Long life variable servicing, can I change?

Hi guys,

I've got a Octavia VRS TDi CR, 6 days off being 2010 so we'll say 2010 ;)

I've had it just over a week now and love it, BUT....

Having had many high performance turbod cars in the past, Evo's, STi etc, I know that turbos fail of the oil is old and dirty.

The car is on and always has been on Quantem long life oil as supplied by the dealers but I have never heard of this make before owning this car and do not like the idea of dropping the oil every 30k miles. I like to every 10-15k.

Can I change to something like a diesel VAG approved oil such as Castrol Edge 5W 30?

Or what else is there that I could use for short interval changes?

Thanks

The Variable Service Interval for the Oil & Filter change is not at 30,000 miles even with Long Life III Oil.

Do the OIl change any time sooner that you want, every 10,000 miles and still use the correct VW Spec Long Life Oil.

Nobody is making you do Variable Flexible Oil & Filter changes.

Quantum is vag approved. If you put your car into Skoda for a service that's the oil they'll use. I've just bought all my service stuff yesterday and for 5 litres of the quantum longlife iii 5w 30 it was just under £28 from TPS. Great value imho. I used this oil on my previous car a mk1 octavia vrs and the engine was great didn't use much between services. As for the 20k intervals, i agree with you. I'll be changing mine every year even though my car has been on 20k intervals by its previous owner. I'm pretty sure when you reset the service indicator it reverts to 12 months or 10k miles automatically. If you want the longer interval you'll need to either get your dealer to set it or do it by plugging the car into vagcom.

Isn't Quantum oil manufactured by Castrol?

Quantum is just VAG's branding for their own approved parts, they dont make the oil themselves

Maybe is buddy not too sure. The op asked if he could swap to something like castrol edge as he'd never heard of quantum so either will do if its all the same. I knew vag didn't make the oil but i didn't know it was castrol.

My 2010 (petrol) vRS is on variable service and does about 16k between changes. I think the max is 19k anyway. I think it's 30k km, not miles.

I use quantum as a top up between services. It's what my local (5 mile away) vw dealership supplied when i found myself short when needing a topup. No idea if the skoda dealer puts in a brand when they service it.

I recently bought a 5l can from cardiff audi via ebay for £27 delivered - better than the £12/l the vw dealer charges....

My car has been on variable since I got it - services ahve varied between 15k and 19k (first one).

I check the oil monthly and top-up where required with VAG approved oils - saying that, on average I top-up around 1L between services, my car just drinks no oil at all.

IIRC its the same low ash oil spec whether the car is on fixed or variable service. If the OP isn't doing mostly high milage motorway driving the fixed option is the one to go for IMO

That's brilliant, good to know. Think I'll put in some Castrol Edge 5W 30 when I get to 10k miles on the current oil.

She's just had new boots today all round, dove away with the Event and Nexens that were on it as it was a car for 'pootling' around town by its last lady owner.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Aysmetric 2's, had them on my 330d and 335d, loved them!!

Whatever oil you decide to go for just make sure it lists the VW 507.00 specification on the label.

This type of oil is needed for all DPF equipped diesels.

That's brilliant, good to know. Think I'll put in some Castrol Edge 5W 30 when I get to 10k miles on the current oil.

She's just had new boots today all round, dove away with the Event and Nexens that were on it as it was a car for 'pootling' around town by its last lady owner.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Aysmetric 2's, had them on my 330d and 335d, loved them!!

Totally off topic so apologies but how does the Octavia compare with the two beemer diesels you've owned in terms of performance/fuel economy?

I use Shell Helix Ultra 507.00 spec (approx £32 for 5 litres) and change the oil and filter (OEM) every 5000 miles. 60,000 miles on it now and expect to keep it for a long time yet. Was 8 months old with 11,000 miles when we got it. Best car ever - traded in a crap 4 yr old Jag for it.

• 1 month later...

Totally off topic so apologies but how does the Octavia compare with the two beemer diesels you've owned in terms of performance/fuel economy?

To be honest mate, both the BMW's were M Sports on standard M suspension, one a 330d and the other a 335d and prior to remapping, both were miles ahead of the CR in terms of performance and handling and the 330d even comes very close and if not on par with the CR 170's mpg, the 335d when remapped was returning 47 mpg. 

The BMW I enjoyed most was the 330d as it was a car that I spent a fair few weeks in on my advanced driving course and found it very chuckable with bags of grip and very progressive on the limit with a pretty elastic rev range that was so flexible, I really couldnt write anything that could explain how good they are if driven well, you really should try them!

Sorry for the very late reply, I dont seem to get email notifications for some reason....

I change the oil and filter every 5000 miles. I use Shell Helix Ultra 507.00 and genuine filters. Just coming up for 64000 miles and no issues so far.

They key is to keep it clean. Changing the oil regularly will keep it clean, no need for engine flush etc. The oil isn't too expensive and doing it myself saves quite a bit. I also know exactly what's put in and that the filter is done. I like footering about with the cars and my bike so its money and time well spent.

Isnt every 5k a bit ott?

I personaly do mine every 10k but always include a fuel filter at each seevice

It depends where / how you drive, how much it costs & how long you intend to keep the car.

I do 80% motorway driving and mostly long trips.  I've done used oil analysis at 15,000km on 504/507 oil and it tested like new.  If I didn't intend keeping the car a long time or I was paying dealer rates I'd probably just change it at 15k klm and be happy.  As it is, I DIY  and intend keeping the car forever so I do the oil & filter every 7500km.  It costs me an hour of my time & a couple of hours pay for the parts and I get to drink beer at the end as a reward for a job well done.  There's also a certain sense of superiority as the passing parade of neighbours look on in wonder at somebody who is brave enough to attempt working on a modern car :p

• Like 2

I do sometimes think the looks i get from passing motorists they've never seen a trolley jack before!! I also get a warm feeling knowing i havnt paid extortionate prices for labour for shoddy workmanship ( my main skoda dealer ). I also get to drink beer as payment!!

• Like 1

Isnt every 5k a bit ott?

I personaly do mine every 10k but always include a fuel filter at each seevice

If you do mainly long runs it probably is a bit OTT. If you mainly do short runs (and it's a keeper) it's probably well worth it.

Mark

We will keep it until it dies. Great car. The wife does a bit of town driving in it and it gets a good cruise up to the highlands and down to the borders now and then. Doesn't take long to change the oil and pottering about on the vehicles is a bit of R&R for me so its worth doing.