Cockpit Creaks and rattles

My Superb has became very creaky internally.  I found that the biggest cause is from the surround to the transmission tunnel which I have fixed by wedging my bag of iOS device cables up the side however there are more creates from the Passenger side glove box and the instrument cluster.  Anyone encountered this and do you have any fixes?

The creaking in the centre console is sometimes the gear lever surround. I've made it disappear for weeks by just pushing down along the front edge of this panel, which takes about 3 seconds. If you have a panoramic sunroof you can get really intrusive creaks and rattles from it that sound like they come from the passenger door - they also disappear for weeks if you open the roof one click and close it again. Using rubber treatment on the seals every month or two is also a good ideal for this and for door creaks (Though the Superb is stiff enough that I've never noticed the doors moving enough on the seals to creak).

The vent by the passenger door is a common source of rattles that sound like they're from the glovebox/passenger door - pop the cover visible when the door is open off the side of the dashboard and push the vent out from behind. Add a thin strip of foam under the bottom edge of the vent to make it fit more tightly and replace. Watch that you don't strain the wires to the backlight on the vent when it's out though. I'm getting some creaks in the dashboard when the car twists/untwists over undulating road, which has been a feature of every car I've had, but is more noticeable in the Superb because it's so quiet otherwise and a springing noise in the driver's door that's got a lot louder since the window regulator was replaced, so I'll be taking that off and packing some foam into that too - pressing my elbow into the door above the middle of the armrest silences this, so I have a pretty good idea where to put the foam, though I'll try tightening the bolts in the armrest first just in case this is the problem...

• Like 1

There are a handful of creaks and rattles that nearly all of us seem to encounter.  Psycholist has covered some of them above with some good fixes that do actually work BTW - I agree with the rubber treatment on the door seals and that very annoying passenger vent rattle.  I've had that one on both Superbs!  Sometimes the passenger side rattles can also be from the glovebox itself.  There is a degree of adjustment that can be done with the closing mechanism.  I have also placed a small thin strip of adhesive down one side of the glovebox to provide more padding when you push it closed.  Seems to work for me.  The weather (hot versus cold) does impact as well

So, I removed the side bits from the transmission tunnel and ran velcro straps along its edge before sliding back up to the underside of the gearbox plastics.  Also gave all edges a good spray with silicone spray.  I removed the passenger vent, lined the foam with a layer of velcro and placed back in.  Transmission tunnel creaks are now cured however it isn't the passenger vent that was creaking for me.  I took it out and drove to confirm this.  My culprit is the panel you'd remove to push out the air vent.  I have removed this and the car is creak free.  Any ideas how to cure this creak from the panel when I put it back in?

I had what I thought was the passenger side vent creak.

The Skoda mechanic asked me to drive him around the block and he was able to determine that it was the silver strip that runs along the front face of the dash above the glovebox.

Hard plastic against soft touch dashboard = squeak.

He popped off the trim, added some small strips of material and replaced the trim, the squeak has gone.

30,000 miles since and several more rattles have developed though!

I had that annoying creak from the front passenger side and couldn't trace it but went away for a while if I pressed in the glove box lid. Then I went to access the fusebox to yank the fuse for the headlamp washers which were draining my washer bottle at an alarming rate. I mistakenly removed the passenger side dash end panel but once I'd replaced it the creak disappeared!

Well, i've now resolved all my creaks.  The side panel to dash at passenger side refitted with adhesive velcro pads (soft side) dotted around all over it.  Gummi Pfledge around rubber to passenger door where it meets the panel too.  That was easy!

• Like 1

It'll be back!

I did the same as a first fix. Thought I had it nailed, it came back after a few thousand miles. Since the silver trim was padded out it's stayed away... for now at least!

Hopefully yours is more permanent!

Well I have had the passenger vent area creak, especially when it is cold outside and you have the heater on.  Just prised off the silver panel and put kitchen towel under it so will see tonight if that resolves it.  If not then I will get some material to dampen.

Pushing the glove box, pressing the trim, removing and refitting the side cover all seem to cure the problem for a short time.

Probably because all these things are so close to the culprit that any movement close by affects it.

My creaks have never come back since this cure,

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/306842-squeaky-vent-surround/?p=3743511

Pushing the glove box, pressing the trim, removing and refitting the side cover all seem to cure the problem for a short time.

Probably because all these things are so close to the culprit that any movement close by affects it.

My creaks have never come back since this cure,

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/306842-squeaky-vent-surround/?p=3743511

So is your vent now effectively "glued" in place?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to get the pledge out . It's a lot more squeaky than my mondeo

Agreed. I had two mk4 mondeos and there wasn't a cheep from either of them. Very reliable too. Good cars.