Superb II A/C Either Hot or Cold

Hi all,

I have a 2010 Superb Kombi Elegance 140bhp TDI.

In the past couple of months, I've noticed the following. The air conditioning can still chill the bejesus out of the car when the rotary knob is set to LO/18/19. However, at any settings above that e.g. 20/21/22 etc, the blown air is very warm - similar to what you'd expect with the controls set to 27/28. Winding the controls up to 27/28 does not seem to have any impact on the temperature.

I have not had the system regassed as it does seem to be blowing cold.

Anyone seen any similar issues?

Thanks,

Joe

I notice it a little in my new Superb (MY12 model Purchased 2013)

For me it depends on the outside temperature I have the A/C set to 24 most of the time and it is comfortable however if the outside temp is 23-24 the A/C blows a bit too warm, if I set it to 23 it then cools a bit too cold.

Maybe I'm a bit sensitive and need a 23.5deg setting  :sun:

In the past couple of months, I've noticed the following. The air conditioning can still chill the bejesus out of the car when the rotary knob is set to LO/18/19. However, at any settings above that e.g. 20/21/22 etc, the blown air is very warm - similar to what you'd expect with the controls set to 27/28. Winding the controls up to 27/28 does not seem to have any impact on the temperature.

I notice yours is a Mk 1 - maybe you meant to post in the other forum but anyway, I have the same issue with mine and it drives me mad.  There is no in between, it is either artic or sweltering and its not just with the AC.  In normal (non-AC) mode it is the same story.  I have a 2014 model and I also had the same issue in my 2011 model.  Also when the system is completely shut off, there is still cold air blowing through from time to time particularly on the passenger side. I also find it very difficult to keep the front windscreen clear and I have followed exactly what the handbook says but the system does seem to have a mind of its own.

I'm aware that the system in the Superb, when used properly, should maintain the temperature at a constant however I have never managed to achieve this. In fact, since having AC for the first time in an Octavia some years back I've never experienced sustained comfortable temperatures.

Definitely something wrong with the system then. My previous Octavia and current Superb both have no trouble maintaining a steady temperature in the car. My guess is that one of the temperature sensors is malfunctioning in a creative way - if a temperature sensor was stuck registering a constant temperature the system would either blow too hot or too cold depending on whether your setpoint is above or below the temperature it reads.

Not teaching to suck eggs and all that but have you guys made sure the A/C is off. I noticed that the new FL has this option, not so with my Mk1 it was auto all the way.

Why would the A/C need to be off?

My A/C is on at all temperature settings from Lo through to Hi.

Air conditioning is equally effective at removing moisture from warm air as it is cooling warm air.

Hi all,

I have a 2010 Superb Kombi Elegance 140bhp TDI.

I have not had the system regassed as it does seem to be blowing cold.

Anyone seen any similar issues?

Thanks,

Joe

Perhaps you are misunderstanding how the system works,

the temperature setting has nothing to do with what the temperature is of air coming out of the vents. When set to LO then the maximum air conditioning is applied with fans on maximum speed.

Assuming its cold outside and If the temperature in your cabin is lets say 17C or less and you dial in 22C, the system will apply maximum heat output and speed up the fans until the ambient air temperature in the cabin reaches 22C. When the air temperature reaches 22C the fans will slow down and the heat output will be reduced significantly, and just enough heat will be applied to maintain that temperature.

I leave my AC on all year round, its the way that climate control works, you can apply heat to the Air conditioned air, and in damp cold conditions it stops the screen misting up.

• Like 2

Perhaps you are misunderstanding how the system works,

the temperature setting has nothing to do with what the temperature is of air coming out of the vents. When set to LO then the maximum air conditioning is applied with fans on maximum speed.

Assuming its cold outside and If the temperature in your cabin is lets say 17C or less and you dial in 22C, the system will apply maximum heat output and speed up the fans until the ambient air temperature in the cabin reaches 22C. When the air temperature reaches 22C the fans will slow down and the heat output will be reduced significantly, and just enough heat will be applied to maintain that temperature.

I leave my AC on all year round, its the way that climate control works, you can apply heat to the Air conditioned air, and in damp cold conditions it stops the screen misting up.

Exactly. Its the cabin temperature that the Climate system controls and maintains if on Auto, not the temperature at the vents. I've found the system to be very accurate. Mine stays at Auto 22 all year round....

Hi Silver1011,

I understand what you mean. I am also confused as to why the 2014 model allows me to have the climate control set to auto but also allows to to turn off the A/C. Withe weather cooling off now I have found with the cabin set at 21c and the A/C on it is cold, with A/C off it is warm. I am assuming the it could be a fuel saving issue.

With my 2007 superb I simply set it to auto at 18c and forgot about it.

With the weather cooling off now I have found with the cabin set at 21c and the A/C on it is cold, with A/C off it is warm.

Interesting, I'll have to try this in mine...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Thanks for the posts. Apologies for the delay in response, it's been a busy month.

Apologies also if this was posted to the wrong forum - my car is one of the first Superb estates from 2010.

The climate system is not on auto - I don't like the automatic blower strength adjustment so keep things under my own control. In this mode, I would expect a somewhat linear variation in temperature at the vents as the control is adjusted - a/c on or off. It's been like this in my previous Superb I and other cars I've owned (Fords, Subarus, Toyotas etc) with climate control.

However, it definitely sounds like I'm the only one having this issue. Any other inputs appreciated - otherwise I may retire to my local Skoda steeler for a diagnostic session.

Thanks,

Joe

I've never been completely happy with the way mine maintains temperature. I've had it just over two years from new and its always been the same. During the summer months, set at 21 its just the right temperature, unless you switch the AC on. I only switch that on if its really hot (or if its damp and I'm getting misting) but it then tries to freeze me to death. I know the sensor should turn it down when the cabin temperature reaches the set temperature, but it never seems to. I either turn up the set temperature or turn the blower down myself.

On the other hand set at 21, it seems much cooler when its dark, than when its light. So now I'm travelling to work sometimes in the dark, I've noticed it again. If I travel in the light, it seems fine.

There are two sensors that could be affected, the solar sensor and the interior temp sensor, but theres no fault codes for either. So it scans OK, but I'm convinced there's something not right. Almost like the two sensors are swapped so giving screwy readings. Can't see that as a one off though.

Unless I'm missing something on my Superb combi, then I too also have issues, take tonight for instance, my wife was cold so I set the temp on the N/S to 22 degrees, and set the O/S to "low", but whilst driving I noticed that the O/S was no where near as cold as I was expecting, I found that at the centre face level vents warm air was coming out of both vents, when, if I assume correctly, they are separate, and should have different air temperatures coming from them if the dual temps are set differently, this was with the air con off, it did go a little colder with the air con on, but not to the extent I would expect, the outside temp at the time was approx 11 degrees,

I have checked for fault codes with VCDS, but none are present, is there an adaption that can be done ?

Sent from Richies iPad

I did not think that you could ask the system to do that even when you set it as the variation is too great. I thought that the variation was usually just a few degrees, 2-4?