Bushes

Prasg

My son has had our old fabia vrs for 5 years - it is now10 years old. I have been a member of this forum for a long time but at the moment do not have a Skoda (though have had 6 various ones in the past).

I would be pleased if someone would give advice:

Clicking sound from near the front wheels when going slowly round corners. Had it for over a year. This is the crux - a local (non-Skoda) garage has told him it is the bushes (sorry can't be more specific) and if he wanted them doing, the parts are cheap but  it would be a very long job as the engine has to come out.

Is this true? He hasn't got much money and is reluctant to go and get it looked at another garage because of the cost of just looking. He does not live near me so I haven't seen them.

Thanks for any advice. I did a search but as it is not specific it is difficult to know if the posts are relevant.

Not sure which bushes you mean. Console? Anti-roll bar?  Nevertheless, the engine most certainly does not have to come out to do them. That is total rubbish!

The description of a clicking noise sounds more like a worn CV joint to me.

• Like 1

Not sure which bushes you mean. Console? Anti-roll bar?  Nevertheless, the engine most certainly does not have to come out to do them. That is total rubbish!

This ^^.

Thanks both of you for those thoughts and reinforcing my suspicions.

There have also been some squeaks.

Quick question. If this has like this for a long time, is it getting dangerous? I realise it is a guess.

Edited by Prasg

Thanks both of you for those thoughts and reinforcing my suspicions.

There have also been some squeaks.

Quick question. If this has like this for a long time, is it getting dangerous? I realise it is a guess.

Anything at all wrong with your cars suspension is potentially dangerous, ask your local MOT station to test it if in doubt.

I had a bearing go on my old car, and when it was being replaced the CV joint split in half due to the wear on it...

id defny spend the few quid to find out if its bad, rather than finding out the hard, much more expensive way... on the side of the road at 3am, as is always the case with this kinda thing...

I had a bearing go on my old car, and when it was being replaced the CV joint split in half due to the wear on it...

id defny spend the few quid to find out if its bad, rather than finding out the hard, much more expensive way... on the side of the road at 3am, as is always the case with this kinda thing...

you sound like your speaking from experience ? 

you sound like your speaking from experience ? 

THankfully not, but it was an unexpected addon to the bill for the bearing change...

and when i saw the state of the old one vs the new one.... if it had decided it was snapping while driving to/from work, probly at night, it wouldve been a proper pain in the back passage!

My thoughts too

The cv drive / drives may have dried up and the bearings started to click and clink together. The rubber protective 'skirt' is bound to rot over time too.

JRJG

Prasg, does your son live in the West Midlands? I only ask because I had a non skoda garage here tell me the exact same thing, when I went to get a new front tire last year. they said my tire wear was down to my bushes, and they just happened to have some in stock,

I went over to the mot centre my dads mate works at and he said there was absolutely nothing wrong with them!

When he changed the tires werenthe part worn or brand new? Same thing happnd to me and changed a few bushes on a mk4 golf and later found out the tread on the tire was even so it wasnt sitting on the road properly and was makin a clicking sound which then developed to a knocking sound....

Prasg, does your son live in the West Midlands? I only ask because I had a non skoda garage here tell me the exact same thing, when I went to get a new front tire last year. they said my tire wear was down to my bushes, and they just happened to have some in stock,

I went over to the mot centre my dads mate works at and he said there was absolutely nothing wrong with them!

Not in the West Midlands. Sheffield.

A while back there was some squeaking round corners but he says that noise is rarer. Just clicking now. Thanks for your comment, though.

Not in the West Midlands. Sheffield.

A while back there was some squeaking round corners but he says that noise is rarer. Just clicking now. Thanks for your comment, though.

Can you find out the name of the garage / its location so I can avoid like the plague please?

• 4 weeks later...

He eventually went to have it checked today. CV joints (as guessed by members - thanks) and uneven brake wear/contact. Joints not dangerous and brakes to be done next MOT time - May.

This garage spent time checking and discussing with my son whilst he was checking it out and showing him the problems.... and didn't charge him anything. He doesn't want me to say which the 'bad' garage was in an earlier post, but this one today was recommended to him and was a Mr Clutch (Sheffield)

Wait half a year to improve a car's brakes, after identifying a deficiency? I wouldn't.

Easy tiger, OP didn't mention the brakes, just the 'clicking' CV joints which aren't unsafe. The garage just covering their arse, the problems clearly don't require urgent attention and as the OP stated his son is skint.

As long as the car is safe then all's well.