Everything posted by Paul52
-
Water in front footwell - not sunroof related
Thanks Stubod. When I got home I used a watering can to poor water down each of the four drains below the windscreen and then into the channel around the sunroof and got a decent stream of water out of each of them. So I think you are right - it was just the sheer volume of water; it was quite a storm that night but a couple of nights later we had prolonged heavy rain (but nowhere near as intense) and there was no sign of water in the footwell the next morning. I'm going to mark it down to exceptional conditions and not worry about it.
-
Best engine for the Yeti
My 1.2 TSi (2013 model) has returned 41.4 mpg over its 11 years, much of which has been short local trips. It's now routinely returning between 43 and 44mpg based on the average of 5 brim-to-brim fills, so much the same as Expatman's 1.2 TSIs. Most of the time it's just me and management in the car and the performance has never disappointed me but in the past I've been on holiday with four adults and all their luggage and whilst some of the hills in the West Country were "challenging" I never felt we weren't going to make it. At those times I've wondered whether the 1.4TSi might have suited me better but they were like hens' teeth. But most importantly - it's never let me down. "Which engine suits the Yeti the best"? The one that doesn't let you down and on that criteria and based on posts I've seen over the years on this forum that rules out the 1.8TSi straight away!"
-
Water in front footwell - not sunroof related
Thanks Stubod. I'll bear this in mind if it becomes a recurring problem - we've had quite a bit more rain since the tottential storm but everything still seems OK so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
-
Water in front footwell - not sunroof related
i gThanks for that. I'll try the bike cable when I get home. Hadn't thought of the bulkhead drain but I did have to clean that once before.
-
Water in front footwell - not sunroof related
I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. The problems of leaking sunroofs is well documented on this forum and elsewhere but so far (touching wood) I've been lucky and not had this problem. Usually the car is garaged under a car port with a 6' fence down the side so reasonably well protected from inclement weather. But this week we are on holiday in the Peak District so it's parked in the open. And we had a ferocious storm a couple of night ago with thunder, lightening and torrential rain. I went out in the morning fearing the worst and there was a small pool of water sitting on the rubber mat in the passenger footwell but the headlining was bone dry. We had more rain yesterday but no more water so I'm wondering whether it was just the sheer intensity of the rain forcing water past the front passenger door seals? It wasn't a lot of water - less than half a cup - so I was able to take the mat out and pour it away. With still plenty of long term owners on the forum and a good number of former owners looking in I just thought I'd ask if anyone else had experienced this.
-
Dash icons
If it's the original battery in a 2013 car I'd say its served very well and deserves retirement. To have lasted more than 10 years the battery has done very well and a new one will cost you less than a couple of hours of a technician's time (so to my mind it's a cheap diagnostic test) with the reassurance of knowing you've got a reliable battery for the next few years. If you do fit a new battery bear in mind that sometimes the warning lights still show for the first couple of miles before extinguishing as the electronics rest themselves. (I'm not an expert but have read A LOT of advice on this forum over the years so I'm just repeating it back).
-
Rear driver-side door won't open.
Hi, welcome to the forum. As you've not had replies from any of the more knowledgeable members so far I'll try and help. Problems with doors locking and unlocking often get traced to a break in the wiring loom where they pass through the rubber thingy. The advice has been to pull this back and take a look to see if there is an obvious broken wire. If you can establish this is the problem although a new loom is the recommended fix it comes at a price and people have reported successfully bypassing the break with a new piece of wire. If you search the forum you will find quite a few threads about this issue and in some cases detailing successful repairs. If like me you have neither the skills or patience for car repairs a good indepenedent garage should have seen the problem before, be able to properly diagnose it and do an affordable fix.
-
Goodbye to Yeti
Whatever you've got, I hope it gives you at least half as much pleasure as your Yetis obviously have. As you implied, the race to conformity and blandness means there's not much of a choice out there; now in my early 70s I'm wondering whether I can keep my 11 year old Yeti until age, infirmity or death make driving no longer possible. That's how much I hate changing cars. But, reading it back, none of those three options appeal 🙂. So I keep reading post of what people are moving to and the posts why they should have chosen something else, get more and more confused and decide to keep the Yeti a bit longer.... I recognised your comment about most things are "set and forget". My Yeti has park assist - push a button and it parallel parks for you. Except you have to think ahead to use it and I don't think anythng is foolproof so I've used it maybe half a dozen times, back in the early days and usually just to show off to friends. Other than wind the windows up and down and change the wireless everything else stays pretty much the same month to month. Enjoy the new car. And don't forget the Yeti was a car where the surprises just kept coming - see the section "I didn't know the Yeti did that..." I think I was still finding new features years into ownership - like the little lever in the console box. Don't be a stranger to the forum, but understand that as you are no longer a Yeti owner you'll have to sit att he back in the cheap seats - it looks like Graham has put his coat on one to reserve it for you. And I'll also be interested to hear your thoughts on the Mini once you've settled to it.
-
Dash icons
As above, I'd start with an aging battery as the possible culprit. Over the years there have been lots of weird issues, including various warning lights coming on together, that came down to an aging battery. I experienced this with my own Yeti - new battery, problem solved. Some of the electronics seem very sensitive to battery condition and the problems you are seeing can be an early warning of the batteries demise. Which of course will be after midnight, somewhere remote and with no phone signal.
-
2017 yeti door locking
"Had it to a auto electrian when it first started with just the front passenger door not opening he fitted a new actuator which worked for 2 days then went again , he got in touch with VW who say it could be the module ?" What would we do without Briskoda and its members?
-
Excessive Vibrations at between 1500 - 2000rpm under load
I had a similar problem with my Volvo V50, in part leading me to trade it in for my Yeti. The local garage, a long established Volvo main dealership, tried various things without success and ended up bringing down a Master Technician from Volvo HQ. He confidently diagnoses a faulty dual mass flywheel which was duly replaced under warranty (avoiding a nasty dent in my savings) but it didn't make any difference. So I never got to the bottom of the problem with the Volvo but just as a suggestion could it be a worn, faulty or loose engine mounting? I'm asking only because a family member has a Robin Reliant (you know, one of those cars where they forgot to put a wheel on each corner) and at various times he has had hard to diagnose vibration problems that have come back to an damaged engine mounting - this car seems to just eat them. Just a thought.
-
Bio Fuel, any thoughts re suitability
"I would check with the Dealer." Past experiences of some members on this forum with their dealers and VW's unfortunate recent history with diesels would make me nervous about being an early adopter but if you think it's worth a go I would try and get something in writing from Skoda UK. At least then if something goes wrong you have the evidence for a potential claim. As VW/Skoda are not listed as manufacturers who have approved the use I'd be cautious.
-
Engine dies when horn used
Just out of curiosity did recharging the battery or changing it for a new one solve the problem?
-
Fisker Ocean - very risky bargain Yeti replacement !?
My first thought was "If you want to throw your money away....." and clearly there's a big gamble here but then I thought "What's your break even point?". Cars are much more relaible than they used to be and electrics are supposedly more reliable than fossil fuels (or so we are being told). I've had my Yeti (petrol) 11 years now and the only repairs have been to brakes and suspension, parts where there's a healthy market for non-Skoda parts and the same might apply here as there's a good chance many of the parts are "borrowed" from other manufacturers. If we assumed trouble free motoring to six years (not unreasonable) and then it became unrepairable that's just over £5,000 a year depreciation so the gamble doesn't look so bad. After those 6 years the depreciation per year is even less. It's beginning to look not so much like a wild gamble. Or this a case where a finance deal actually makes sense - if it's a lemon and you really couldn't get it fixed could you return the car and pay the finance penalty and if so how would that stack up? It will be interesting to hear other people's views as with new manufacturers appearing I'm sure others will be facing the same dilemma in the future.
-
Engine dies when horn used
If your battery is at an age where you might be anticipating a replacement in the foreseeable future don't rule it out as a cause of your problem. I've been lurking on this forum for 11 years and seen members tearing their hair out with strange and wonderous problems which all came down to a failing battery - even sometimes when the evidence suggested the battery was fine. I did experience this myself with odd and unrelated things happening when the car got to four or five years old, even though the car started every time without problems. I took the risk on replacing the battery (thinking it wouldn't be money wasted and would cost less than a couple of hours of mechanics time) and everything was back to normal. As Skoda say "Simply Clever" but for owners sometimes "Annoyingly Frustrating". It's only a suggestion if your battery is getting a bit long in the tooth however.
-
The Yeti - a Cult
If you can see more than one finger it counts as a wave. For me the Yeti has been a unique experience. It's the only time I've walked up to random strangers to ask about their car (before I ordered mine) and this is the only on-line group I am or have been a member of; although when I joined the forum 11 years ago it was much more a social network than it is now as the original members have moved on. However it still remains a useful font of knowledge on all things Yeti. If we are a cult then you can count me in.
-
Pole - Has your pan roof ever leaked??
Elegance 1.2 Tsi, elevwn years old and, touch wood, never had the dreaded leak.
-
Swapping driver and passenger seat backs and squabs
Some years back I wore through the fabric (some sort of polyester material) on the side of the driver's seat on my then Peugeot. I went to an independent vehicle upholster and it was suprisingly affordable to have both the damaged seat and the passenger seat completely re-upholstered. Although the passenger seat wasn't showing sign of wear I wanted them to match but also took the opportunity to have the areas that had shown wear on the driver's seat finished with leather panels complementing the fabric. I know it wasn't a lot of money because at that time with a family and mortgage etc. I didn't have money to waste on a whim. Might be worth looking for somewhere local you can speak to?
-
Yeti economy
for those interested in this sort of thing, I've now had my Yeti 1.2tsi for 11 years and being somewhat nerdy have kept fill-to-fill fuel consumption records since new. Over the 11 years I've average a very reasonable 41.4 mpg with a best of 47.1mpg. Last week I'd booked a week's holiday in the Peak District but for family reasons the journey was Portsmouth-Hull-Ashbourne and return the following week. Between long stretches of motorway driving and the hills and narrow roads of the Peak District the Yeti's reputation of driving a brick through the air at anything over about 50mph suggested I'd be lucky to see 40mpg. In fact I was surprised to get a genuine 46mpg for the 1,150 miles I did. Which I don't think was at all bad for the types of driving i did and for more than half the miles it was with three adults and all the luggage needed for a week's holiday (i.e. packed to fill every available space). Not a bad result for a petrol engine.
-
Steering wheel radio control
Thanks for clearing that up - rereading my post the unwary could think I was suggesting using graphite powder for the switch problems (which wasn't my intention) and that could turn a problem into a disaster!
-
Steering wheel radio control
My first thought would have been WD40 but I recently sawa warning about not using it to free up stiff door locks because although intitially it will seem to do the job apparently it does "attract" dust (presumably holds onto fine dust that gets in) so causes problems later on. The advice was to use a fine graphite powder. Presumably the same could happen with switches. So I would agree for your problem to first try a proper switch cleaner as hopefully even if it doesn't resolve the problem it won't make it worse in the short or longer term.
-
Question re advertising Yeti wheels
Ebay fees are around 13%. And that's fine; you make a sale and make some money. Freedom membership recognises the value you get from the advice, suggestions and information you've had from other forum members over the years and, even with the minimal work I do on my car, I'd say it's been value for money (incuding in those early days of ownership "What on earth does that do?" questions.
-
Oil leak
I've got the same with my Yeti, same model and a few months newer. It's been picked up at the last three MOT's (including a couple of days ago) and the mechanics' advice has been it is minimal, it will be expensive to start investigating and as I'm not having to top up the oil between services and there is no oil staining on the drive - don't worry about it. I'm sure "don't worry about it" will be anathema to those that love a weekend ctawling around with an oily rag and handful of spanners but in this case my inhenernt laziness and a reluctance to spend money means i'm going to follow the professional advice. It may be a case of don't fix it when it ain't broke.
-
Door lock adjustment
This may not be the source of your problem - we all know how a frustrating it can be trying to tackle rattles - but for about six months my wife and I drove around trying to pick up where a rattle was coming from. I checked and tightened every fixing I could see, we emptied out all the boxes and side pockets, emptied the boot, checked under the seats, even took the spare wheel and tools out from under the boot floor. Still we had the rattle. Then purely by chance I found one of the pegs that the parcel shelf strings hang from was loose. Only half a turn or so but I tightened it up and no more rattle. So might be worth checking as it only takes two seconds.
-
Battery gone dead
From years on this forum - new battery was the way to go. Over the years people have reported lots of strange problems which were resolved when a new battery went in. And this way you know the battery isn't going to let you down at an inconvenient time and place.