Fuel filling problem

Oas

Hi all.

When we were on holiday in Norway  I got problems to refuel the car. The nozzle tripped just as the tank was full. Took it to another gas station, same problem. I had to take it to a repair shop. It seemed like something has come loose in the filler pipe and stopped the flow. Results: replacement of fuel tank.Price: approx 1400€. The car is a Yeti 1.8 TSI 4x4. Hope that's covered by warranty!  Anyone else heard about this?

Nope, No paper att all...they said 90% chanse at the warranty cover it. They got my name, number, chassie number of the car etc. If it's a warranty issue the the fuel tank belongs to Skoda Norway.

as long as you have a credit card receipt that should be enough. :p

I wou;d have insisted on some paperwork, just so that the maintenance is fully detailed.

I had a filling problem in France, in 2012. On the motorway we stopped for fuel and the place had been fitted with new pumps. I tried two pumps but only managed to get

€1:50 in each time after about 30,000 clicks of the pump. Embarrassingly paid my €1:50, twice, and moved onto the next motorway stop, about 40km further on. Fuelled up there no problem and never had a problem since.

Luckily I left myself enough fuel to get to the next stop.

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys,

I've had the same problem with my Yeti, 4X4 1.8 TSI. It took me half an hour to have a few leters in the tank. However, I have realized that this problem appears when there are only a few leters left in the tank. If you are not in the red sector yet, there is no problem. I understand from the dealier that the tank should be replaced and am about to leave the car at the repairs. Hopefully, it won't take long and guarantee will cover it.

Strange comments above.  In France yesterday I had to fill up.

Filling up the pump cut out as does in England, problem was it did not cut out quick enough. A fair amount of fuel spilled out over the rear side as if the sensor in the pump was set wrong.

Maybe EU pump settings are different to here in the UK.

I had a filling problem in France, in 2012. On the motorway we stopped for fuel and the place had been fitted with new pumps. I tried two pumps but only managed to get

€1:50 in each time after about 30,000 clicks of the pump. Embarrassingly paid my €1:50, twice, and moved onto the next motorway stop, about 40km further on. Fuelled up there no problem and never had a problem since.

Luckily I left myself enough fuel to get to the next stop.

I have had a similar problem when refuelling at a Morrisons Supermarket. I could not get any fuel into the car. It has never happened before or since. I swear the fuel nozzle was slightly larger than normal, hence not allowing enough air to vent.

• 8 months later...

I'm baffled by filling this 1.6 litre diesel Yeti. So far I've had to fill up 4 times. Each time at a different supplier.  I've tried both running it into the red, and filling up sooner. Every time it clicks off every second or so and I spend ages at the pump. Usually I have to hold the filler out from the tank to get anything to move at all, and then it spills at the end.

Is there a trick I can't find in the book or this forum?  Or does it have to go back to the dealer (100 miles in a direction I don't usually go).

15767610407_d708709f8a_o.jpg

I'm baffled (good word for this topic by the way) by the picture. Presumably this is your diesel tank opening? You didn't say. If so, it is completely different to the one on my Yeti.

All that aside, I fill mine by having the pump nozzle at 90 degrees to the norm. Might be just a matter of getting used to it?

Although not a Yeti, I regularly experience issues at various pumps when filling up my Octy Scout; pump shutting off after about a millisecond, or only getting about 4 or 5 litres. I find turning the nozzle from the quarter to/past right up to the 12 o'clock position works. You just have to ensure none of the nozzle scrapes the paintwork!:'(

Fin

I'm baffled (good word for this topic by the way) by the picture. Presumably this is your diesel tank opening? You didn't say. If so, it is completely different to the one on my Yeti.

All that aside, I fill mine by having the pump nozzle at 90 degrees to the norm. Might be just a matter of getting used to it?

Sorry, Freedie, I meant to say that's the view into the diesel tank opening. I posted it in case it's not right in some way, or someone can point out a trick for inserting the pump nozzle. 

And to both responders, I have tried all sorts of rotations and partial withdrawals, but no luck.

I can add that I filled from an old spare can I keep at home, which has a narrow plastic nozzle that screws onto it, and it worked fine.

Hey! No need for "sorry". I hope you get it sorted. My point was that it looks so completely different to mine that I wonder whether it has been adapted for some reason/purpose?

It was bought in July as a standard Greenline 1.6 diesel. There are no others around here for me to compare, so I don't know if they've introduced anything new, like mis-fuel protection.  Because petrol fillers are narrower than diesel ones  (I got it wrong a few years ago) I don't see how they could protect from putting in petrol.

I have a Greenline SE,  and I don't think my filler neck looks like that... wife is out in the Yeti at present,  but when she gets back I'll go and have a look.  Can't remember seeing those three "spokes" or the other two thingies,  or that rather small hole in a flat plate that yours has.  The diesel nozzle is a snug fit in mine,  though,  so I'm not surprised you are having trouble.    Did it come like that from the factory,  or did you buy it second-hand?  Like I say,  I'll have a look at mine later this afternoon.

It was bought in July as a standard Greenline 1.6 diesel. There are no others around here for me to compare, so I don't know if they've introduced anything new, like mis-fuel protection.  Because petrol fillers are narrower than diesel ones  (I got it wrong a few years ago) I don't see how they could protect from putting in petrol.

They put devices in the filler that require the fatter nozzle to push them open at the same time, thus opening a flap that allows fuel to fill. The narrower gasoline nozzle can't push them open and so the flap stays closed. Some new cars have them now.

Well,  how wrong can you be?   Following up on my previous post,  I have to say that my filler neck DOES look the same as yours after all!  Just goes to show how unobservant I am.

As I said,  a diesel filler nozzle is a snug fit in the filler neck,  but I haven't had the problems you have had.  Unless the hole in the neck is unusually small in yours (manufacturing defect?) I can't suggest a solution,  I'm afraid.

I don't suppose the pumps in your area are designed for lorries,  and deliver at a higher rate than those in more civilised parts of the world?  (That was NOT intended as a slur on the Scots,  just a little attempt at humour,  before I get drummed off the forum for trolling.)

• Like 1

Hi , depends, if your useing a High Flow Pump. (Which is the larger  Nozzle). And have used Larger nozzle successfully.

Also as Diesel tends to foam in a consigned space, have found that if you use 1/3-1/2 nozzle capacity, I can fill mine to 1/2" of overflow.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked my dealer about the problem and they say they've not had it before, and need the car for a few days to investigate, consult Škoda and replace the tank or whatever is needed.

I also looked up diesel filler nozzles and see from http://www.tanksrus.co.uk/high-flow-automatic-nozzles-565-p.asp  that the UK has 31mm and 38mm spout ODs on automatic cut out nozzles, and 38.5mm ones on even faster nozzles for big vehicles.   I'll take callipers in the car to check the nozzles where I can easily go for diesel.  Maybe the wording at the pump also gives a clue. I do see big trucks and lorries using the nearest petrol station's fillers that I used to fill my old TDI Golf from.

38.5 is so close the 38mm - I wouldn't expect tolerances of plastic parts in the spout to make that enough to not open the Yeti's neck.

Hi all.

When we were on holiday in Norway  I got problems to refuel the car. The nozzle tripped just as the tank was full. Took it to another gas station, same problem. I had to take it to a repair shop. It seemed like something has come loose in the filler pipe and stopped the flow. Results: replacement of fuel tank.Price: approx 1400€. The car is a Yeti 1.8 TSI 4x4. Hope that's covered by warranty!  Anyone else heard about this?

I've had this a couple of times in the last 3 years on my 1.8 TSI.  No idea why it happens, but now and I make sure I keep it topped up, just in case!  I assume that Yetis must have some aspect to their filler tube which can cause certain fuel nozzles, under some conditions, to be over sensitive regarding overspill protection. 

There's no doubt that some pumps have the "tank full" click off valve set far too sensitively, so that if it detects any slight degree of back pressure it won't deliver more fuel.

My local Shell filling station lost a lot of business just after it was refurbished because the new pumps had been set incorrectly and people gave up trying to fill up there. Only after lots of complaints did they recalibrate them.

When I've had difficulty in the past, I've then tried another pump and usually found that the car fills ok, so I've put it down to a wrongly set valve in the original pump.

Incidentally, not sure about other versions, but the 1.8TSi 4x4 has a "saddle" tank that sits over the propshaft & exhaust. When you fuel up, the petrol goes into one side & when that's full, it overflows into the other side. If the pump delivers fuel faster than it overflows into the other side, you can get a "tank full" stoppage when you know it's still got plenty of capacity left. This doesn't account for the thing clicking off almost as soon as you start fueling though.