Carista/Elm 327

Presumably because WiFi takes more power than Bluetooth.

I guess so but on other forums people have said they used the same dongle with the engine off. Likely it is the one I bought is a later version.

You could always buy Carista's own dongle that does both WiFi and Bluetooth.

The Carista dongle was not available in Europe when I looked and the shipped from USA price was too high. They did say they were trying to set up a deal with Amazon UK, which I see is now available. I believe it is around £31 though. 

• Like 1

I guess so but on other forums people have said they used the same dongle with the engine off. Likely it is the one I bought is a later version.

The Carista dongle was not available in Europe when I looked and the shipped from USA price was too high. They did say they were trying to set up a deal with Amazon UK, which I see is now available. I believe it is around £31 though. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Carista-Adapter-iPhone-iPad-Android/dp/B00YVHGTBM/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1444131811&sr=1-1&keywords=carista+obd2

That one? Why is it so much more expensive than the £5-10 ones on eBay?

Could be because it uses the latest bluetooth 4 LE (required for apple devices) as well as bluetooth 2.1 (for Android) plus it is their own design so can command a premium price as it is guaranteed to work with their app. You can use other makes with wifi for Apple, for a third of the price.

The Carista dongle is a bit more than I really wanted to pay,I've contacted scores of suppliers of the cheaper ones but none of them can guarantee that they will work fully with the Carista app,I guess I either take pot luck or invest in the genuine Carista dongle.Ispecifically want it to be able to add any or as many enhancements as possible.

The Carista dongle is a bit more than I really wanted to pay,I've contacted scores of suppliers of the cheaper ones but none of them can guarantee that they will work fully with the Carista app,I guess I either take pot luck or invest in the genuine Carista dongle.Ispecifically want it to be able to add any or as many enhancements as possible.

This is the one I purchased for use with my iPhone 5C http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111706812531#ht_2301wt_966 and it works fine on my Mk2 Fabia Monte Carlo Tech Black Edition.

Yeah the carista dongle + app is going to £46, so that's what you've got to beat basically.

I specifically want it to be able to add any or as many enhancements as possible.

The dongle is only communications; the app is the thing that sets what you can do. The dongle I used (see post #4) plus app allowed me to make most changes in the list and was only limited by the modules in my particular model/year of car - such as those requiring Auto lighting switch.

I would say use a cheap dongle for Android or the one I bought if you have Apple devices.

Might give this one a go and report back

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111088326026?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have about £5 in play store credit, so Carista will only cost me a tenna.

Make sure you select to actually use the credit, and not your credit card. I had 15 quid credit on my play store account when I bought carista, but ended up paying in full on my credit card. Doh :P
  • Like 1

I think the crux of the matter here is that the bluetooth versions, for use with Android devices are the ones that may or may not work. The dongles for Apple devices using wi-fi seem to work pretty much for anyone who tries it. Therfore statements that confirm that the app works for someone, who states that it's an iPhone tend to be a bit misleading.

FWIW I have an ebay one described as:

"ELM327 Super Mini V2.1 OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter Auto OBDII Scanner Torque Android"

Although this works with Torque (not sure of its accuracy, but that's another matter), Carista throws up the device error as others have found. I'm waiting on one of these, which (based on the feedback) seem to operate with Carista:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UR5BRZU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Once I've tried it I'll feedback. It would be nice for all to be able to order something that is known to work with Android/Bluetooth, albeit at a little more cost, that trying the plethora of versions on Ebay that have a seemingly random success rate.

Edited by nickgpfc
  • Like 1

I think the crux of the matter here is that the bluetooth versions, for use with Android devices are the ones that may or may not work. The dongles for Apple devices using wi-fi seem to work pretty much for anyone who tries it. Therfore statements that confirm that the app works for someone, who states that it's an iPhone tend to be a bit misleading.

"ELM327 Super Mini V2.1 OBD2 Bluetooth Adapter Auto OBDII Scanner Torque Android"

Although this works with Torque (not sure of its accuracy, but that's another matter), Carista throws up the device error as others have found. I'm waiting on one of these, which (based on the feedback) seem to operate with Carista:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UR5BRZU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Once I've tried it I'll feedback. It would be nice for all to be able to order something that is known to work with Android/Bluetooth, albeit at a little more cost, that trying the plethora of versions on Ebay that have a seemingly random success rate.

BTW, the Amazon one is the one listed by Spannaz (post #21).

So credit goes to him if it works, (mock) anger if it doesn't! :D

Edited by nickgpfc

• 1 month later...

Well after a considerable wait it arrived, in fact two of them did as I had a moan at Amazon when the initial arrival date had passed. Like buses, both arrived on the same day, one from Hong Kong, one from UK storage.

But you're not interested in that, and in answer to the question that has been the cause of this thread, I can confirm that it works with Carista loaded on my android phone (HTC m8s) using bluetooth!

I also tested with Dash Commander successfully, so it seems this item is pretty much a guaranteed worker for Carista and Android/Bluetooth.

• 2 months later...

I bought a cheap ebay bt elm for a MASSIVE £1! Lol works fine with torque, was quite surprised. He he

Bargain! However, they all seem to work with Torque, it's Carista that's the picky app. Does it work with that??

• Like 1

Haven't tried with carista. Might give it a go see what I can change with it. mine was a very tight fit (ooh err) was worried i might not be able to get it back out again actually!

Edited by tequilan

I bought a cheap ebay bt elm for a MASSIVE £1! Lol works fine with torque, was quite surprised. He he

Bargain! However, they all seem to work with Torque, it's Carista that's the picky app. Does it work with that??

the one I bought didnt even fit. The case was too big.

I got a mate with a vcds cable to measure it and its 40mm wide. I know that fits so anything wider will be hit and miss

Haven't tried with carista. Might give it a go see what I can change with it. mine was a very tight fit (ooh err) was worried i might not be able to get it back out again actually!

It works with Torque - I can see loads of live stats from my car. It was fun watching the MAF go through the roof when I booted it :D

I'm just going to spend the £32 and get the carista dongle and get carista pro (I have play store credit to use anyway).  Then if it still doesn't work I can kick off with them :D

Actually, here's a question or two. How accurate are these dongles? Do they just read information from the ECU and pass to the app or do they do some interpretation that could lead to inaccurate information due to tolerances within the dongle/app?

I ask as the cheapo Ebay dongle I had gave an "interesting" reading when using dash commander. I've not tried it with the other dongle and Carista or Torque yet....

Edited by nickgpfc

• 2 months later...

Is the general consensus that the ios dongles work better than the android or have a better chance of working? I've tried 2 android devices and both don't allow me to customize, I get the same statement when running the app saying my OBD Bluetooth device is defective.