Would Adblue put you off another diesel

Sad555

Would AdBlue put you off buying a diesel?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Would AdBlue put you off buying a diesel?

Think you're mixing that up with crankcase ventilation ?

EGR just introduces exhaust gases back into the intake.

Yeah, but the Provent catch can is supposed to take the oil content out to extend the EGR's life but there is so much plumbing in the modern diesel it's a mystery what goes where......maybe there is a combining of the two in some way.

Depends where the CCV is introduced into the intake. If it's downstream of the EGR, which I think is the case on the CR engines, there's no issue.

On the older PDs, the CCV was upstream of the EGR, so the oily fumes from the CCV mixed with the exhaust gas introduced by the EGR to form an oily crud.

(Diesels run hotter than petrols - that's why they make more NOx.)

Diesels don't run hotter than petrols. How many Yeti owners will now put their hands up and admit they are not using premium fuels and therefore creating problems with DPF etc..... 

Interesting. All our 2.0 TSi's pull well from low (1.1k 'ish) rpms, but the 2 Skoda's have much lower gearing , 3k rpm in 6th = 77 mph, but the EOS is different, 3k in 6th = 95 mph,

with similar differences in the lower gears.

It's possible that your Audi has similar gearing, we do notice that the EOS is usually 1 gear higher than the Skoda's, & that if we find ourselves in a hurry, we need to downshift more.

The good point is that we seem to cruise the EOS a little faster than the other cars, whilst keeping the rpm's down. 

DC

Yes, the TT probably does have similar gearing. Out in it tonight so I'll see what it's revving at if I can get into 6th! Won't be doing 95 though! That's the trouble you can only really use it on fast A roads and above. Even on the motorway, if going up an incline at about 60mph you have to change down, and that's with 208bhp and plenty of torque! Though obviously I'm not using it at that speed/gear.

For fun stuff, I have two wheels rather than four (and petrol, obviously, though some odd people do make diesel bikes - apparently the military like them).

I have my two wheeled stuff for more fun as well, mainly Triumphs. Which is why I'm perfectly happy with a low-powered diesel as my everyday car. :D

Edited by VAGCF

In a few years you won't have a choice of buying a diesel without adblue but if you want a yeti with performance you will need a diesel. Most cars including petrols have dmf to cope with the torque they produce. I even believe my 1.2 dsg does. Regarding egr valves my old Audi A3 2.0 pd had its fail open at about 110k and it wasn't too expensive to fix. Regarding technology both petrol and diesel are going to need more and more to cope with increasing emissions requirements at the moment it seems harder for diesels to comply but at the end of the day diesels have to win.

Regarding technology both petrol and diesel are going to need more and more to cope with increasing emissions requirements at the moment it seems harder for diesels to comply but at the end of the day diesels have to win.

Why do diesels 'have to win'? I would have thought that diesel is an inherently 'dirtier' fuel than petrol but more likely the winner will involve electric motors and depend on advances in battery technology. Alternatively a break through in Fuel Cell technology will scupper everything else!

• Like 2

Fossil fuels are going nowhere. Far too many people live in homes without off street parking to charge electric vehicles. These are also predominantly those with the least money to spend on new cars, paying higher fuel/road duty and maintaining an increasing amount of complex eco tech.

• Like 1

An inner city neighbour of my daughter has a Leaf with no off street parking - she couldn't believe that they would have to run a power cord across the footpath and gutter to 'refuel'.

It's 'Greens' electorate so probably reasonably secure, don't know that I'd sleep at night with that setup.

Citroen have just released their new C4 Picasso out here with the only engine being the 1.2 triple......Peugeot are withdrawing their diesels..............the old American expression 'it's all about cubes' is long gone.

This has all come about because the limits for NOx have been lowered so much in Euro 6 that the use of EGR could no longer get below the limits alone, hence the need for the SCR to help out.

Re my earlier comment about manufacturers being lazy in their development. Ford have managed to get their cars to EU6 without Adblue

• Like 1

An inner city neighbour of my daughter has a Leaf with no off street parking - she couldn't believe that they would have to run a power cord across the footpath and gutter to 'refuel'.

It's 'Greens' electorate so probably reasonably secure, don't know that I'd sleep at night with that setup.

I know people in this situation that don't do many miles.

So just pop to a Rapid charger for 30 minutes once or twice a week to "fill" the car up.

Free charging.

Back on the AdBlue, my A8 runs it and only needs a top up every 18,000 miles at service time.

I couldn't care less if the new Yeti had it.

I think EU6 says it all,with VAG and TOYOTA being the 2 biggest vehicle producers in the world but how many diesel cars do they sell in the USA.?

Why do diesels 'have to win'? I would have thought that diesel is an inherently 'dirtier' fuel than petrol but more likely the winner will involve electric motors and depend on advances in battery technology. Alternatively a break through in Fuel Cell technology will scupper everything else!

I think diesels will win because they are not going to go away because they are use exclusively in lorries and other large vehicles where there appears to be a lot of R&D money been spent. They are also more economical so overall there are less if somewhat more dirty exhaust emissions. Totally agree that electric motors are the ultimate future although I think fuel cell technology is a dead duck because of the problems manufacturing distributing and filling hydrogen and the cost of the fuel cell itself. Sadly there is no eYeti yet. Perhaps in 3 years time however it will make financial sense 

If it's not something you're going to be caught out by - with a warning light coming on only once it has actually run out and the car dies - and you get either enough warning to refill, or it lasts long enough for the dealers to replace it at certain intervals then I guess it would be fine (in other words, if I don't need to take any responsibility)

I think EU6 says it all,with VAG and TOYOTA being the 2 biggest vehicle producers in the world but how many diesel cars do they sell in the USA.?

With the price of fuel going up that could change.

• Like 1

I was under the impression that Fuel is going down not up.

Interesting who supplies Toyota with diesel engines? BMW

I was under the impression that Fuel is going down not up.

I was meaning long term, Americans are more upset than us about fuel prices over the last few years and with their gas guzzlers more economical European type cars are looking a lot more attractive.

'Gas' prices in America are commonly <$US2/gallon which is ~ £0.32 per litre and they are back into 'trucks' in a big way again.

The Ford F-150 is largely made of aluminium now, so it looks like they won't be weaning themselves off for quite some time particularly if the Iranian trade embargo is lifted allowing a significant increase in supply.

I've read VW has overtaken Toyota as the worlds biggest car manufacturer.

Edited by Ryeman

And America is now a net exporter of fuel.

I thought that was subject to congress passing the enabling legislation.......have they done that yet?

Diesels run hotter than petrols - that's why they make more NOx.

True of the peak temperatures, but I think Huskoda meant the exhaust gasses which are hotter in petrols. That's the reason why petrol engines have worse thermal and fuel efficiency: more heat goes into the exhaust pipe rather than being converted to work.

Edited by briskycat
  • Like 1

(Diesels run hotter than petrols - that's why they make more NOx.)

Diesels don't run hotter than petrols. How many Yeti owners will now put their hands up and admit they are not using premium fuels and therefore creating problems with DPF etc..... 

When you say premium fuels are you referring to brands (Shell, BP etc. v supermarket) or the brands top quality fuels like Shell V-Power? The handbook says nothing except quoting a standard and referring you to the fuel filler flap which only says do not use bio-diesel. 

I never use supermarket fuels but so far in the Yeti (2 weeks old) I've been using the normal grade of diesel as I've thought that's all my 110PS version would need. I used to use V-Power etc. in my previous A6 as that was 177BHP and sometimes in my 140BHP Passats.

The diesel in my Yeti is the most intrusive I've had in recent cars (I don't mind it though) and is louder than my Passats and even my old Fiat Stilo of 2003 vintage! Being an SE L I expected it to have quite good sound deadening.

What I'm getting to though, is that because I can clearly hear the engine, I'm sure that when accelerating, I can sometimes hear a "tinkling" noise, which if it was petrol I'd say was pinking! Diesels can't pink though can they?!!

When you say premium fuels ........

What I'm getting to though, is that because I can clearly hear the engine, I'm sure that when accelerating, I can sometimes hear a "tinkling" noise, which if it was petrol I'd say was pinking! Diesels can't pink though can they?!!

My '140' has a box fitted and lately I've been giving it a bit of 'wellie' and have noticed at absolute full throttle a chattering sound which I have put down to the fluttering of the turbo pressure relief valve.

I know exactly the sound you mean; by bizarre coincidence I was listening to mine (remapped 170) this morning on light throttle and thought that it sounded just like pinking on old petrols I used to own.