Android head unit DS820

Yup, the lack of buttons worries me too, hence why I'm aiming for the Eonon unit, here:

http://www.eonon.co.uk/Android-Car-GPS/GA5153F.html#photo

I know what you mean about the maxidot features. The reason I'm tempted by the android box is because of the way I can simply install apps like Poweramp, Spotify and Google maps.  Yes, I have that now via my phone but it means having to keep it charged, and have an aux cable trailing over half of the dash. The android box will have Torque on it too, meaning I can use it as a digital boost guage etc. At ~£300 it's worth a punt. Just can't decide which to do first - the stereo or MFSW...

I've also been looking at this but want dab and can't see the option.

There's also this one

http://www.eonon.co.uk/Specific-Car-GPS/D5153ZE.html

• Like 1

I've also been looking at this but want dab and can't see the option.

There's also this one http://www.eonon.co.uk/Specific-Car-GPS/D5153ZE.html

I have just bought this one from Amazon

http://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/vw-volkswagen-car-dvd-gps/skoda-radio-navigation-stereo-gps-head-unit/pumpkin-quad-core-8-inch-flush-panel-pure-android-4-4-kitkat-plug-and-play-car-stereo-gps-navigation-system-for-vw-skoda-seat-support-obd2-air-play-3g-wifi-canbus-7-color.html

Has DAB too but I haven't hooked it up as I don't have an aeriel

I've been using Tunein Radio instead for now which is a good substitute, just monitoring the data usage

yeah, like the 8" Pumpkin,but whats buzzered me a bit ist the missing Satnav Map system. Everthing only online via SIM connection or predownload maps before starting trip. For that price, the maps for western europe should be included. Otherwise its only a cheap 8" Tablet with a simple car radio

Phone link thing worked once and mirrored the Android screen of my phone incl. Google Maps perfectly well, but wouldn't connect thereafter. Rebooted the phone and again it worked the first time, but switch away and it won't switch back again, says phone not connected. Again, need a bit more time to figure out this bit.

Hi deemack, thanks a million for the info on phone/mirrorlink. Have you had any better luck in getting a stable connection?

Sort of... It won't work at all on my Nexus 5 but working consistently on my OnePlus X.

When I say consistently, I mean I have managed to get it to fire up every time. Problem is if a door is opened or something happens that flips the DS820 away from mirror link it won't reconnect.

I may have a workaround but I need to test it and I'm not going to get to it for a day or two but I'll update the thread in due course.

I get exactly the same PhoneLink disconnection on my Xperia Z3. Do anything which changes the screen, open a door, unclip a seatbelt, go into reverse, open any other app, or press the Home button, and PhoneLink disconnects. It won't reconnect either. If I retry the connection it fails. But exiting PhoneLink then going via Home/Menu/PhoneLink it normally connects again.

Sort of... It won't work at all on my Nexus 5 but working consistently on my OnePlus X.

When I say consistently, I mean I have managed to get it to fire up every time. Problem is if a door is opened or something happens that flips the DS820 away from mirror link it won't reconnect.

I may have a workaround but I need to test it and I'm not going to get to it for a day or two but I'll update the thread in due course.

I get exactly the same PhoneLink disconnection on my Xperia Z3. Do anything which changes the screen, open a door, unclip a seatbelt, go into reverse, open any other app, or press the Home button, and PhoneLink disconnects. It won't reconnect either. If I retry the connection it fails. But exiting PhoneLink then going via Home/Menu/PhoneLink it normally connects again.

That's a real shame - thanks again for the info guys. Suppose that it's not a show stopper as one could always connect the audio by Bluetooth and prop the phone up against the lid of the open dashboard storage box (as I usually do) but this feature would have made the DS820 a 'virtual android' device as well. Do you think the built-in Nav is up to scratch compared to Google Maps?

Really interested to hear about your workaround, deemack - if you get a chance, would be great to find out how you get on.  nmw - Audiosources were fairly responsive when I contacted them about getting a copy of the user manual - maybe they could sort this out with a firmware update?

The onboard nav is Sygic. Not really comparable to Google Maps. It's basic but works well enough if you're patient.

I've read on here that it doesn't do UK postcodes but since I don't live in the UK I can't comment on that aspect.

It's got all the useful POI's in my rural locality and as far as I can see the routing is fine. Directions are clear but I'd need to use it in real world driving to make a properly informed comment.

Haven't got back to the phone link issue yet, but hopefully soon.

The onboard nav is Sygic. Not really comparable to Google Maps. It's basic but works well enough if you're patient.

I've read on here that it doesn't do UK postcodes but since I don't live in the UK I can't comment on that aspect.

It's got all the useful POI's in my rural locality and as far as I can see the routing is fine. Directions are clear but I'd need to use it in real world driving to make a properly informed comment.

Haven't got back to the phone link issue yet, but hopefully soon.

Thanks again deemack.

I'm in Denmark so no UK postcodes is no sweat for me either. The driving directions on GMaps can be a bit shaky, and the English language text-to-speech engine makes an almighty mess of Danish place names  :no:

Can you turn the voice prompts ("door open", "please fasten your seat belt") off?

Haven't found a way to turn off the voice prompts, but haven't looked for one... yet.

Tried a few different Androids with the mirror link earlier and they all exhibit the same issue. Connection works OK at first but as soon as the DS820 switches away it won't reconnect the mirror link. Only way back in is to tap [Exit] then [Home] then [Mirror Link] and it goes back in no problem like NMW said. This appears to be a bug in the software on the head unit. While it's working it's fine though.

Noticed that the Maxidot has an extra entry for Audio this evening. Relays basic info and the bottom button on the right stalk allows you to cycle through some of the functions. Aux In, Bluetooth, TV, Radio. On Radio, the rocker will change station but only shows the frequency not the full RDS info. There may be settings that can be tweaked, time will tell and I don't have a lot of time :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, the lack of buttons worries me too, hence why I'm aiming for the Eonon unit, here:

http://www.eonon.co.uk/Android-Car-GPS/GA5153F.html#photo

I know what you mean about the maxidot features. The reason I'm tempted by the android box is because of the way I can simply install apps like Poweramp, Spotify and Google maps.  Yes, I have that now via my phone but it means having to keep it charged, and have an aux cable trailing over half of the dash. The android box will have Torque on it too, meaning I can use it as a digital boost guage etc. At ~£300 it's worth a punt. Just can't decide which to do first - the stereo or MFSW...

What did you decide to get?

Edited by dudgers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I took the plunge and ordered the Ds-820. So far so good. Install was a doddle and took about 20 minutes, mostly routing the GPS antenna. I've got it up by the interior mirror. and the signal is pretty good.

Has anyone managed to get it working with an iPhone/ipod for music on the USB link cable? I've tried but it keeps saying no iPod connected. I've got a 32gb micro SD card in too. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tried hooking up an iPhone SE to the USB but the DS-820 doesn't read it. There is a pop-up on the phone on connection asking if you want to allow the connected device to read pictures etc. but even allowing it the DS-820 still reports "USB not found" when you try to select the USB input option on the head unit.

Bluetooth streaming worked fine and the iPhone charges OK though.

I did contact Rob at Icebox and he doesn't believe the iPod works over USB. I suspect it needs an additional cable to the read.

Still, great head unit for the cost. I've now fully fitted the GPS antenna up by the rear view mirror and so far the signal is very good.

I also have the GPS antenna up by the mirror and signal reception is excellent. I did however have some occasional niggles with the routing whereby the onboard Sygic navigation program would pick a route that was needlessly longer than the one suggested by Google Maps. 99% of the time it's fine, just does the odd one where you look at it and think "why's it done that?".

One thing I found is that if you reset the nav system to defaults it takes ages to complete and the HU is extremely laggy while it's happening. I also ran into a freeze up problem and Icebox are sourcing a firmware update for that, although it was a one-off occurrence and the HU recovered OK after.

Aside form that, the only other fly in the ointment is that the phone link is just not there yet. When it works, it does the job well enough but it's too buggy to be useful. Feels more like an alpha build than something that's been through QA. I didn't buy the unit for the phone link though, I just wanted Nav & BT and both work perfectly well to be fair. Maybe a firmware update will sort the phone link, who knows?

To be fair, there's not a lot to argue with given the cost compared to an OEM unit.

Glad I didn't go for this in the end if I'm honest. It sounds like it has a lot of good features that only seem to work OK.  The stuttering or constant having to reconnect would irritate me a LOT over time.  The reason I want rid of the Bolero is mainly down to the loading times of the SD card...

TBH I'd prefer to have gone the OEM route myself with a Columbus but dropping that sort of cash on a HU I just couldn't justify.

If I'd bought the 820 just for the phone link I'd have returned it by now, no question about that, but my #1 requirement was Bluetooth and #2 was Nav and this does both well enough. Radio and SD card work fine for what I need audio wise and it looks OEM which I like, so it does the job.

If you go the Android route, l'd be interested to hear how you get on...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, a month down the line and how is it shaping up?

Good points.

Simple install and looks very OEM

Good sound quality. Need to play and tweak the equalizer a bit but nothing too bad.

Music over bluetooth works fine

Micro SD card plays well, changes song smoothly and no lag on first play. Album art work does display but a bit slow to load

SatNav works well with antenna up by rear view mirror and dashcam.

Vehicle status works very well once set up and info seem accurate.

No battery drain

Not so good.

Reflective screen in bright light.

Dimmer needs more graduations. Full to minimum brightness is very slight. Next option is off.

SatNav mapping occasionally wrong where it ignores roundabout exits

Cannot get iPod option to work with iPhone.

If you engage reverse before radio kicks in, the radio etc. goes louder not quieter so you can hear beeping.

Over all, very impressed with it, just wish iPhone integration was better but guess that's a lot to ask. Tempted to get reversing cam to fit.

Edited by darrenw
  • Like 1