That VAG 2.0L engine issue !

Thinking of changing Santa Fe for a Skoda Mk II.   Already have been driving Superb MkI for past 11 years and at 260K I have no intention of changing that car.

Question is I have seen several people with A6s,  Passats,  around 2005 - 2008  that have serious problems with injectors and clutches, flywheels etc.  Garage man tells me the 2.0L Audi, VWs  from that era is a car to avoid.

Question is did these problems extend to the superb or because the Mk II came out in 2008 did it avoid being lumped with this peice of **** engine?  ( I did look at one 2008 Mk II that had an engine replacement done so my alarm bells started ringing )

If your budget swings it, I'd try to get a Common Rail Superb. These were launched from MY2010 onwards I believe. Engine codes for the 2.0 TDi are CFHC, CFJA, CFFB. 3 letter engine codes are the "older" Pumpe Duse engines.

The older BKD, BMP, BKP, BMM engines are the older PD 2.0 TDi's, if you want to avoid them.

• Like 1

Any Pump Duse (PD) injector engine with a diesel particle filter (DPF) should be avoided. That engine wasn't designed to work with the filter, which lead to often expensive issues as a result of sticking one on anyway. The PD170 engine (Not sure the Superb got this, but a friend's VRS Octavia has one) also has injector issues as it was a hybrid of the PD system (Cam shaft driven piston to inject fuel to each cylinder) with the VW group's first go at piezoelectric common rail style injectors (Designed to inject fuel multiple times per cylinder combustion event, PD engines inject twice per combustion event).

The Superb 11 got the CR 170 diesel straight from the start in 2008. The 140 diesel was a PD unit at the start. As far as I recall the PD unit went on until model year 2010 when the 140 was changed to a CR.

• Like 1

Exactly, 170CR all the way through in the Superb II. In the early days it made so much more sense to go for a 170 if you were after something more powerful than a GL. The 140 CR came in around March or so in 2011

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, 170CR all the way through in the Superb II. In the early days it made so much more sense to go for a 170 if you were after something more powerful than a GL. The 140 CR came in around March or so in 2011

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine is an October 2010 built CR140. ;)

I think  you mean March 2010?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0koda_Superb#Engines_2

• Like 1

Thanks folks for posts.  So can I defo say that a 2011 superb is a Common Rail type system?  This is the car I am looking at.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201504232862147/sort/default/fuel-type/diesel/make/skoda/postcode/bt457rs/channel/cars/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/maximum-age/up_to_4_years_old/model/superb/keywords/elegance/radius/80/page/1/usedcars?logcode=p

Not sure if the forum allows posting links.  If not the exact make is "Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI CR DPF Elegance 5dr"

I take it the CR implies Common Rail?

Yep it has Luna alloys not Themisto alloys.

One of the twindoors I was going to look at had the Luna alloys.... I quite like them as they are rarer than the usual Themisto alloys and look that bit different.

If you can stretch, Jimmy. my 2012/12 2.0tdi 4x4 Elegance twindoor is for sale in the classified's section...

Are these PD engines the one with the oil pump drive problems?

No the superb pd engines didnt have oil pump issues, the engine you are talking about was fitted only to the superb 1 and the engine code was BSS it was also fitted with a "wet DPF system" with a tank fitted under the spare wheel area, Rubbish engine.

• Like 1

correct bss 2 ltr  6 sp box    engine has the issue with oil pump hex drive a shaft drive that was bad design.  not 1.9  had one from 2006 sold at 31000  shaft went at over 40000  onwards and you had no indication until warning light came on  then got new mk2 in 13 .super car