also taking legal advice to claim against the dealer I purchased the car from new.

So if anyone has purchased a Skoda extended warranty to cover your tensioner, its worthless.

I'd be tempted to claim from Skoda UK direct, and unless you've used the warranty for anything else suggest that you bought it solely to cover this eventuality, and hence sue them for the cost of that too.

Ooo what a situation to be in, I would have very strong words with SUK customer services and follow up with an email to the SUK MD.

So basically the Skoda endorsed extended warranty (offered through their dealer network) isn't covering what they see as an inherent design fault, and SUK are only offering to cover part of the costs.

The press would have a field day with that, especially as it covers engines across the group.

Good Luck. 

• Like 2

Just to mirror what Gti Jazz Blue says good luck with this. Are they not just backing themselves into a corner here? If their own warranty wont cover you as the issue is caused by a design fault then that leaves them wide open on SOGA doesnt it. Knowingly providing a product which is not fit for purpose?

This potentially opens up a can of worms for Skoda UK and VAG woldwide. First, the OP needs to know what evidence the warranty company has for claiming that there is an inherent defect in the design of the timing chain tensioner which has led them to reject the claim. Next, Skoda UK need to be presented with that evidence and asked for their comments on it. If they don't accept that there is an inherent defect - and in turn that the warranty company do not have a valid reason for rejecting the claim - then the OP can ask the Financial Ombudsman Service to review the case. But with evidence from the warranty company, the OP must surely have a good case to claim against the seller under the SOGA that the car he was sold was not fit for purpose.

All this will take time, money and perseverance. Hopefully Skoda UK will see sense and head this off from becoming a cause celebre like the recent BMW engine failure case. Good luck.

P.S. Make sure you have followed the tems and conditions of the warranty by involving the Customer Services Manager, ŠKODA Approved Warranty Services.

• Like 2

SOGA would apply to the original supplying dealer - but only if you purchased it from new. My understanding is that SOGA only covers the original owner and is not transferable.

In a way I can't blame the extended warranty provider as they are left holding a large bill thanks to a design issue.

However this could create a precedent as they are effectively saying that in their opinion Skoda (VAG) got the design wrong of the tensioner.

According to the link below SOGA does still apply to secondhand cars albeit there are differences in its application between new and used cars.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/the-second-hand-car-i-bought-has-broken-down-what-can-i-do-

I am pretty sure that at least one member, and maybe more, has had an engine replaced under the Car Care Plan warranty so I wonder what is different in this case. Maybe there have been so many claims that the insurer as drawn a line in the sand on further claims. But if they have, they aren't being consistent in how they view the tensioner problem.

Hi, I got a revised offer of 80% for parts and 50% for labour. This leaves me with £1458 to pay. I spoke with Skoda CS who would not budge or comment on the known fault. I said I will go to the press and sue the supplying dealer they were not bothered.

I have asked for the rejection in writing from Skoda Warranty (who they are now calling Car Care Plan) and also for a list of which parts are being fitted.

I will then put this in writing to the supplying dealer in due course. I've not had any replies yet from What Car or Watchdog.

Understood - but can't stand it when we end up in this situation.

VAG and in this case SUK need to stand by their product - if they got the design wrong - admit it and cover it. Stop this lottery as to whether it is covered - the tensioner isn't a serviceable part (there is no service interval specified), it is supposed to be for the lifetime of the car. Does the Mark 3 have a chain or have they gone back to a belt ?

Understood - but can't stand it when we end up in this situation.

VAG and in this case SUK need to stand by their product - if they got the design wrong - admit it and cover it. Stop this lottery as to whether it is covered - the tensioner isn't a serviceable part (there is no service interval specified), it is supposed to be for the lifetime of the car. Does the Mark 3 have a chain or have they gone back to a belt ?

Agreed , they expect customer loyalty but don't demonstrate much back

• Like 1