Vrs Tdi - Starting problems?

My TDI vRS also had a similar behaviour, several times in a morning it would start & stall.

On the second restart it was rough for a few seconds but fine afterwards.

Shortly afterwards I had the Boost Pressure Sensor replaced & I've not noticed any problems since although the general temperatures here have increase alot in the last month.

I'm pretty sure all of the CR engines will have a crank & camshaft position sensor.

In that case I would suggest to the OP that the camshaft position sensor may be failing. My local VW independent garage told me that the sensor can play up without necessarily throwing any fault codes. This was certainly the case when my old Octy 2 PD went through a period of several months experiencing very poor starting. It went in phases - sometimes happening only when the engine was hot, other times only when the engine was cold. No fault codes were generated until bingo suddenly one eventually appeared signalling that the sensor was not feeling well. A new sensor then fixed the starting issues. 

BTW the Octy 2 was a recent low mileage model when this happened. It was not age related.  

Edited by Minimoke

Mine happens almost always in "warm".

But it has started to happen (with less intensity and leas frequently) in cold too.

I have sent many videos to my dealer. But I have myself not been able to reproduce it at their site...so they keep saying that there is no way they can fix it until they can reproduce it.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

Several members of the Octy2 forum posted that the symptoms I described suggested it was either the camshaft or crank position sensor beginning to fail but in the absence of a fault code it is a bit of an expensive risk to take a punt on changing either sensor.

From experience I can appreciate how frustrating intermittent starting problems like this can be.

Edited by Minimoke

• 2 months later...

Mine has started doing it and although not regular, when it does happen it seems to be worse than the time before.

Most recently was less than a week ago, it probably cranked for four or five seconds before I turned it off and tried again, second time it fired instantly.

Mine is a DSG so of course you need your foot on the brake to start, don't know if there may be some connection (see what I did there) between them?

Went into the dealer last night and showed them the video. It cranks for 5 seconds before starting.

They hooked the car up to the diagnostics and no fault was found therefore of course there must be nothing wrong with it !

That's two dealers who have shown little or no interest.

Dealer now told me I am using the wrong diesel . This engine requires the better stuff they say .

Not sure about that ?

I'm going to say that's a rubbish excuse! I'm sure all diesel meets a set standard and it should run fine on it. Its not like its an ultra high performance engine is it!

• Like 1

Dealer now told me I am using the wrong diesel . This engine requires the better stuff they say .

Not sure about that ?

What brand diesel are you putting in it, and are the dealer willing to put in writing that 'Insert Brand Here' diesel is not suitable for your engine?

I am sure Shell/Esso/BP whoever would very much like to see a copy of that!

Not sure about that ?

Utter ******.

The first 1,000 miles in my brand new vRS TDi was exclusively done on Shell vPower Diesel (apart from whatever gunk the factory/dealer put in at the start).  On a couple of cold starts, pressing the start button (I have KESSY) has resulted in a second or two of turning over before it catches.  It's only done it two times, and both were early in the morning (approx. 6:15am).  Later morning starts have been fine, so I'm guessing it's just a warming up thing.

In comparison, pressing the start button on my BMW 120d on a cold morning resulted in a couple of seconds pause, with the pre-heat light lit up, followed by the engine starting.  So my guess is that it's nothing more than poor design and the pre-heat happens at the same time as the engine turning over.

If it's turning over for considerably longer (5+ seconds), then personally I would be concerned, but it may well still be nothing.  If it is only for a second or two each time, then personally that wouldn't concern me.  But that's me... your mileage may vary, as they say.

I've noticed this also with mine, mostly when warm or (technically cold) on a very warm day. 2 seconds is the most I've had to wait but she still fires without fail.

I would be inclined to think that it would either be one of those sensors previously mentioned or a drop in / leakage of fuel pressure when at rest. It therefore takes a sec or two to build up the required pressure for fuel injection to occur & allow starting hence engine turnover without ignition (because no fuel is being injected)!

I am taking a note of how often it does it, my wife never noticed when it happened and she was in the hot seat as I asked her immediately. She will keep an ear out for it but isn't remotely interested. Car starts = happy wife!

As for the crap fuel, I did find that my previous DPF equipped cars did not appreciate TESCO / ASDA etc finest diesel so only used normal Shell or BP diesel. No problems with that stuff and as my annual mileage isn't massive it's only a small extra outlay compared to cheaper fuel.

I had a similar issue to this on a Mk 5 Golf I used to own. It would always start on the first crank when cold. But sometimes when warm or hot, it would crank for a few seconds before starting. This was a relatively well know issue with the car. What was happening was when cold, the injectors would fire as soon as the engine cranked, so the engine would immediately start. When hot, the injectors wouldn't fire until the engine was cranking at around 500rpm IIRC. However 'lazy' starter motors sometimes would struggle to get the engine up to this rpm immediately, thus the delay in starting.

Love it how people go the extra mile and pass their local dealer to buy a car all because it's cheaper. Then when it's got a problem their local dealers good enough to fix it. Erm customer loyalty. Sometimes cheaper ain't always the best option. 9 years of skoda n believe me u buy a car from us u get 1st place in the que buy it else ware your car fills a gap. Wrong it may seem but put your self in the dealers shoes. Weight or wrong .. All dealers are the same.

And that, my friend, is why so many dealerships are so badly thought of and lose trade.

Not all dealers are the same - a decent service department wouldn't care less who supplied a car originally .

• Like 2

I have the same starting issue on my 1.6TDI. Only seems to do it in a morning. I'm at 6k miles and it first started (or didn't) a few weeks ago. I know its getting colder/damper so I wait for the glow to go off and have the same hesitant starting. I only ever use Esso/Shell fuel too.

Seems we have a recurring theme here.

How are you starting the car?

On my CR150 you just flick the key round to position 3 and then release it immediately, and the car decides when to engage the starter once the glowplugs have warmed up. Sometimes there is a noticeable pause when it is cold before the starter kicks in.

Are you holding the key in position 3 to engage the starter?

Position 2 then 3 when the glow light is off. However maybe that is old fashioned! I will try the straight to 3 and back to 2 and see if the tech works!

How are you starting the car?

On my CR150 you just flick the key round to position 3 and then release it immediately, and the car decides when to engage the starter once the glowplugs have warmed up. Sometimes there is a noticeable pause when it is cold before the starter kicks in.

Are you holding the key in position 3 to engage the starter?

Hi, I have tried both ways and its the same. It did it again this morning. Dealer told me to call out Skoda assist if it does it again.

So I will.

Regarding the diesel I use . Its gets whatever comes its way , no preference.

• Like 1

Not sure about that ?

For diesel there is no reason why the car shouldn't run perfectly fine with supermarket diesel compared with branded fuel.

Both have to conform to the same a euorpean standard as V6Jules says.

Also UK fuel quality is very good compared to many countries in the world where VAG would sell the exact same engine.

If this weren't the case there would be thousands of supermarket diesel users with the same problem.

For a dealership to suggest this as a reason why the engine is not starting well is nonsense & as Andy V suggest I would ask them to put the in writing!

• Like 1

For diesel there is no reason why the car shouldn't run perfectly fine with supermarket diesel compared with branded fuel.

Both have to conform to the same a euorpean standard as V6Jules says.

Also UK fuel quality is very good compared to many countries in the world where VAG would sell the exact same engine.

If this weren't the case there would be thousands of supermarket diesel users with the same problem.

For a dealership to suggest this as a reason why the engine is not starting well is nonsense & as Andy V suggest I would ask them to put the in writing!

I agree entirely. I have asked the dealer to clarify and confirm there comments regarding diesel quality.

Un-surprisingly they have declined to do so. And the service manager asked me again to call out skoda assist when it does it again. Not sure what they are going to do.

I have found sending Skoda UK a link to a thread often gets the right attention - more so if its not an isolated case. I bought my 2nd Skoda recenty as better the devil you know as SUK did sort out my dealer issues on my MkII. Lets see what they do here as in 3 years it will be new car time again :angel: