Nov 2013 Amundsen Update Bug

Hi all. I updated my maps over the weekend using the multi part download. Backed up the card, transferred new ones on and then popped it back into the car. It recognized it and loaded it up quite quickly. This morning when I was on my way to work (the first time driving with the new nav), I noticed that none if the road names were showing up. All I had were little black pins for minor roads and the coloured rectangles for the larger roads but no associates text! It does know the names as when I'm stopped, it shows the name (see screen shots) but not in the map itself.

Has anyone ever run into this?

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

I have not done an update yet, but in view of your experience I am tempted to leave it to the dealer when it goes in for service.

Probably too early to know but maybe if you did a backup copy you could reinstall that onto the card.

• Like 1

Nope, my Columbus update went fine, but they are different maps.

Try unpacking the download again using 7zip. Does it give any errors?

Unpack again directly to the card.

Then try again. It looks like a corrupted download or file on the card.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Yes I'm using a mac. Is that a problem?

I have tried downloading the file a few times, always with the same result...

Yes.

The Mac creates a whole load of extra hidden folders on the SD card that causes the Amundsen to not like it. Use a PC or one of the cleanup tools that remove all of the metadata that the Mac creates on the SD card.

Yes.

The Mac creates a whole load of extra hidden folders on the SD card that causes the Amundsen to not like it. Use a PC or one of the cleanup tools that remove all of the metadata that the Mac creates on the SD card.

Ok will give it a go. 

Actually if I remember correctly, the first update I did was using my old system with Linux and that worked ok....

Your download is corrupted.

Delete all traces of your latest download from your Pc and start again (you aren't using a Mac are you?)

Are you formatting your SD card before copying the files across?

Is it important to format the card rather than just deleting the old files from the SD card?

Linux has solved the problem!!

Wow - really think that this is something that Skoda need to have a look at. My old Linux laptop won't hold out for ever!

Thanks for the help.

This Sounds more like something Apple needs to take a look at...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Those little blanks have been bugging me for the last 3 months too!

Just downloaded and run Cleanup SMB over the Skoda Nav SD, put it back in the car and road names now appearing properly :)

Cheers

• Like 1

Formatted my sd card using mac book but have the same issue...

Format it using a pc, then copy the update files onto it whilst still using the pc.

Format it using a pc, then copy the update files onto it whilst still using the pc.

Just realised I flashed the sub partition instead of the root.

Will attempt again before finding a windows laptop...

Just copy the files to the SD from your Mac as normal then download Cleanup SMB (it's free) and allow it to work its magic, job done. No need to use a PC.

• 2 months later...

I used Clean Eject and it worked a treat. It's also free and super easy to use. I didn't even format the card

1: delete the files

2: empty the trash

3: add new files

4: use Clean Eject to safely remove card

http://www.javawa.nl/cleaneject_en.html

NOTE: the eject does take a few minutes, so just leave it alone and it will soon unmount.

On a side note, I personally don't think this is arrogance on Apple's part, but on the part of Sat Nav manufacturers. I mean, honestly, there are millions of Macs sold each year. They should be able to create a system that is compatible with such a popular platform!

• Like 1

Macs might sell good, but only about 8% of the worlds computers run osx.

And do they do make some things unnessecary backwards, like filling a sd card with lots of hidden filed.

At the end of the day you are provided with a perfectly good set of files for the update. If you put only those files on a SD card it works. If your operating system decides to put a load of crap on there as well then why is it the problem of the Sat nav manufacturer that the OS you used has messed it up?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 4