Superb hunting - Herts and beyond

Morning! I did my research, decided that the Octavia was the car for us.... and then my wife sat in a Superb.

So, we're on the hunt for a Superb. Looking at up to the £12K mark, preferably estate, and I'd like to go for something with decent spec, so Elegance is looking preferable - apart from anything else, if we can pick something up with park assist it may be of help to my wife!

We're not going to do massive miles, so diesel isn't an imperative. Still trying to get my head round what's worth looking out for, and what bits are extras etc.

So far I have been looking at the following:

1 - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503272096956

(black TDI140 100k on the clock

2 - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201504102488048

(Grey TSI1.8 46K on the clock)

3 - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201504022292447

(white, TDI140 100k)

4 - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201503061493424

(grey TDI170, 60k)

My wife's a bit concerned about 100K mileages, but I get the impression that this isn't too much of an issue?

Anyone already been to look at any of these cars? Any other thoughts, gotchas?

Richard

Number Four looks in pretty good condition? Got Park Assist, the newer model Columbus, the rail storage system in the back and I think it has an electric tailgate too?

Oh yeah, the torque on the 170 is great! Whoosh! LOL!

• Like 1

Number 4 does have front sensors, its a requirement for park assist which it does have along with the electric tailgate.

If you look by the front wheel you can just make out the side parking sensor.

• Like 1

Yes, 4 looks nice, but a shame it looks like it doesn't have the front parking sensors.

It does, picture 8 shows the front sensor. Also visible in first picture.

I'll take door number 4 Richard!

Looks like a good choice, sweet engine, pretty colour, nice options (self parking does indeed mean front + rear sensors), electric boot (I have it on mine, it's a very nice toy!)

Testdrive time! :notme:

Edited by Too Tall

Ooo - thanks folks - I'd not spotted the mention of self parking, which I realise means the front sensors - I was squinting at the pics on a laptop last night so didn't spot them. I also didn't spot the reference to park assist in the description :dull:

Certainly didn't spot it has the electric boot - mate of mine has an A6 Avant and loves that feature.

Just called up. It doesn't have full Skoda service history - they have checked with Skoda and they only have one service logged on their network, although the car says it's due in 12000 miles, so it has obviously been "done" by someone, but who knows who and what.

When is the timing belt due for a change - isn't that around the 4 year mark? I think it would be safe to say it's not been done. I assume that's not too major a job - or less of a job than chains. Am I right in thinking the water pump is recommended to change at the same time as well?

Other things to look out for? I think I can assume the sat nav won't have been updated.

Michelin tyres on. At this mileage not the original set. Cars with Michelin tyres on are either company cars which means they've been serviced or personally owned by someone who's not afraid to spend money on their car which means serviced. Personally from my experiences of dealer servicing they are nothing special and a non dealer service record wouldn't concern me so long as the oil had been replaced with the right stuff. If there are stamps in the book phone the garage and ask them about oil for a superb TDI and gauge their response. Also get a look at the log book and get the last owners name and address. If their number is in the phone book give them a call or even knock their door if they're close by....might be happy to chat about it. Worst case scenario they'll tell you to clear off.

Oh if it says due in 12k that means it's on variable servicing and indicator can only be reset by diagnostic computer, so serviced by someone who knows what they're at. Also expect probably 3 previous services at 18, 36 and 54k meaning next due at 72 k. If this is the case car hasn't been continually thrashed or used for just short runs so DPF should be in good nick.

Worth checking under the bumper for hidden towbar (electrics socket swings down, swan knock in the foam Jack holder inside spare wheel if it's got one).

Edited by Stinker

Thanks - that's really helpful.

Apparently no log book with the car, so hard to know who has  serviced it - but as you say it's been set by diagnostic then that's a comfort.

Hi there

I have just been through all this, wanted a petrol and ended up with one (elegance, 4x4, 1.8).  The 4x4 adds on cost - however there aren't that many petrols and I needed it in a hurry.  Price paid was £12.5k, 11 plate, 30k miles, full Skoda history, from a dealership, with 12 month warranty on everything.

I would steer away from high mileages and cars with an incomplete service history.  Your budget allows you to do this - I note that your £12k is 'up to' but still, this allows you quite a bit.  However judging from your links I think you could narrow down a bit more.  You have models with the 140 and 170bhp engines (are you bothered which you want?), and petrols and diesels.  If you don't want diesel, don't pay for it, and if you don't want a 170, don't pay for that either.

All the elegance trims come with all the bells and whistles.  The only thing I think mine would have benefited from (which doesn't come standard) is the front parking sensors.  You can't see the front of a superb from the driving seat. Having said that it's not a must have, you'll get used to it. 

Good luck.

Thanks for that. Indeed, not too bothered about which engine we end up with, but as you say, there aren't too many petrols around. Agree re the front sensors being useful.

Just been up to see that car #4. The garage selling it has had it for a month or so. They bought it at auction - it had come from Lex Autoleasing in Birmingham, so I guess they may have handled the servicing themselves. I confirmed that it is on the variable service scheme. The official service that was done was at 30k odd. The garage has offered to recharge the aircon, refurb the alloys (one a bit scuffed), and also change the cambelt, and also drop the price by £250.

It drove nicely, no creaks and rattles. No tow bar, nor spare wheel.

Edited by tifertwo

if they do all the above work including the cambelt kit with tensioner etc and water pump,then It looks like a reasonable deal.

Make sure they have the receipts for the above work before parting with any cash.

Good luck.

The garage have tried that, and have had no joy, apparently - which does seem a touch odd.

Yes, that's utter rubbish. Lex will have the history in their maintenance system. I don't think they've tried that hard, if at all. Tell them its a deal-breaker without it. No one should sell a car this young without a SH of some type... those days of the London Road, Croydon, dodgy car fronts have gone; as a Blue Oval dealer, they should know better and try harder.....

• Like 1

No, I called Lex - they looked up the reg for me, and it's not on their systems. The person I spoke to did say they remove them from their service history systems once sold on.

No, I called Lex - they looked up the reg for me, and it's not on their systems. The person I spoke to did say they remove them from their service history systems once sold on.

That's not true, they will have all the service history with a vehicle that is on a fully maintained lease with them, so it was probably on 36m rental without maintenance. Given there is no SH, the customer would've been whacked with a £1000+ penalty for no service book and sold for less through the block.

I walked away from #4 - they wouldn't negotiate any further on price, and were only offering a 3 month warranty, which given the uncertain servicing history made be a bit uncomfortable.

The search continues!

Good man walking away from a deal when your guts are saying no. I know all to well how difficult it can be when you've got your eye on a car and your brain is telling you no, but your heart is saying yes.

Onto the next one! :)

i have a 2010 1.8tsi elegance with park assist and all toys incl front and rear heated seats, sat nav. Full skoda service history and 51k miles. We had a new cylinder head and timing chain replaced 8 months ago by skoda main dealer with balance of warranty left. Replaced the battery today.

car is in north london / Barnet

I'm never too sure whether to worry about mileage, my Superb has just had it's 1'st MOT a 17099 miles, I suppose when we do sell it I'll have to convince any prospective buyers that we just don't use our cars very much!

DC