Disable ESP VCDS hack

merik

Hi Everybody

I’m new to this forum. I currently own an 07 Audi A4 Quattro but am considering the Yeti (FL version) to be my next car. However, not being able to fully disable the ESP is kind of a deal breaker for me. I found this VCDS hack online, originally developed for the US-spec 2012 Golf R.

http://carsareweapons.com/golfR.html

But….apparently this guy on Youtube got it working on a Octavia Mk2 and claims it works on all A5 platform cars, which includes the Yeti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o8upvKQYho

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_A_platform#A5_.28PQ35.29

I have access to VCDS but no Yeti to try it on. Has anyone here had any success with this, or dare trying? :-)

Thanks!

/Erik

• Like 1

Your are correct briskycat, I just want to have a bit of fun in the snow. :-) Its not that I want to disable it always (its definitely a great safety feature), just on demand when driving on frozen lakes, lonely country roads, empty parking lots and so on. :-) If this hack works, a long press on the ESP button turns it of completey. Press it again and everything is back to normal, no harm done!

• Like 2

Just fed my current coding to the script and got this:

91 3F 40 0E 09 22 01 FA 89 0D 02 EA 90 22 80 49 35 08 00 -- Original Coding

91 3F 40 0E 09 22 80 FA 89 0D 02 EA 90 22 01 49 35 08 00 -- New Coding

which seems odd given that:

For changing the coding without the script, follow the directions below:

USING VCDS:

1. "Select Control Module"

2. Select "03 - ABS Brakes"

3. Select "Coding - 07"

4. Copy & Paste your long coding into a text editor

5. Change the byte 6 number from "0" to "8"

6. Change the byte 14 number from "0" to "1" (If you have a 2012+ TDI, do not make this change)

this is from my VCDS diagnostics log:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb

Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 BJ HW: 1K0 907 379 BJ

Component: ESP MK60EC1 H31 0121

Revision: 00H31001

Coding: 913F400E092201FA890D02EA90228049350800

Shop #: WSC 33361 790 00999

VCID: 7BFFF519FA67F2C6CE5-802E

No fault code found.

Edited by briskycat
  • Like 1

I agree, that seems a bit odd. I had a quick look at the webpage source code and the script seems to do a lot more than just change two digits, but I'm no expert on html and javascript. Another (or same) script is also available on this page:

http://www.goapr.com/support/esp-defeat.html

I entered your original coding there and this came out:

91 3F 40 0E 09 22 81 FA 89 0D 02 EA 90 22 81 49 35 08 00

....which corresponds to the manual directions on the first page.....I'm confused.

This thread on vwvortex pretty much explains it all:

The hack seems to work on all cars with the following ABS module (same as yours briskycat):

Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 BJ HW: 1K0 907 379 BJ

Component: ESP MK60EC1 H31 0121 

Revision: 00H31001

Question is, does all Yetis, including the 2014+ FL, have the same ABS module version?

Briskycat, if you decide to try this, let me know if it works please. :-)

I once got my Haldex Gen II Octavia Scout stuck inbetween two deep snow filled ridges.

I tried everything to get it out, gently rocking back and forth, second gear start etc. etc.

I was almost about to admit defeat and get out and dig but thought I'd see what turning off the ESP would do.

I'm not sure if pressing the button disables the system altogether but what ever happened the car drove straight out!

Briskycat, if you decide to try this, let me know if it works please. :-)

Alright, I'll give it a go this or next week. I don't have a maxidot display unfortunately, but I hope I'll be able to see if ESP turns off.

Page 34 of my manual States "the ESP system cannot be switched off, only the TCS system can be switched off by pressing the (ESP) button".

• Like 1

Erik, I've tested you mod at last. It works like a charm! :) Normally everything - ABS, ASR and ESP, is enabled. Short press on the "ASR-off" button disables ASR, but not ESP. Press it again and everything turns back on again. Long press (about 5 seconds; I tried 3 and that was not enough) on the "ASR-off" button disables both ASR and ESP. But, I must say, even with ESP disabled the Yeti feels stable and predictable. I had to wait for today's snowfall to test it properly and make sure that ESP really turns off after a long press (I also had a suspicion that the mod permanently disables ASR, but it turned out it doesn't). It was great fun!

• Like 3

Interesting.

Can't see any downsides to doing this; if normal and "ASR off" modes are still available as usual, the long press option just gives you an extra thing to try if you get really stuck ?

Or am I missing something ?

I did it manually, like it is quoted in the post #9 (but using the long coding helper instead of copying/pasting/etc). In other words, you need to change the most significant bit in the byte 6 and the least significant bit in the byte 14 - set both to 1.

P.S. My current coding is what Erik suggested in the post #10.

Edited by briskycat

With a potential dumping of snow coming next week, I thought I'd have a go at this in case I happened to find myself in a deserted, snow-covered car park at any point.

It wouldn't accept the coding though.

My original long coding:

963F600E092701FE691206EB901E808A350800

Coding suggested by the APR site:

963F600E092781FE691206EB901E818A350000

I tried:

963F600E092780FE691206EB901E818A350800

and

963F600E092781FE691206EB901E818A350800

but no joy.

This is a 2011 MY CR170 4x4.

Although I'm away from the car now, I do remember that the part no. of my ABS module ended "BE", not "BJ" like in post #11.

Wonder if that's the reason.

Any other ideas ?

Although I'm away from the car now, I do remember that the part no. of my ABS module ended "BE", not "BJ" like in post #11.

Wonder if that's the reason.

Probably. The 963F600E092781FE691206EB901E818A350000 coding should have been accepted otherwise.

Mine was produced at the end of 2011 but it is a 2012 MY one.

Just want to say many thanks for this one folks. I fed my 1.4 TSI VCDS output into the generator mentioned above: http://carsareweapons.com/golfR.html and it was immediately accepted and works like a charm.

Chatting to a friend who is a VAG mechanic he pointed out that on the other VAG cars which come with this feature enabled even when the ESP is put into the 'off' state it is not truly disabled rather it just makes the stability system far less sensitive.....although I probably won't test this myself it may be good for others to know :-)

• Like 1